advertisement

NHS Code Black

We disagree. I'm not saying anything I wouldn't say to anyone's face and I'd be happy to back up what I said. I stand accused of branding one member a civil servant. I can live with that.

No. You stand accused of making one civil servant personally responsible for untold deaths and sundry inefficiencies of the NHS.

Oh for heaven's sake :)

I simply said "people like Tim" - go back and read the "offending post" for clarity.

I'm a cyclist. If someone referred to cyclists as "people like Merlin" would anyone have an issue with that? I certainly wouldn't. I would defend my position if I felt there was a case to do so but the poster would be right. He or she would be referring to a group of people through a character familiar to those involved in the conversation.

I will "insult" Tim personally for running at the first sign of his profession being criticized for failing to perform. That's symptomatic of much that is wrong with the system. Fresh minds are needed and a fresh approach.

Huh? Your inversions here are becoming so complicated that I think you're disappearing up your own fundament. You don't come across as a fan of efficiency and then insinuate that I should be fired because I haven't done it properly (there are a few other people involved in this btw...). And there was a bit more to your post than that - accusing me of 'political arse covering', even though as others agree, this isn't really about politics.

For the time being, despite my better instincts, I haven't 'run' as you put it. And, back on topic (slightly) - any chance of answer to the question I (among others) have posed...several times? In other words, why not give me and my colleagues a taste of what you think that fresh approach should be, please.

For my own clarity of mind Tim, if a consultant writes a discharge letter stating that they have not been able to demonstrate a condition and therefore that it's time for the patient and his GP to move onto strategies for coping with symptoms, would that be efficiency - as in patient discharged (tick) and course of action recommended (tick)?

We could call this tick box health care - criteria satisfied in short period of time to fill the objective markers. This would represent efficiency for his (or her) department. A fast moving conveyor belt if you like. Does their efficiency "measurement" end at this point? Does the discharge represent an outcome of sorts as far as your boards are concerned?

What then happens then if, say six months down the line, said patient ends up in a coma in ITU because he DID have the condition indicated but the consultant did not have funding or facilities to carry out the correct testing, nor the time to investigate beyond ticking those boxes? If the consultant's primary concern was efficiency and treating patient numbers?

I would imagine not only is the cost considerably higher for the taxpayer but the impact of the patient's life is unnecessarily severe.

On more than one occasion I've heard the words "these tests are very expensive", "we simply don't have the equipment", "we have to buy through charitable sources as the NHS does not provide them - they are expensive". It's a shame that these considerations are at the forefront of consultants' thinking and the resultant outcomes are often hugely more costly to the taxpayer than they need be. Is this typical of "efficiency" Tim?

So there's the question from some days ago Tim - the place where you measure efficiency. How about you answer that first and then we can start to look at weaknesses from a position of knowledge?

Markus, if that's what I'm accused of then there is a serious problem with interpretation of the written word here. I've tried to explain what "people like" means in my language but if that's not clear to all then there is little more I can do. Just to be absolutely clear, of course I'm not blaming Tim alone for the failures of the system and the resultant tragedies.

I am however saying that those involved with the running of the NHS over the past 30 years have failed miserably and it's time for them to be held to account. All of them - even those that own nice hifi systems and listen to early Bowie.

So there's the question from some days ago Tim - the place where you measure efficiency. How about you answer that first and then we can start to look at weaknesses from a position of knowledge?

Markus, if that's what I'm accused of then there is a serious problem with interpretation of the written word here. I've tried to explain what "people like" means in my language but if that's not clear to all then there is little more I can do. Just to be absolutely clear, of course I'm not blaming Tim alone for the failures of the system and the resultant tragedies.

I am however saying that those involved with the running of the NHS over the past 30 years have failed miserably and it's time for them to be held to account. All of them - even those that own nice hifi systems and listen to early Bowie.

Despite the fact that I initially replied to you in a what I hoped was a sympathetic and explanatory way, and subsequently tried to describe what we were trying to do, you are basically saying that I (and the many people who are trying to do some fresh thinking, again as I set out above) should be sacked.

I did answer your points about efficiency. You didn't like the answer, but you got one. If demand is rising faster than resources, we have to see what we can do to manage demand better, and the current answer on the table involves creating integrated budgets and care models. To illustrate this, in most western health economies, some 5% of patients drive c.50% of costs (and around 1% of patients drive some 20% of costs). In the NHS we are not managing these patients well because we have a process that is still basically designed to incentivise acute admissions. This is all pretty evidence based.

Your 'position of knowledge', however, seems to involve waiting until you get an answer that you like. One might not be on the table I'm afraid, unless you would like to specify (quite reasonably) that we simply need to tax and spend more. You're then left with the issue I've raised more than once - how, given that medical costs are likely to go on rising faster than growth, do you stop health spend simply taking a larger and larger chunk of GDP?

Above and beyond a distinct sense that this is really now just a thread about your own verbal gymnastics, I'm clearly not going to get any answer at all to this important set of questions, so, ok, I'll give up.

That may be Tim's main problem but it aint the NHS's. Yes we need to spend more money but we also need to spend it better. We just used up 2 hospital appointments and wasted 3 months waiting for something that could have easily been done by the GP - if only he wasn't working on 10min appointments and targeted with gate-keeping the system.

Absolutely spot-on. This is why 'NHS efficiency' is about a lot more than budgets, and is precisely why the system is looking long and hard at alternative ways of doing things.

Just quote your answer to the question I posted Tim if you would - you really don't need to give me the rest of that at this point thanks.

Effectively that is at the root of the debate. How do you define "efficiency"?

