advertisement

How much should you pay for a volume pot replacement

peter bj

pfm Member
One of my amps has developed a problem with the volume pot and have been quoted a wide variation for the job with the distributor being about 5x the cost of the cheapest , so how much would you expect to pay ?

There's a few variables in there (excuse the pun). Try posting the question in the 'diy' section with the amp/pot details - lots of knowledgeable chaps frequent that area.

What's the fault BTW? Is it channel imbalance/scratchy, is it a a stepped attenuator - have you tried a quick spray of switch cleaner? Pots vary in price so it would be a complete guess as far as replacement cost, unless you know the model?

One of my amps has developed a problem with the volume pot and have been quoted a wide variation for the job with the distributor being about 5x the cost of the cheapest , so how much would you expect to pay ?

Depends on how much the pot costs and how hard it is to replace the pot.
A highly regarded TKD 2CP-2511 costs over £80 from Hificollective but the Alp blue beauty is only £14.

The volume pot in my Onix is connected with flying leads, so it'ss easy to unbolt and replace. Some are soldered to a pcb and removing the pcb can be a real pain.

Depends on how much the pot costs and how hard it is to replace the pot.
A highly regarded TKD 2CP-2511 costs over £80 from Hificollective but the Alp blue beauty is only £14.

The volume pot in my Onix is connected with flying leads, so it'ss easy to unbolt and replace. Some are soldered to a pcb and removing the pcb can be a real pain.
And I bought one! But it has a weird log slope.:(
But I think the OP is asking how much the work should cost.

The OP question doesn't contain enough info to give a reliable answer. As others have already stated it depends how much the volume control costs (and they vary enormously in price), it also depends on the labour charge and the warranty applied. If the repair is sanctioned as manufacturer approved expect to pay more.

I have the correct volume pot from the manufacturer so that cost is paid , it just needs to be fitted . the old one does need to be removed from a pcb and the new soldered back into place

I have the correct volume pot from the manufacturer so that cost is paid , it just needs to be fitted . the old one does need to be removed from a pcb and the new soldered back into place

It would help in helping to know what the pot is from the start - is it a 6/8 pin per chance? Part number? Shouldn't cost much to swap it over, 10 minutes at most - or do it yourself for the cost of a cheap 35w iron, a sucker and a short roll of solder [no need for anything special]

It would help in helping to know what the pot is from the start - is it a 6/8 pin per chance? Part number? Shouldn't cost much to swap it over, 10 minutes at most - or do it yourself for the cost of a cheap 35w iron, a sucker and a short roll of solder [no need for anything special]

Shouldn't cost much to swap it over, 10 minutes at most -

Assuming you already have the amp apart and the PCB removed to work on.

Then of course you have to test it and re assemble.

If you can do all that in 10 minutes I have a pile of jobs for you ;)

Assuming you already have the amp apart and the PCB removed to work on.

Then of course you have to test it and re assemble.

If you can do all that in 10 minutes I have a pile of jobs for you ;)

I presumed this was a cost exercise, hence the question - so yes, assuming it would already be disassembled to offset the labour. 'Test' for continuity, of a supplied potentiometer - not a big job.

But it all depends on the amp/pot, as questioned just a couple of times.

If mounted on a PCB, of course the spindle then protrudes through the front panel (usually, unless one of those long remote control jobbies). If the PCB is still in the case.... then the job could be anywhere from fairly easy to stupidly difficult.

Since we do not know what make of amp we are talking about..it hard to advice further.

Would like to keep make off forum for now ,but basically the circuit board will probably have to be removed to fix the new volume control

The volume control is on a small pcb which is connected to the main board with a ribbon cable ,just arough estimate would be useful

The ribbon cable almost certainly plugs into a connector on the main PCB so the small PCB should be easy enough to remove. Most repairers charge for a minimum of one hour and that is likely to be in the area of £50 to £70 plus the cost of parts.

Most places charge sucker rates. If you take something expensive to be repaired they charge more regardless of the actual job.

The post above gives a good indication, unless you have a 10,000 quid amp in which case the Importer will try and rape you for 200 quid or more.

advertisement

Back