advertisement

What's going to be your first purchase of 2016?

I figger if I blow my wad on a good preamp with MC-ready phono, like maybe an ARC SP14, I could use my old Hafler 220 amp until next year when hopefully I'll be able to get an amp of similar quality to the preamp. Until then, it'd still be a huge step up from a NAC42.5/Hicap/NAP160.

I'm open to other ideas for a preamp. My requirements are phono and at least two line inputs, and would prefer one with a balance control and a mono switch.

Linn Kan mk2 stands for my Royd Sapphires which will soon be with me, & then a half decent TT, Linn Axis maybe.

Nearly forgot i have a Teac UD-H0I on the way, Richer sounds selling them off for £99 :)

Use the Something Solid SL24 stands instead. :)

Use the Something Solid SL24 stands instead. :)

^This^

Years ago, I used to have Kan 2 stands under my Merlins (same box as Sapphires) and the SL24's were a very decent improvement. Makes the Royds shout less, but boogie just the same if not more. Excellent stands, and with only 3 'legs' are a piece of cake to level/stabilise too. :)

Part of me is tempted to rebuild my passive crossovers again, this time with the next level up in terms of components (Jantzen wax coils and a mixture of Mundorf silver gold and ClarityCap MR). I would only need to do the mid and treble as the bass is now active. Even then it would cost well over £500 in component parts alone........ I'm only half tempted because they are already significantly posher than the majority of high-end speaker crossovers..... But part of me is still tempted in a completist sense.

I also really quite fancy a Koetsu Urishi Blue or black.....

Alternatively, I don't really need anything.

Oh, but thinking about it, what I really need to do is finish building my new turntable and build the blooming arm I've been working on for the last few years!

Probably a Dac that does native DSD just to see what it's all about, plus I have around 1tb of DSD music files

May I ask where you acquired such a collection? I've seen some online but not sure it was 1TB worth although I appreciate the file size is big.

^This^

Years ago, I used to have Kan 2 stands under my Merlins (same box as Sapphires) and the SL24's were a very decent improvement. Makes the Royds shout less, but boogie just the same if not more. Excellent stands, and with only 3 'legs' are a piece of cake to level/stabilise too. :)

I would love a pair but funds are tight, they seem impossible to find 2nd hand & the nearest dealer is nearly two hours away.
Finally found Kan stands at a bargain of a price so will see.

Now looking at the SL24's again gggggggggggrrrrrrr :)

Already purchased two B&O IcePower Class D Amps: 300W OEM boards for a nice little monoblock DIY project. Tuck 'em under the speakers and forget about. I decided to back out of the HiFi and spend more time on horses and pony play and playing bass. It ought not be a spectacularly difficult project. Fingers crossed.

As soon as I can I will have my Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs upgraded to Series 2 status, can't wait, they are fantastic IMHO.

Next I want another level to my ReVo stand, I want to get down to one stand and speakers .

cheers Al

It'll depend on what shows up for auction. There aren't any new toys calling out to me (except Lego). What I really like to add is a Pioneer D-23 and another M-22 to complete an active Series 20 vintage system from the late 1970s.

I've already purchased another HiLine and another TeddyXPS for the NDX (both on here, thanks PFM) and a set of TPR4 regulators for the 52PS (thanks to Les for the advice, and for making 6x TPR4s a more palatable purchase)!

But I'm funding this with a move from bi-amping - see my ad in the classifieds - so I reckon I've still got an upgrade to cash in over the course of the year? Or maybe just enjoy lots of music.

Dom.

No boxes (unless the man from the Lottery comes knocking on my door) but will get round to having my amp serviced.
That and plenty of music.

Probably something like a Cambridge Audio Minx i for a vinyl/cinema/TV/Internet Radio system in the studio.

I'm considering the sale of my Densen amps. If I get a reasonable price for the B-250 and pair of B-350s, I might get something shiny like a new phono amp.

advertisement

Back