advertisement

Looking for a pre that is better than Naim NAC52

OP, if you like the Naim sound, then nothing is better than a 52. If you don't, then almost nothing is worse.

If you want to change the presentation, then the choices are many.

I agree. The 52 for me is just fabulous. And I've had a few pre amps.
Alternative presentations and choices are huge.
I've thought about checking out a Spectral pre amp in the past after hearing a system with one installed.
Lost interest though. Decided to get the 52 and s/cap fully serviced at A1.
I would like to borrow one of those Music First passives for a while though. Just in case.

Stick with the 52 if you like it. It's a great preamp. It can be made greater still if you upgrade the power supply and/or cabling.

However I must admit I was grinning madly when I heard the Music First passive preamp. It was remarkably musical.

Stick with the 52 if you like it. It's a great preamp. It can be made greater still if you upgrade the power supply and/or cabling.

However I must admit I was grinning madly when I heard the Music First passive preamp. It was remarkably musical.

Yes, I think they would be my two favourite pre amps, quite different from each other though.

Why would they be different, the transformer 'could' change the FR if used with long cable runs, do Naim tailor the FR on their preamps?
Keith.

Far too little info. to go on. What are the ancillary pieces of kit ? Also, if your 52 hasn't had the pots 8 treatment, it'll be a bit long in the tooth.

I find it strange to ask for advice without giving any clues to help that advice. No part of a hifi system is an entity unto itself.

Another option (one that has done sterling service for >10 years in my rig) would be a Classe' CP-500...

The CP-500 is a rather substantial unit with a massive and over-spec'ed power supply that is based on a dual-mono mirror-image main board (with rear panel showing this quite clearly)...

DSCN3068-1024x328.jpg

Inputs include 3 x single-ended RCA sockets (one of which is "sacrificed" if using the Classe' bespoke optional add-in phono stage); 2 x balanced XLR sockets and one tape loop (input half).

Outputs include 1 x single-ended tape output (fixed level); 1 x single-ended main out (variable); and one balanced main out (also variable).

The user interface is via a display panel with multiple nested formats and is customisable in terms of input selector labelling and offers setup facilities to adjust gain and balance by input to ensure output is consistent when switching between sources. One can also adjust the action of the rotary encoder used to drive the electronic volume levels as well as set a maximum volume setting.

The innards are not cramped and the dual-mono layout is also quite clear:

200812_classe_cp700_i.jpg

The optional phono stage is implemented by replacing the two (left & right) input boards with a new one that incorporates a loop out for Single-Ended1 plus a pair of daughter-boards that fit on stand-offs with a link cable to input boards. These daughter-boards contain the DIP switches for adjusting cartridge loading...

CP500PhonoStage.jpg

The CP-500 has been discontinued but Classe still offer service in the form of spare parts and fixes, so - given its age - you may find one or two going on eBay or similar classified sites

How does it sound? Like its not really there... Noise floor is very low and there is no audible colouration that I've been able to detect.

The rest...

MainSystem-2.jpg

I have an Accuphase C2400 pre-amp
The preamp I had before was a Classe
I still have the Classe 5 channel amp though
Good gear is Classe - B&W sell it in the UK

I am about to let my Teddy Pardo PR1 go if that's of any interest?

Haven't personally compared it directly to a 52 but general opinion suggests it's a solid step up. Personally I find the Teddy sound more refined than Naim, with less grain, broader dynamic range and better control (without losing any of the PRAT). Overall its just more coherent and less fatiguing to listen to.

I am about to let my Teddy Pardo PR1 go if that's of any interest?

Haven't personally compared it directly to a 52 but general opinion suggests it's a solid step up. Personally I find the Teddy sound more refined than Naim, with less grain, broader dynamic range and better control (without losing any of the PRAT). Overall its just more coherent and less fatiguing to listen to.

I agree.
Had the 52/52PS for some time, loved it.
Swapped a 52 for a pr1, a definite step up in my opinion.

Hi All, sorry for the slow reply

So my system is as follows CDS2/NAC52/Supercap/135 with all standard cabling Naca5 , Lavender .

I really like the sound but would like to have a more "meaty" presentation and better soundstaging/imaging. The speaker is SBL but with non stock xover.

So i am building a 2nd system and looking for a pre outside naim range that you know sounds better than an NAC52. Source would be CDS2.

I welcome all suggestions.

Many thanks

David

Have Dynavector been mentioned yet? I have no direct experience but they seem to get mentioned in the context of naim systems, and there's both L200 and L300 pres for sale in the classifieds here at the moment (no connection).

So my system is as follows CDS2/NAC52/Supercap/135 with all standard cabling Naca5 , Lavender .

I really like the sound but would like to have a more "meaty" presentation and better soundstaging/imaging. The speaker is SBL but with non stock xover.

So i am building a 2nd system and looking for a pre outside naim range that you know sounds better than an NAC52. Source would be CDS2.

Many thanks

David

Still a bit baffling. What is the second system going to comprise, apart from (presumably) your main system CDS2. I guess you're hoping to mix 'n' match with 52 for comparative purposes.

SBLs are not 'imaging' speakers (back to wall speakers seldom are); come to that, this is not one of Naim's strengths anyway. You have a typical full-blooded Naim system, and i.m.o., if you want an entirely different presentation you'll need to replace all; you may be lucky in finding a pre. which actually builds upon the 52 within your system, but rather you than me.

I use a 552 as pre. to my otherwise non-naim power and speakers (2x E.A.R. valved mono's plus big Quads). It just so happens that the E.A.R.s replaced my 135s with ease, so it ll works well. Having said that, I still want to try a top (E.A.R.?) pre. in place of the 552 in early course to see what that brings to the table.

I think your search for alternative pre. suggestions may be a little simplistic to achieve what you have in mind.

I swapped a 52/SC/135s for a Teddy Pardo integrated. Three less boxes and a more detailed and natural presentation. The only thing in favour of a 52 would be the onboard phono stage if present. I use Whaleblue's (of PFM fame) lemma Agena and it is all very very good. TP said that the integrated was just as good as the separates but I wish I went separates for future flexibility, i.e. ATC actives.

Solid state..chapter audio. Try go valve amp with music first volume control if can though would be my suggestion.

Many thanks

David

Approximate, order of magnitude sort of budget?

advertisement

Back