advertisement

Donald Trump - non American missing the point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah! I like Trump.

He's not totally unrepresentative of the septics I've met on my travels over the years and he speaks his mind.

If his thoughts are so utterly repulsive (which to me as an Englishman they are) then he won't get the nomination, will fall down the polls, and someone really deceitful like Cruz will get in ahead of him. If he get's the nomination, then a far larger percentage of the American public are racists than they would like to admit. Everyone's a winner :)

Trump speaks to a certain demographic, much the same as the Front National in France, Geert Wilders in the Netherlands and Pegida and AfD in Germany. This demographic is mostly made up of people whose defining characteristic is anger - anger about the world in general which is far too complex, bewildering and unruly for their liking. They are looking for someone who tells them that simple, straightforward solutions exist, that strong leadership is possible and that the world can be made to conform to their views.

I'm beginning to understand the 1933 election results in Germany. Not that I think Trump (or Le Pen, or Wilders, or Petry) is in any way comparable to Hitler, but the strong wish for a world that works as the Trump followers would like it to work is not going to go away. As it seems to be an emotional need, no amount of reasoned arguing, facts or whatever is going to make it go away. If democracy is supposed to work, it needs to find a way to give these people a voice without giving them their (misguided) will.

There is a petition here with over 400,000 signatures looking to block Trump from UK entry due to hate speech!

PS I don't support it, I'm all for letting him in and heckling the crap out of the moron, but it is the other side of say the Anjam Choudary thing. A very similar kind of idiocy, scapegoating and fear-mongering can be found on both extremes.

Unfortunately for the UK, A. Choudry is already there and will always have the protection of the lefty luvvies and the European Court of uman rites.. I also agree to let Trump in, he is far less odious or dangerous to all than the nut job Islamic Hardliners the UK educational institutions seem to embrace in the cause of 'free speech'..

Trump speaks to a certain demographic, much the same as the Front National in France, Geert Wilders in the Netherlands and Pegida and AfD in Germany. This demographic is mostly made up of people whose defining characteristic is anger - anger about the world in general which is far too complex, bewildering and unruly for their liking. They are looking for someone who tells them that simple, straightforward solutions exist, that strong leadership is possible and that the world can be made to conform to their views.
Isn't that the USA? Bewildered by the world's reluctance to accept their political and business model?

ruled by a form of sharia law which is recognized by the authorities and British law.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one instance of this sort of thing - ironically Orthodox Jews. They can elect to have a case heard before the Court of the Chief Rabbi instead of the usual courts (I know a lawyer who used to do occasional work at the rabbinical court). This is subject to two requirements; (a) the matters heard are restricted to certain civil matters, and (b) any verdicts shall not be in contradiction to those that would be reached in a UK civil court.

I also agree to let Trump in, he is far less odious or dangerous to all than the nut job Islamic Hardliners the UK educational institutions seem to embrace in the cause of 'free speech'..

He has probably managed to radicalise more people this week than all the guys at Hyde Park Corner have ever done. Trump has made many ordinary people angry

Regarding of what he said about parts of London being radicalized and police fearful to enter , what's your personal experience ?
Obviously all big cities have dangerous, crime ridden districts but I think he meant specifically dangerous Islamic parts of town.
My friends who live in UK say that once government settles a couple of immigrant families in the particular street or block the real estate value plunges ,British tenants move out and more immigrants move in taking over the street . This way some areas are totally dominated by closed in Muslim communities ruled by a form of sharia law which is recognized by the authorities and British
law. So yes , submission of women and polygamy as an accepted form of marriage.

Your statement about sharia law is utter drivel.
No doubt there are communities that try to use their own laws but they are always trumped by UK law.

See what I did there?

Regarding of what he said about parts of London being radicalized and police fearful to enter , what's your personal experience ?
Obviously all big cities have dangerous, crime ridden districts but I think he meant specifically dangerous Islamic parts of town.
My friends who live in UK say that once government settles a couple of immigrant families in the particular street or block the real estate value plunges ,British tenants move out and more immigrants move in taking over the street . This way some areas are totally dominated by closed in Muslim communities ruled by a form of sharia law which is recognized by the authorities and British
law. So yes , submission of women and polygamy as an accepted form of marriage.
You seem to be off-piste with your imagination and the anecdotes of your "friends".

I'm beginning to understand the 1933 election results in Germany. Not that I think Trump (or Le Pen, or Wilders, or Petry) is in any way comparable to Hitler, but the strong wish for a world that works as the Trump followers would like it to work is not going to go away. As it seems to be an emotional need, no amount of reasoned arguing, facts or whatever is going to make it go away. If democracy is supposed to work, it needs to find a way to give these people a voice without giving them their (misguided) will.

Although in 1933 and now it's also linked to a sustained economic downturn and falling living standards.

If borderline fascist demagoguery is not enough to put everyone off Trump then surely this will push the last few people over the edge.

Twitter said:
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump Thank you to respected columnist Katie Hopkins of Daily Mail.com for her powerful writing on the U.K.'s Muslim problems.

Brian Beutler makes a good point Trump in asking why anyone is surprised given what has been happening to the GOP in recent years.

Trump’s plan to prohibit Muslim immigration into the U.S. is indeed extreme, but to students of the Trump phenomenon and conservative politics more broadly, it was neither unexpected nor the source of any new or profound lesson.

