advertisement

Mordaunt Short MS 10 - great

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Just got a pair for a second hi-fi set up. And they are bloody good - very open and musical in the top and middle range. Had to fill up the ports with some straw action to cut the bass bloat which am I very intolerant of. They lose detail a bit at low volume levels but they are excellent value for £35.

They should impress the camping site I am going to visit next weekend.

Just got a pair for a second hi-fi set up. And they are bloody good - very open and musical in the top and middle range. Had to fill up the ports with some straw action to cut the bass bloat which am I very intolerant of. They lose detail a bit at low volume levels but they are excellent value for £35.

They should impress the camping site I am going to visit next weekend.

:D:D

I used apair of ms 20s for many years but they probably aren't the same thing.

:D:D

I used apair of ms 20s for many years but they probably aren't the same thing.

If they are the mid 90's incarnations they are pretty much cut from the same cloth!

They were a lot of fun and worked well with the rock and dance stuff I used to listen too back then :)

I scored a pair of ms20 pearls from hyperfi for my 14th birthday and used them with a rotel wooden cased amp, I was the envy of my mates :D

If they are the mid 90's incarnations they are pretty much cut from the same cloth!

They were a lot of fun and worked well with the rock and dance stuff I used to listen too back then :)

I scored a pair of ms20 pearls from hyperfi for my 14th birthday and used them with a rotel wooden cased amp, I was the envy of my mates :D

That would defo be over and above a ghetto blaster.

No, my ms's were '82 vintage. (audio excellence specials when small was beautiful in crwys road, cardiff)

My ex father in law has a pair of the old early ones, they certainly sounded fine to me on the end of his 80's marantz amp amd sl1200 tt

good speakers.. similar tonality to Epos speakers of the time, due to common driver technologies. I liked the MS10i's, the pearl editions were even better

I have some MS10i's they're superb little speakers. I've run them with a Nait 2 and now a Fatman iTube and they're great. Very musical.

Yup neat little designs. Ive got two pairs of 20's I used for cinema. They are low mass designs and have poor damping of their Walls. I bonded rubber carpet underlay to the inside panels and that cut down the cabinet talk nicely. Added a little of the foamed rubber underlay over the x/ over behind the woofer to cut back reflections thru the cone.

One pair are Pearl, other bog standard, they appear to be identical inside....

good speakers.. similar tonality to Epos speakers of the time, due to common driver technologies. I liked the MS10i's, the pearl editions were even better

They made luxury stanmounts called "Classics" bloody good, more like mini Epos. A friend had a pair and they were as well resolved as my ls3/5a's but faster, more dynamic and without the thickened upper bass hump.

I went through 2 pairs of MS Pagent series 2 years ago and when I think back they were truely excellent speakers. :)

Alan

I've had the MS10 (1995) and the MS10i and now have the MS20 pearls in my second system , love em to bits , interesting tips to try out.

Apparently the pearls were designed by Robin Marshall .

The mk2 of the MS10 was certainly very good. Unfussy, and it didn't even try to do what it couldn't and made didn't get in the way of the music. Personally I preferred the Royd A7 and Consiton Rs but the 10s were very good.

The original MS20 was excellent.

A friend's shop used to mod theirs back in the day. An extra splodge of glue behind the front baffle and an upgrade of internal wiring. It worked well.

Yup, the baffle is a thin plastic lattice moulding with drivers bonded to it. I've thought about filling the cells in the lattice with plumbers mate or similar non drying mastic. You could add mass damping by putting lead shot into it.

Just picked up a pair after feeling nostalgic for selling my MS System 442 over 20 years ago. The MS10 are quite the little speaker. Taking first place over the kans, nht zero and PSB's in the bedroom

I've got 3 or 4 pairs of the little 05s. One set has been in my classroom at school on the end of a Cyrus 1 for around 15 years, used for around 6 hours a day during term-time for language teaching. They do a great job and can give a real sense of scale on film from bluray/DVD and satellite TV.
The others are used in various surround / centre channel rôles at home. I once compared them to my then main speakers, Rogers LS6a, and there wasn't that much in it apart from the bigger scale of the Rogers.
They were a great little range of speaker.

Son has a pair of MS20s which came from AlexS of this parish a good few years ago. I well remember trying them against my then resident Epos 14s and being fairly shocked at how those little 20s almost eclipsed the 14s.

Mr Tibbs

advertisement

Back