I am waiting with bated breath on your solution to the problem you seem to understand so well...bullying Tim won't get you off the hook.

I'm not bullying anyone. If people really think that then there's a lot of over sensitive souls here.

Let's try another analogy.

If you take over a football club that's fifth in the First Division and, after having ten years in charge ,the club is facing relegation from the Third Division and on the verge of going into administration, would you expect people to come to you for advice on how to take the club forward? Honestly?

Do you ever answer a question other than by asking a question?

From the above are we to infer that you have no idea how to improve the NHS?

The NHS is fvcked.
There are too few doctors & too few nurses to be able to provide a comprehensive service.
Coupled with the lack of resources that makes it unsustainable.
That is the problem with a publically funded service perceived as free; it is abused to the point of bankrupcy.
Yes we could pour more money into it by increasing taxation (not that the current lot would) but that still leaves a shortage of medical staff which in my view is the main reason why we need to ration care or at least make the end user feel some responsibility when using it by charging.
Free at the point of access is unsustainable when demand is rising exponentially.

So keep asking Tim questions but he has no solution.
If there was a solution it would have been done by now.

I am however saying that those involved with the running of the NHS over the past 30 years have failed miserably and it's time for them to be held to account.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you for the following reasons:

1) The people implementing the change and the budgets are just doing what the politicians tell them to do with the money the politicians give them. They are doing their best under difficult circumstances and trying to keep their jobs.

2) Even if they have failed miserably it hasn't been through negligence or lack of effort or possibly even lack of ability (to use your football analogy if the manager makes Messi play in goal rather than midfield then the team is probably going to under-perform). Therefore 'holding them to account' is pointless. Sort out the strategy and get the team playing to the best of its ability.

So keep asking Tim questions but he has no solution.
If there was a solution it would have been done by now.

There may not be a solution but there are almost certainly better approaches. And surely we shouldn't give up on finding a better approach? God help us if we end up with the US system; even with the NHS's problems at least we are not taking money from ill people to buy doctors collections of classic cars, or money from people with imperfect smiles to pay dentists to shoot lions (with arrows) for fun.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you for the following reasons:

1) The people implementing the change and the budgets are just doing what the politicians tell them to do with the money the politicians give them. They are doing their best under difficult circumstances and trying to keep their jobs.

2) Even if they have failed miserably it hasn't been through negligence or lack of effort or possibly even lack of ability (to use your football analogy if the manager makes Messi play in goal rather than midfield then the team is probably going to under-perform). Therefore 'holding them to account' is pointless. Sort out the strategy and get the team playing to the best of its ability.
I believe Tim said somewhere the problems aren't political. Lurching from strategy to strategy that don't work implies it is political.

Re Bed Blockers - one of the emotive topics of the day.

It is possible to get a Premier Inn hotel room for between £50 to £120 per night according to the locale.

So why do not the hospitals take a block booking of a floor of rooms and move the patients that only need rations and a bed that the local authority cannot immediately look after into these rooms.

Station a nurse at the hotel for overnight duties and have district nurses (or whatever they are called now to look in during the day.

Only move people that are expected to move into community / family care in the following week or so.

Re Bed Blockers - one of the emotive topics of the day.

It is possible to get a Premier Inn hotel room for between £50 to £120 per night according to the locale.

So why do not the hospitals take a block booking of a floor of rooms and move the patients that only need rations and a bed that the local authority cannot immediately look after into these rooms.

Station a nurse at the hotel for overnight duties and have district nurses (or whatever they are called now to look in during the day.

Only move people that are expected to move into community / family care in the following week or so.

You are not a million miles away from what will very soon be happening, except it will be on the public/private fringes of the NHS.

Russel

If the cleaners did not do the job adequately, then the authority will not pay the bills. Every complaint is logged and recorded and fines imposed. The authorities are incentivised to make complaints and that ensures that the work is carried out correctly.

Also there were as many complaints about cleanliness in the old days before outsourcing as what there are now.

Except the people responsible for overall supervision are like yourself, free market fundamentalists who are reluctant to believe a problem with it when one crops up.

Except the people responsible for overall supervision are like yourself, free market fundamentalists who are reluctant to believe a problem with it when one crops up.

Russel

People like me are rarely involved in the day to day running of the contract.

In the case of cleaning, there would be a representative of the cleaning company and one for the hospital running the contract. If something goes wrong then it is usually resolved by a phone call etc.

The reality is that the same people carry on with the cleaning and are TUPE protected so most of them have done it for years and percentage wise, the level of complaints are low.

However if there is a complaint that cannot be resolved by the two reps, then the hospital rep holds the trump card and will instigate a failure. If the failure is not resolved, the cleaning company gets a fine and a red tick in the file which is noted at contract renewal time.

The simple reality is that the hospital still controls the service and the only people who object to it are the ill informed.

If someone like you were to let the contract run its time, the same people would do the cleaning, the service levels would remain the same but the cost would slowly slide up due to the hieratical management structure of the NHS.

Even the NHS concedes this point.

Regards

Mick

Sort out the strategy and get the team playing to the best of its ability.

Or get in a new team. A breath of fresh air. My personal opinion is that wholesale sackings are in order given the time these people have had to make a positive contribution.

It's clear there are many who disagree with me. That's fine. We all have our opinions. I hope no one on the forum ends up on the wrong end of NHS mismanagement.

How anyone involved can allow the GP situation to become so precarious and ineffective is a mystery to me. We still have no answer to any of the questions posed, only criticism and abuse for having the temerity to suggest accountability. That in itself (based on experience in business) suggests a cultural problem that needs to be eradicated before real progress can be made.

advertisement

Back