While closing the country to foreign Muslims altogether is a radical idea relative to our founding ideals and current policy, it is but an incremental step relative to the outer bounds of legitimate debate in the GOP primary. Republican presidential candidates have supported discriminating against Muslims in our refugee policy, and opposed the very notion of a Muslim-American president, all without subjecting themselves to universal condemnation. The most surprising part of the latest Trump story is that it proves a Republican candidate can take Islamophobia too far for his party’s tastes.

https://newrepublic.com/article/125353/trump-proves-liberals-right-along

>>>The 40-page report, "A Parallel World: Confronting the Abuse of Many Muslim Women in Britain Today," was authored by Baroness Caroline Cox, a cross-bench member of the British House of Lords and one of the leading defenders of women's rights in the UK.

The report shows how the increasing influence of Sharia law in Britain today is undermining the fundamental principle that there must be equality for all British citizens under a single law of the land.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5512/sharia-courts-muslim-women

First link in the google , people don't be lazy..
I lived in the small village under communist regime . Happiest memories of my life (childhood ) , I don't recall a single act of oppression and cruelty .
I lived in Detroit and know what communities on the move look like. I dig get advice from friendly Detroit policeman -"do not stop on the red light" in the night in downtown and certain areas. When I admited to my black friend that as a fresh, curious, ignorant immigrant I walked trough certain areas to get a better feeling what ghetto is he said that the reason I was unharmed was they thought that I was an undercover cop. Nobody in his right mind do it there. Was it all that bad , of course not , I love Detroit and always will , NOTOWN will always be my home town. I lived in Chicago where gangs are shooting on the streets every day. It could be as well in another country , I simply have no need to go to those areas of the town. So if you never have been in those parts of London in question and don't have first hand experience or know somebody who does what sense is to comment here?
How about this:

“There are Muslim areas of Preston that, if we wish to patrol, we have to contact local Muslim community leaders to get their permission,” a Lancashire Police officer told the Mail.

Another police office from the town of Yorkshire took it further in an online forum for police.

“I’m not allowed to travel in half blues [uniform] to work anymore IN MY OWN CAR as we’re ‘all at risk of attack’ – yet as soon as someone points out the obvious it’s ‘divisive,” he wrote.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/12...ps-not-wrong-282734?hvid=4GTWUL#ixzz3twIMZU4Y

We might as well pack and go home.
A yank knows more about the UK than us who live here.

Or so he thinks from the crap he quotes.

>>>The 40-page report, "A Parallel World: Confronting the Abuse of Many Muslim Women in Britain Today," was authored by Baroness Caroline Cox, a cross-bench member of the British House of Lords and one of the leading defenders of women's rights in the UK.

The report shows how the increasing influence of Sharia law in Britain today is undermining the fundamental principle that there must be equality for all British citizens under a single law of the land.

The Institute for Policy Studies,[20] The Nation,[8] the Council on American–Islamic Relations [21] and the Center for American Progress[citation needed] have categorized Nina Rosenwald and the Gatestone Institute as anti-Muslim.

It's right there in the wikipedia entry for Gatestone Institute. Don't be lazy.

(The wikipedia entry for Gatestone founder Nina Rosenwald is equally illuminating: "The Sugar Mama of Anti-Muslim Hate".)

Crap for Crap Boob. Anyway , how the academia and business friends can possibly know such things ? They also live in parallel reality of dreamland. This is the ONLY reason that clown Trump is so popular.

I lived in the small village under communist regime . Happiest memories of my life (childhood ) , I don't recall a single act of oppression and cruelty .
I lived in Detroit and know what communities on the move look like. I dig get advice from friendly Detroit policeman -"do not stop on the red light" in the night in downtown and certain areas. When I admited to my black friend that as a fresh, curious, ignorant immigrant I walked trough certain areas to get a better feeling what ghetto is he said that the reason I was unharmed was they thought that I was an undercover cop. Nobody in his right mind do it there. Was it all that bad , of course not , I love Detroit and always will , NOTOWN will always be my home town. I lived in Chicago where gangs are shooting on the streets every day. It could be as well in another country , I simply have no need to go to those areas of the town. So if you never have been in those parts of London in question and don't have first hand experience or know somebody who does what sense is to comment here?
How about this:

“There are Muslim areas of Preston that, if we wish to patrol, we have to contact local Muslim community leaders to get their permission,” a Lancashire Police officer told the Mail.

Another police office from the town of Yorkshire took it further in an online forum for police.

“I’m not allowed to travel in half blues [uniform] to work anymore IN MY OWN CAR as we’re ‘all at risk of attack’ – yet as soon as someone points out the obvious it’s ‘divisive,” he wrote.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/12...ps-not-wrong-282734?hvid=4GTWUL#ixzz3twIMZU4Y
you seem to be confused about Sharia "Courts" and what they are actually for and entitled to do.

I've discussed this stuff many times with people ignorant of reality in Britain - a common theme was they were also resident in the US.

And for the record, I get about. Young gangs of Muslim lads are no more and no less likely to cause problems than black, white, Somalian, Turk, etc. If your reasoning is that the Muslim lads are trying to enforce this on the basis of Sharia, you are ignorant.

By all means write about Detroit and Chicago. If you write about London based on what you've read in the Daily Mail, expect to be ridiculed.

Just to add - I would suggest you revisit your original post and your claim about how Muslim immigrants drive out the natives and then enforce Sharia Law - it's utter fvckwittery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back