advertisement

Ageing NAD 3150

TomvanHalen

Hello all,

I have in my possession a NAD 3150, in-between a Linn Axis tt and Helix speakers, which I was pretty much happy with. However the left channel on the phono stage has been playing up since my last move and has now completely died on me. The auxiliary input still works fine, though the left speaker has small amount of background fuzz, for want of a better description.

From what I can tell these aren't the most solidly-built things, and while at some point I can get my father to have a look at it (being an electrical engineer and all) it'll be a while before I visit anyway and I'd like to start thinking about at least a temporary replacement.

Nearby for sale I've seen a Linn Intek, a QED A230 and an MF Elektra E11, and there are plenty of Cyruses on the 'bay, but what else should I be looking at around the £100-£150 range that will fit in with my system?

Many thanks and that

The QED is a good 'un and still under the radar. The A240 is better still; it's well recognised in the industry that QED undercharged for these amps. The quality of build, QC and componentry (especially the rather nice Holden & Fisher Tx within) was from a class or two above. Only the printing on the painted alloy facia was a problem as it can wear off with use. The standard onboard MM phono stage is good too, the optional SA stage even better. Secondhand these amps are still seriously underpriced.

A Nytech is good, but a bit fragile and serviceability is not so easy. A good one though is a joy. The later Ion amps are superb and your budget might just stretch to Obelisk 1. However, don't go thinking it's a NAIT on the cheap - it isn't. In fairness it's also a fair ways from an Obelisk 3 or even a 2 but it is a little sweetie all the same and a nice foil for something like a Cyrus 1.

A Quantum A100 is worth considering too, but again, can be fragile. Construction is fairly prosaic too, but I'm personally a big fan of Quantum kit with lots of happy memories of great sounds from my Uni days.

Another one to consider is the A&R A60 (lots of info on here) or, from the same stable, its successor the Delta 60. The latter could be considered Arcam's assault on the market for the Naim NAIT3 and is still under-rated. It's another well built, reliable, and great sounding amp (and coincidentally another chunky H&F tx inside). The phono stage is excellent too, and offers MC as well. However, avoid the Delta 90. For some reason this one lacks any of the verve of its smaller brother.

Good to hear. The A230 is certainly very affordable, though I can't find any 240s kicking about.

More opinions appreciated! Any Japanese or modern options I should be looking at also. What's the issue with the Intek?

Chilliboy had an Arcam Delta 290 for sale on here a while ago, recently serviced, with the phono stage. Never heard it, but apparently much like the Alpha 9 which has served me well for years. Admittedly my frame of reference is limited ( to the Alpha 9). But the crucial thing with this vintage and at this price is that it's been serviced, I would say.

It's a nice amp the Delta 290, much nicer sound than the Audiolab 8000A in my opinion, however you must watch out for its achilles heel - the source selector switch. This breaks down fairy quickly and first gets noisy, then you get intermittent sound. Arcam used to be able to replace it - at a cost - but I'm not sure if they still can. The thing to be careful of is that switch cleaner can perform a temporary "fix", however, it doesn't last long before problems return.

The Rotel amps were very good and well built. The 800 series is smart & good value second hand.

Where are you Tom? I'm in Leeds, I have a friend's Rotel integrated in great order, for loose change. If you can get to Cleethorpes then he has a houseful of stuff that you'd be interested in, you'd probably stagger out carrying some huge 200WPC beast that he'd been using to run his home cinema L&R for a couple of years.

The 3150 is actually a very good amp if you can get over the low level of hum it continuously produces through the speakers. I could never get that hum to disappear on mine despite trying several tactics that work on other equipment.

I doubt any of the suggestions so far would actually better the Nad.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much to ponder on.

stevec67 - I'm in Norwich, Leeds is a bit of a trek sadly! And I don't drive. But thank you for the offer, maybe postage would be an option? Dunno.

colasblue - I know what you mean about the background hum, I'm just so used to it now. Can be quite handy if I realise I've left it running! I just hope I can get it fixed.

advertisement

Back