advertisement

Why don't they play decent music at hifi shows to really test their products.

Consider this from the other side. Some companies have international demonstrators, who are out almost every weekend from September to March every year. And they have to play Chris Jones' 'No Sanctuary Here' about once every 15 minutes of demonstration time because it's universally popular among audio show goers the world over.

That means four times an hour, eight hours a day, every Saturday and Sunday, for roughly half a year.

So, if you think YOU have a problem with audiophile music, try listening to the same track more than 1,500 times between now and next Spring. Whether you like it or not.

I don't give a damn. It's part of their job; deal with it.

What I gleam from general comments made here and I have seen myself, as well.....
(1) There are the people who love to go to shows , love 'getting their mental rocks off' (so to speak) giving demonstration staff 'stick'. That is asking them to play 'totally inappropriate material' on the type of sound systems being displayed by them.
Almost it becomes ...wanting to commit an act of 'musick graffiti'...and then expecting to walk away laughing about the sound schnozzle, caused.

(2) The lack of any proper organization of a set demonstration music program by manufacturers to show off their equipment in a balanced way. Too often, it is just the same old / same-old pop-pop, bang -bang quick attention 'noise' : to grab the interest of people more interested in having 'Hi Fi' - than actually to see it serve its proper purpose. That is , reproduce accurately what is fed into the equipment.
(3) Standing back and observing the comments of others present in some audition room......it is comedy -being produced fresh by the minute.
(A) Pick out the hen pecked husband - from the comments , being made by the wife accompanying him .....
(B) The tone-deaf clots trying to impress the other friends they came along with ..... the fiddlers.....the tinkerers.....etc etc.

(4) Then finally we get to the usual total overall unbalance of equipment of what is on show . As a result of that - " falsely assumed" of what is actually available in shops- for sale.
It sometimes is just a case : of manufacturers and / or distributors deciding whether or not 'it is really worth the time/trouble /financial outlay staff/ representation at a Show.
No thanks, I prefer to make up my own mind, on Hi Fi choice options -that are really available / and possible synergy combinations of equipment well away from Hi Fi show hub-bub , din & roar. Plus apparently at Hi Fi shows ,"the particular Country-centric influence" of what is supposed to be the 'ants pants' of Hi Fi, comes into play.
For instance -how much percentage of Asian /U.S/or Pacific area manufactured products would you expect to see at a typical European Hi Fi show?
Finally Hi Fi shows are rather patronizing... you pay a price 'to be virtually sold products' and then like kids sent home usually with a kids lolly bag with confections inside...perhaps a couple of crappy CDs you would not want to play in any case.

I don't give a damn. It's part of their job; deal with it.

And they do. But here's the thing. People who don't go to an audio show also don't get to dictate the music played at an audio show. The music played is dictated by those who actually attend. And they flock to the kind of music that is a huge turn-off for many people.

Personally, I hate the music played at shows, and every time I have run a demonstration at a show, I have presented and tried to play as wide a variety of music as I can muster (which, I like to think, is pretty wide). Last time, at Whittlebury Hall last year, I took four flight cases full of everything from Light Orchestral to Heavy Metal, which people were welcome to browse. If anyone wanted to play their own music, they were welcome to do so too.

IIRC, just one person handed me an album to play over the course of the weekend. The bands I was asked for the most (that I didn't have) were Dire Straits and Pink Floyd, and the ones I was asked to play the most (that I did have) were Norah Jones, Elvis, and Dave Brubeck. The quickest room clearance was in less than a minute (Placido Domingo), and the most consistent 'turn that rubbish off' came whenever I played Tool or Trentemøller. The only tracks I could play consistently from the last 10 years of recording without exodus were from Daft Punk and Lorde (and possibly London Grammar).

To get back on thread and try to answer the OP's question why dont they play decent music at hi fi shows ? you need to look at it from the demonstrators viewpoint.

They are stood around for a few days sometimes in a near empty room so they play what they want to hear most of the time unless asked to play a certain track etc. therefore in general its the music that they like or are trying thats being played not what the potential customer wants to hear.

The other point that has been raised is the fact that dem room clashes with music levels in some cases overlapping into another room does at times mean that levels are kept down as to not interfere with other dems close by.

The worst shows are in hotels IMHO bloody ridiculous sizes with dreadful acoustics....Bristol springs to mind which i now refuse to attend.

A refreshing thing happened in one dem room at the last show i attended which made me think that ALL demonstrators should maybe consider......as we entered the room he gave us an ipad and asked us to choose a track that we wanted to hear and then passed the remote for the volume control - nice touch.

On the flip side in particular room they had set up two pairs of speakers with two systems one was set along the north wall which when entering were being played with some obscure tecno stuff at silly volume levels and another pair with a similar system at right angles along the wall to the west.
I asked several times if we could hear the other speakers which i was and am still interested in purchasing at some point to be played to which the guy totally ignored my request.
In the end as the guy seemed uninterested in my request and the room was near empty i repositioned the seats (approx a dozen) to face towards the west wall now facing the speakers that i wished to hear and asked for him to play an LP that i had picked from the variety that he had.
he seemed rather taken aback at first but quickly helped us move chairs and realised that its not about what he wanted but about what a potential customer wants.
i and many others enjoyed this configeration more instead of the first one that we were listening to - JOB DONE :D

Hi Fi shows and the pick of music offered to please the passing potential clients, becomes noting more than an impossible Music Tower of Babel exercise.

A turn -off to me is to walk into some Hi Fi shop and find their selection of music for audition purposes is ...given any particular musical genre ...

(1) Either obscure 'audiophile rated discs 'containing poorly performed music, found to be excessively over -engineered , badly balanced 'show-off material' .....BUT '1st class -audiophile examples of State of the Art recording ' (it is alleged!)

(2) Disc material that is being released mainly from a couple of Hi Fi manufacturer labels ,...as if they are the 'latest thing on the block'. The repertoire contained...higgledy-piggle' stuff. Without rhyme or reason for its created existence except to try to give some sublimated advert message - to remind people also - of the label's Hi Fi equipment.

(3) If people into Hi FI today truly followed with a absolute passion what is currently accepted as recorded 'benchmarks' in the particular genre of music they are interested in.......80 % of the recorded rubbish currently presented as fine examples of music WORTH taking the trouble to listen to & actually collect...would be relegated to the nearest dirt -bins.

(4) The most severe test for any new Hi FI equipment worth purchasing and for which the buyer can clearly see- is for it to beneficially reveal more detail than ever of classic well-known recordings. without down-sides.

Music freak....In agreement with your point 4...the trouble or interesting thing is, every system and every room and every day can produces different SQ....that's the beauty of this subject...even your system, setup slightly differently in your room may bring out different features in your favorite music.

The point of a show or retailer demo is to find something that really takes the music you enjoy to a different league of performance as you hear it...in that way you can purchase that system/component in the fairly safe knowledge that you will hear your music in greater detail or reproduced better in your home....otherwise return it.

advertisement

Back