advertisement

Onix oa21s selector problem

ron 1

pfm Member
I am having a bit of a problem with the input selector of the amp. I have got to play around with it to get it to function and it crackles a bit which is not ideal. I am located in west Wales and I am having difficulty in getting someone to carry out the repairs.
I have approached two electronic repair companies and I got the impression that they were not too keen on taking it on I assume the reason being that they know nothing about the Onix.
Anyway I am looking for a recommendation for someone who can repair the selector and get it back fully functioning.
Thank you

Is it the 21s with the ribbon selector inside? I think those are unobtainable now. Your best bet may be to contact Tony Brady (the designer) at exposure - he's very helpful and can probably advise on the best course of action.

It may however just be a sticky relay, and the 21s only has one of those for all the switching so that would be easy to replace. Crackling may suggest the relay as the selector itself is not in the signal path. Or it could be both the relay and switch on the way out.

If it's a 21 with the rotary switch then that's easy to replace, as are the 3 switching relays in that model.

Yes it is an oa21s. I recall the guy I bought it off saying something about a ribbon input selector which he had problems with which he had sorted out.
Whatever he did it seems the problem has come back.

Best bet is to contact Tony Brady and see what he suggests.

Edit : ah, I see I said the same thing on the thread linked to above and Tony's response is copied there. So a rotary switch wired into the pcb replacing the ribbon switch would be the way to go.

Thanks to all for their input to this problem on the Onix. I am looking for someone who can expedite the repairs needed on the input selector and get the amp back fully functioning. Ideally located in West Wales but failing that further afield.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to me to be bog standard Lorlin rotary switch.

Any competent repair person should be able to swap it out like for like I'd have thought.

If they're nervous about it it probably indicates lack of competence.

It is in the 21 but not the 21s, that has a ribbon selector that's something like 16 pins on the pcb, so a new rotary style switch would need fitting and wires soldered to the appropriate pcb holes

Hi to all again, I so wish I could do this repair myself it sounds easy but I,m sure its not, I would not attempt to open the case. Suffice to say I have to look elsewhere to cure the problem. Any help you can offer to point me in the direction of someone who can expedite the necessary work greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi Ron.

Sorry, just spotted that your in Wales!

If you want to send the amp to me I'll help out.
PM me.

Regards
Dave.

Hi Ron.

Just re-read your opening post and edited my post!
Let me know if you want me to help.

Dave.

Hi Wilky,
I am away for a few days and I will come back to you when I come back. Incidentally did you have my pm. Confirm if you did.
Thanks Ron

advertisement

Back