advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
following the activities related to new MDAC2 development I decided selling my beloved CDQ8200 (V12) 6 months ago. Instead I purchased used MDAC, which I found superior in terms of SQ (USB played through XLR to my active speakers; though no major difference in SQ of headphone outputs I used a lot with high quality cans), I wanted to participate on MDAC2 development program with. As time has passed, development turned in to full width FDAC, which seems even more interesting option as CD drive is of option. I fancy FDAC L2 variant with CD drive (but mostly I will play it through USB of my dedicated Lenovo notebook) and with front fully balanced 4pin XLR headphones input + DETOX unit. But before signing and paying support of the development and pilot production I would like to know:
1, what is a rough estimation of delivery date for DETOX?
2, as MDAC owner, what is an expected price (at a current stage) for FDAC L2 (400 GPB development fee + 50 GBP CD slot + (? FWC chassis) + ? PCB + VAT + shipping)?
Thanks.
Best,
Martin (Bratislava)

Coll,

Yes we would warmly your welcome to join our FDAC Project - but please understand production is scheduled for May / June - with all units delivered by July.

The FDAC L3 has Analogue inputs & plenty of Digital IO.

Initial payment is GBP400.

John thank you.
I have a pay pal account who do I tell them to pay.
Email address / Name etc.

There is a Paypal link at the bottem of http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Use "Combined 1st - 4th Development Installments" for the FDAC. There is also a Detox payment option if you want one.

Thanks for all your help fusion5. I will do that but still not sure if I need a Detox as I dont understand what it does and what it is for.
I am going to use the FDAC L3 to play CDs and plug in aan analogue output tuner, blu ray disc sound co ax and TV set top box Optical.
I will connect to my power amp using XLR leads as I do with my present 8200CDQ.
I am quite old and only really listen to CDs although I may possibly xconnect to the internet one day if that possible with the FDAC.
Do you know what the height of the FDAC is likely to be and if the CD compartment is integral or separate.

I am considering upgrading M-DAC PSU, what kind of improvement one can expect in sound quality?

I found reasonably priced PSU http://www.tomanek.dbv.pl/viewpage.php?page_id=79, is it a good one?

Also, which component (DAC or AMP) is more influenced by the quality of PSU?

A while back we considered offering a HQ PSU for the MDAC - but I found that the external PSU offered little benefit for the cost involved the money could be better spent somewhere else.

If you use USB then a USB isolator is a good place to start.

I ***MAY*** need to withdraw from the project due to imminent redundancy, is it possible for my position to be allocated to someone else and for my funds to be transferred to them , with them paying me instead of John?

John,
following the activities related to new MDAC2 development I decided selling my beloved CDQ8200 (V12) 6 months ago. Instead I purchased used MDAC, which I found superior in terms of SQ (USB played through XLR to my active speakers; though no major difference in SQ of headphone outputs I used a lot with high quality cans), I wanted to participate on MDAC2 development program with. As time has passed, development turned in to full width FDAC, which seems even more interesting option as CD drive is of option. I fancy FDAC L2 variant with CD drive (but mostly I will play it through USB of my dedicated Lenovo notebook) and with front fully balanced 4pin XLR headphones input + DETOX unit. But before signing and paying support of the development and pilot production I would like to know:

1, what is a rough estimation of delivery date for DETOX?

Production will start after CNY (Chinese New year) CNY is from around 31 Jan to 22th February - so I would hope production will start early March.

As MDAC owner, what is an expected price (at a current stage) for FDAC L2 (400 GPB development fee + 50 GBP CD slot + (? FWC chassis) + ? PCB + VAT + shipping)?

In the next few days I'll update the FDAC info and clarify the pricing - I'm still working on the Digital IO arrangement.

I ***MAY*** need to withdraw from the project due to imminent redundancy, is it possible for my position to be allocated to someone else and for my funds to be transferred to them , with them paying me instead of John?

Sorry to hear that - we can add you to a transferee list we are slowly working though since the change to FDAC FWC, as new FDAC members join we transfer the funds to those on the list.

ATM we are not really promoting new FDAC members until I have time to update the webpage with the latest features / specification etc.

Thanks for all your help fusion5. I will do that but still not sure if I need a Detox as I dont understand what it does and what it is for.
I am going to use the FDAC L3 to play CDs and plug in aan analogue output tuner, blu ray disc sound co ax and TV set top box Optical.
I am quite old and only really listen to CDs although I may possibly xconnect to the internet one day if that possible with the FDAC.
Do you know what the height of the FDAC is likely to be and if the CD compartment is integral or separate.

The optional cd drive is internal. Have a look at the latest renderings: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2719603#post2719603

According to John the FWC is 430mm wide, 70mm High and 300mm to 320mm Deep.

The Detox is only for connection via the USB input, normally from a computer. You don't appear to have any use for this input at the moment, so I don't think you need one. Even if later you change your mind, and the Detox is no longer available, there are other devices which do a similar job (though those of us who have a Detox on order hope those others will not be so good!).

The CD is integral- there are pictures in several of the posts from John. You will have to specify it when you order, and then you, and I, are very likely to have one of the best CD players in existence...

Sorry to hear that - we can add you to a transferee list we are slowly working though since the change to FDAC FWC, as new FDAC members join we transfer the funds to those on the list.

ATM we are not really promoting new FDAC members until I have time to update the webpage with the latest features / specification etc.

No problem John. Thanks.

A while back we considered offering a HQ PSU for the MDAC - but I found that the external PSU offered little benefit for the cost involved the money could be better spent somewhere else.

If you use USB then a USB isolator is a good place to start.

dns_di:
John is probably talking about a ground isolator. In addition, since the MDAC does not take 5v USB power, putting a 5v isolator from S-Booster (about €14) immediately after the computer will probably improve the sound. It did for me, even though my Mac Mini is running off a very good LPS. (But the 5v line runs from an internal SMPS, so cutting out that line should make some difference.)

Before you spend much money on an LPS for the MDAC, you should look at the remarks from timola, which are generally in agreement with John's comment. Some of us are playing with a very much cheaper LPS, which may be a bit better than the standard AC supply, but there are not many reports yet.

Are those two SMA connectors used as clock in & clock out?

Yes SMA - but balanced (so a pair of SMA leads required) the DAC will select input or output clock mode.

A single slave unit can be directly connected or a Clock expansion pod (in a Detox style box) will be required for more then one Slave unit.

Its a little complicated - but the Clock cannot "daisy chained" without each unit adding Clock Jitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back