advertisement

System Pics 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gromit:

Did you try changing the setting in your Mac preferences? Connect the USB cable to your Mac first and manually select the USB connection to the Teac for 'output' (I think).

I had the same issue after upgrading to El Capitan and my Teac 301 USB Dac did not recognize my computer. I think it the upgrade resets the output to the computer's internal speakers. All it took was to do the setting under 'Preferences'.

Hi - yes, everything's set as it should be with my MacBook 'seeing' the Teac in the output menus. Problem is that I get about 15 secs of music, then it begins to stutter. Reading around, it seems to be a common issue with certain dacs with El Capitan. Wished I hadn't bothered 'upgrading' now. :(

Oh dear I know it's disheartening. Like when my 301 refused to work initially after El Capitan.

Guess it's too late but the UD301 does work with the new OSX. :rolleyes:

Oh dear I know it's disheartening. Like when my 301 refused to work initially after El Capitan.

Guess it's too late but the UD301 does work with the new OSX. :rolleyes:

Indeed - although if I can get a Teac dac (of some description) which will work then I'm happy to give it a try. I've had the H01 for nigh on 4 years now and felt no reason at all to move it on - it's seen off a couple of other dacs from its price range, plus another one 8 times its price.

Of course I could re-install an older OS X but the thought of doing so scares me, to put it mildly (I'm not especially computer-literate!). :D

Good to see so many olive boxes. I assume from some of the set ups that Naim speakers are happy with their backs against the wall?

Small change for me. Ittok and record shelf:

39fb0962-85b9-4c8f-8fad-100de8f7e631_zpscqk8diup.jpg

Nice. Speaker placement is a tad odd, mind.

Indeed! The acoustic treatment on the speakers is also questionable!
The thing that always makes me scratch my head about Naim systems is why you need a shedload of boxes cluttering up your room. I'm sure it sounds great, but what an eyesore!

Entirely consistent with my experience. I tried the H01 in my very revealing big system (other sources:- Basis Debut/ARO, Naim CDS3) and it did not embarrass itself. Granted, it did not have the resolution and was in no way close to the vinyl or CD source but it was very enjoyable nevertheless. I just went with the 301 for the higher built quality for a bit more money but frankly there was very minimal difference between the two when streaming thru' the USB (I have no use for hi rez files). I tried both side-by-side.

I did consider going back to an older OSX but I'm afraid that may create other more critical issues.

Anyway you have a very nice set up!

Indeed - although if I can get a Teac dac (of some description) which will work then I'm happy to give it a try. I've had the H01 for nigh on 4 years now and felt no reason at all to move it on - it's seen off a couple of other dacs from its price range, plus another one 8 times its price.

Of course I could re-install an older OS X but the thought of doing so scares me, to put it mildly (I'm not especially computer-literate!). :D

Indeed! The acoustic treatment on the speakers is also questionable!
The thing that always makes me scratch my head about Naim systems is why you need a shedload of boxes cluttering up your room. I'm sure it sounds great, but what an eyesore!

Personally, I find four boxes plenty for a phono stage.

IMG_1842_zpsi3hebpyx.jpg

Not much change really other than a few more wrinkles.

Continue to surprise and delight in equal measure.

I did consider going back to an older OSX but I'm afraid that may create other more critical issues.

Anyway you have a very nice set up!

Thanks Hock - it's a fairly humble little rig but is satisfying to listen to. I've been extremely - and very pleasantly - surprised at how good the Cyrus amp is. I agree their products have long been the subject of ridicule on the forums but in this instance (and in my system) it sounds very fine indeed.

As to the OS X issue, last night I downloaded the latest update (10.11.3) and we now have USB audio via the H01. :)

I seem to spend a lot of time looking at everyone’s marvellous systems so its probably about time I shared my not so marvellous lounge system :D

It does what it was intended to do which is to be discrete and improve on a Squeeze box Boom.

So Q Acoustics 2010i fed from a raspberry pi.
Pi is rPI2 with HiFiBerry Amp+ on the back and 7" touch screen on the front.
Raspberry runs picorePlayer with jivelite.

Tony

room_zps2yfod6fe.jpg

player_zpsr17ewnm1.jpg

back_zpstli5ahte.jpg

Great little system Tony. What make is the 7" tablet?

Thanks Stuart, although its a neat little system and sounds quite good for £200 all in, it in no way competes with the main system.

Non audiophile visitors mostly comment on how good it sounds, in which case we don't spoil it by showing them the main rig :D

Its not a "tablet" its a 7" touch screen for a raspberry pi, on the back of the screen is the raspberry pi and class D amplifier.

Initially ran the system headless without the screen when the whole pile of electronics would fit in a trouser pocket. The screen was a latter addition and mimics a SBT except "this SBT" has a 25W class D amplifier on the back. The screen is £48 so the system is now a £250 system.

Tony

The screen was a latter addition and mimics a SBT except "this SBT" has a 25W class D amplifier on the back.

So ... any touch screen can mimic an SBT merely by using picoreplayer? Or is some other emulation software needed?

I take it the screen works from a USB port (and/or video port) on the Pi?

I like the look of this, I really do. Plug a larger screen in, and it's the equivalent of a Meridian Sooloos without the expense.

Can you still operate in headless mode with the screen connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back