advertisement

what next format to revive?

Why not?
Nothing like a bit of a different kind of reproduction diversity,, for a change. I am frankly sick of people constantly stating they are computer-storing music. There , I see massive retrieval problems forming in the years ahead, from conflicting various current apps. methods becoming no longer "supported" by still new Computer programming.

Just look at the problem that arose when SACD was seen as the great 'advance' to re-issue all past release music? It overlooked the fact that most master tapes faced - by storing its analogue material on acetate tape, which deteriorated though over-work use , age, print-through, mishandling etc Then studios (without thinking ) started panicking - and converted so much material to '16 bit -44,00Ohz' for so called 'future safe preservation while completely casting off the original tapes.
By that stage, the original stock was now set and locked in 'unchangeable stone' at a lesser digital format than what was really available.

As for the claims made with so many current 'audiophile- marketed ' vinyl releases of some decades old analogue performance at premium prices as "nothing but 100% purist analogue processing " - being the standard in the whole resurrection chain ...."when should we all stop laughing at the proposition?"

I'm not sure about "massive retrieval problems forming in the years ahead".

Wav files have been around for quite a while and so have countless types of media files which can easily be read by a wide range of software applications.

I still keep a C90 cassette in my Denon deck ready to catch something unexpected on the radio.
Oh, and listen to it on my Sony Walkman cassette player
on the bus.
Cassette is alive and well in my house...

MiniDisc! MiniDisc! MiniDisc!

I use a lot of sources on a regular basis, including LP, CD, SACD, DVD-A, cassette, MiniDisc, and FM radio. I have some reel tape, some cylinders, some 78s, and a couple of 8-tracks as well, though I currently have no way to play them.

DAT is cool as well. I bought a player but ended up giving it to a musician friend who had a lot of his band's stuff on DAT, but no machine of his own.

I put a live Alyson Krauss cassette on the Nak 505 last weekend and was astonished by how good it sounded.

"What's up" with the so-called SEEMINGLY 'random' and unNECESSARY use of ALL caps, ellipsis and "single" and 'double' quotation marks in "poSTs"?

Is it some SORT of secret "code" : FOR the "AUDIOfile" Illuminati?

Joe

I use a lot of sources on a regular basis, including LP, CD, SACD, DVD-A, cassette, MiniDisc, and FM radio. I have some reel tape, some cylinders, some 78s, and a couple of 8-tracks as well, though I currently have no way to play them.

DAT is cool as well. I bought a player but ended up giving it to a musician friend who had a lot of his band's stuff on DAT, but no machine of his own.

I put a live Alyson Krauss cassette on the Nak 505 last weekend and was astonished by how good it sounded.

I agree about minidsc. especially if you have the last portable Sony made ( MZ-RH1? ) that will allow upload from minidisc to pc. so that recordngs are not locked to the disc!

I agree about minidsc. especially if you have the last portable Sony made ( MZ-RH1? ) that will allow upload from minidisc to pc. so that recordngs are not locked to the disc!
I don't, sadly. But I bought a box of 200 discs from a wedding DJ who had moved on to a hard-drive system. Titles like "90s Power Ballads" and "70s Disco". Instant party!

"What's up" with the so-called SEEMINGLY 'random' and unNECESSARY use of ALL caps, ellipsis and "single" and 'double' quotation marks in "poSTs"?

Is it some SORT of secret "code" : FOR the "AUDIOfile" Illuminati?

Joe

Where?

I have a Tascam prof. Minidisc deck and a Sony portable.
Useful kit.
No way can I match the above though...

Are cassette tapes making an unexpected comeback?

note the picture wrong way around lol

next 78's wax cyclinders?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35634008

Such idiocy in fashion and hype. Cassettes were such a poor sounding music format. There is also now the audiophool trend of playing tapes. I believe these actually can sound really good but there are so many practical issues with them (availability, storage, durability, gear, etc.)

I don't care what is 'revived' next. I am happy buying CDs and old LPs.

I think reel to reel will be the next retro hifi fashion.
I have a small curiosity about R2R. They look proper retro and a 15ips machine is capable of truly high fidelity. Compact Cassettes, not so much, except on Naks.

advertisement

Back