advertisement

REALLY? Does gold make the difference in HIFI?

neurobassist

pfm Member
I recently took two amps to bits for repairs including the phono sockets the other day and did not see one gold item in there.

There was gold outside but not inside.

There must be a difference between other metals and gold, but really is there THAT much of a difference that we can hear it?

Or is it all a listening con and a aesthetic looking paradise? :rolleyes:

I recently took two amps to bits for repairs including the phono sockets the other day and did not see one gold item in there.

There was gold outside but not inside.

There must be a difference between other metals and gold, but really is there THAT much of a difference that we can hear it?

Or is it all a listening con and a aesthetic looking paradise? :rolleyes:
I would expect to find gold inside on pin headers for ribbon connectors and inside mechanical switches.
The only place gold makes sense is in a contact and it is actually bad for solder joints

Nope, it just looks uber cool to the guys you invite around to see yer Hi-Fi.. ohhh Gold connectors..

Gold isn't as good a conductor as copper either, it's purely to stop tarnishing or be in very expensive cables' 'special alloys'.

I read some where that added metals like gold or silver eventually can be a liability should the base metal oxidise then you have an electrical component with the added gold (I cannt remember which)

I read some where that added metals like gold or silver eventually can be a liability should the base metal oxidise then you have an electrical component with the added gold (I cannt remember which)

I've heard that the oxide layer can act as a Diode... I've maybe seen the effect a couple of times on an FFT (extended harmonic spurie) - reseating the connectors restored correct operation.

Very short answer " Yes" much more profit for the provider/ manufacture, plus a little less oxidation between connecters :)
oldie

I've heard that the oxide layer can act as a Diode... I've maybe seen the effect a couple of times on an FFT (extended harmonic spurie) - reseating the connectors restored correct operation.

Gold doesn't oxidise thats why it is sometimes used on metal contacts. Its a stay-clean solution.

Cheers,

DV

Very short answer " Yes" much more profit for the provider/ manufacture, plus a little less oxidation between connecters :)
oldie

A lot less, if it's done properly (ie doesn't wear off) it'll stop oxidation indefinitely.

Anti-oxidisation is the property for for which it is used, in connectors generally (computers etc) - not just in hi-fi.

Does it make it sound 'better', no. But the idea is it may stop the quality of the connection degrading due to oxidisation over time.
Inside, connectors aside, the PCB will all be copper and the solder tin/lead or lead-free solders (depending on age and location of manufacture).

I use silver solder for my hand-made cables, but just because I can and might as-well.

Don't expect to find gold used in anything but the thinest of anti-corrosion coatings, anything more would be a very expensive waste! So once you open any item up, it's all rather more plain vanilla.

The gold is actually a _very_ thin layer, so it's not really a big expense item in the overall cost of the bom.

Classic FUD!

Well done.

The consequences of placing a diode into a circuit carrying an A/C signal would not be subtle...

Oxides and sulphides of both copper and especially silver are known causes of non-linearity in connectors. This is well documented for RF connectors. Signal connectors use gold flashing in all branches of the electronics industry. There is no point at all in using exotic metals in the body of the connector

I know silver should be used on some broadcast plugs and connectors and that does make a big difference. But as you guys say tarnish and oxidization is limited with gold.

So really its nice to use gold for aethetics and that better connectivity. But Quality of audio isn't really improved as such, just maintained at a tarnish free gold zone, so to speak?

Hmm Cheers one and all!

advertisement

Back