advertisement

Split Enz...

Yes Im being slightly harsh but Im not the only one. I have it on vinyl (which makes me an audiophile :D) and its a reasonably good play made all the better with the cast iron hits.

This is one of several headline reviews mentioning filler

There are clearly highlights on the album but it doesnt qualify for an "all killer, no filler" award :)

I see it through rose coloured glasses. It was one of a handful of records that were played constantly during my Uni years, and, as I mentioned before, hit our house six months early due to a friend having brought it back as a taped copy from Aus.

The LP it had been taped from had a prominent scratch that sounded a couple of times - when I bought it (when it arrived on our shores) it took ages to get used to the scratch not being there. Still have my copy, of course.

Seeing as this thread has an antipodean angle, check out Men at Work singer Colin Hay in fine solo form here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy - excellent - one of my favourite MAW songs - and I didn't have any idea that Colin Hay was also a stand-up comedian!

A lot of the Finn brothers output is great stuff. Shame they couldn't really get on with each other, but then I guess thats hardly unique in the Pop world. The early Crowded House albums are very good pop & I remember seeing CH live a few times.

"couldn't really get on with each other"? eh'?! Neil joined the Enz as a youngster, following in his big brother's footsteps. They worked well together, with Neil shaping the later Enz sound from around 1980 (True Colours) writing and beginning to sing lead on a number of songs.

Tim joined Neil for a time in Crowded House.

They've collaborated on a couple of Finn Brothers albums.

Hardly a history of not getting on!

Neil Finn's solo albums are all worth a listen.

I saw Split Enz live a couple of times, they were truly excellent live. Split Enz Wellington Town Hall on the Time and Tide tour (1982?) still on my top ten live gigs ever list.

For those of you over the ditch on the 'west island', this talk of 'Waiata' may have you puzzled. It was released in Oz-trucken-falia as 'Corroborree'.

From time and tide...

and True Colours...

[YOUTUBE]vj-iLqOEd5Y[/YOUTUBE]

As for Men at Work, what's not to love about "Be Good Johnny"?! I also liked Men at Work's subsequent works. Here's a track from Cargo... it really gets going.

and then of course there was 'Mental as Anything', The Johnnys, The Hoodoo Gurus etc etc...

no discussion of NZ/Oz music of the time is complete without some early Midnight Oil, however...

[YOUTUBE]G3kXyF-K8GU?[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Take a Walk, one of my all time Split Enz faves.

For the fans that want to re-live the history of the band, Radio New Zealand put together Enzology.

"ENZOLOGY is Radio New Zealand National's documentary covering the history of New Zealand's most iconic band - Split Enz. Five years in the making, this ten-part series covers the history of the band from their beginnings in Auckland as an acoustic ensemble in 1972, to their final concerts as an Australia-based, internationally acclaimed pop band in 1984."

Yep...listening to it now. Makes me want to get a hold of the live tapes they used on it.

I saw Split Enz live a couple of times, they were truly excellent live. Split Enz Wellington Town Hall on the Time and Tide tour (1982?) still on my top ten live gigs ever list.

I saw them in the town hall on the True Colours tour a few years earlier. Down the front with a couple of school mates when someone let off a red distress flare in the middle of I See Red - brilliant.

Simon

Saw them at Preston Poly in 1978 I think...been a fan since Mental Notes.

advertisement

Back