advertisement

'Trying too hard'

Massively have to disagree with this one. Whether or not you 'get' the music, I dont think anyone can wonder why people rate a band that has been consistently releasing music for just under 30 years..... and ONLY just peaking in popularity. They must be doing something right!!! And as for trying too hard, take a look at the guitar solo on youtube on the track Hollow Years from the Live at Budokan show..... technical yes.... but emotional... hell yes.

I don't slag music because it really is each to their own. However............just watching Dream Theater - The Gift Of Music [OFFICIAL VIDEO] on youtube.
a) shoot the stylist
b) stop dying your hair/beard (see Macca)
c) stop noodling
d) get rid of 2/3s of you drum kit
e) and a 1/3 of your bass strings
f) guitar solos are not emotional they are fret ****ing
g) it isn't 1974, punk has happened, you have been rumbled.
h) a choir on a non-Christmas song?

Whoops!! No offence meant, honestly!!

Talking of The Mighty Fall: Mark E Smith kind of outed himself as a drunken UKIPer/Tory/Little Englander on the C4 News last week. Uncomfortable viewing.

London Calling is a great record, even if they were trying too hard.

To accuse Tom Waits of the same thing is misunderstanding what he's about, IMO.

The 3 acts mentioned in the OP all work with narrative constructs while seeming to operate in a genre (singer-songwriter) that values the "authentic" communication of the artist's true feelings. The work's bound to seem artificial and laboured if the listener is expecting the kind of transparent personal expression that is thought to just spill out effortlessly from certain gifted people. Not sure I like this theatrical kind of stuff myself, but I don't think they're trying too hard. You could say sometimes they mis-cast themselves.

Talking of The Mighty Fall: Mark E Smith kind of outed himself as a drunken UKIPer/Tory/Little Englander on the C4 News last week. Uncomfortable viewing.

Yes, the anti-immigration/refugee rant was pretty bad. Especially as his wife appears to be an immigrant.

I don't slag music because it really is each to their own. However............just watching Dream Theater - The Gift Of Music [OFFICIAL VIDEO] on youtube.
a) shoot the stylist
b) stop dying your hair/beard (see Macca)
c) stop noodling
d) get rid of 2/3s of you drum kit
e) and a 1/3 of your bass strings
f) guitar solos are not emotional they are fret ****ing
g) it isn't 1974, punk has happened, you have been rumbled.
h) a choir on a non-Christmas song?

Whoops!! No offence meant, honestly!!

Haha I can agree with one or two bits there! You really have a passion against them though, it's great to see such passion in your conviction. Fortunately, I think a band that is going so strong after 30 years can survive some put downs from a guy on a PFM forum ;)

Haha I can agree with one or two bits there! You really have a passion against them though, it's great to see such passion in your conviction. Fortunately, I think a band that is going so strong after 30 years can survive some put downs from a guy on a PFM forum ;)

I dont hate them, don't worry. They aren't my cup of tea. I am "as one" with music and I am glad it is a broad church. You have passion for a band will give us more in common than not. I can be snobby about it but it is playful. I even survived being dragged to a couple of Porcupine Tree gigs.

I was out with a couple the other night and they were talking about music for their wedding. One of them was saying they weren't passionate about music and couldn't really think of any songs. That, to me, is far more upsetting than any band.

I was out with a couple the other night and they were talking about music for their wedding. One of them was saying they weren't passionate about music and couldn't really think of any songs. That, to me, is far more upsetting than any band.

You are absolutely spot on. How bland my life would be without music :)

I like the original premise better rather to praise those who don't, rather than single out those that do, really...The effortless grace of anyone that's extremely good at what they do can be quite beguiling. I'm not a fan of Sinatra per se but listening to him sing...holy cow! the timing of every phrase he sings is just sublimely natural with seemingly no effort at all. I can see why he is held in such high regard. Miles Davis the same (not his singing)

advertisement

Back