advertisement

"Space sim" - Elite and Dangerous - Discussion thread

Mr_Sukebe

pfm Member
Hi chaps.
I know we had a thread about WoT. Thought it might be worth starting one on Elite, partly because some of you may have played the original.

Anyone here already playing? I've just recently started, I see this one sticking.

For those unaware:
- Elite has been created by the same team who did the old versions, yep, including the wireframe version that I first saw on the BBC model b 30 years ago
- Design is similar to the old one. Take a ship, go out an explore, trade, go mining or just blow things up. Take your pick on how you do it. Personally I'm doing a lot of smuggling
- The setting is a HUGE universe, really massive and interestingly, there's just the one in game, which is used by players for the PC, Mac and now Xbow one versions
- Usual stuff of go out, do things, earn money, get to buy bigger ships
- Right now, there's no losses from buying and selling ship components. So if you add something, find it doesn't work, just sell it again for no loss and replace it with something else that might. Great way to encourage experimentation
- Whilst there's just one persistent universe and you can see all computer generated ships, there's limits in the game meaning that for example, you can't see Xbox players if you're on a PC (and vice versa). If you play "solo", you can't see any other real players. You can go out there for general open play with say all PC players, or chose just to play with a small group of friends and ignore all other real people. VERY interesting idea, partly because whilst you can't directly interface with other people unless you chose to, ALL players can still influence what's happening in the universe
- Graphics look ace. Control wise it looks just as a modern version of the original is. Apparently it's very well optimised and includes the capability to use multi-core CPUs. Works wonderful on my PC, but even runs on my crappy laptop (playable, but not nice looking)
- It already supports new VR hardware (i.e. occulus rift) and will support the new HTC unit. I've been reading about this, and have GOT to do it
- It's added something recently called Powerplay. In short, there's 10 "factions" in the universe. If you wish, align yourself to them and get an even wider choise of missions to undertake. Includes there own benefits
- The control mechanics can be done using a mouse and keyboard, but that's not optimum. I tried a cheapo MS Xbox wired controller last week, and that was better. Just added a decent flightstick and that makes it lovely.

If anyone fancies creating a "wing" when I'm back in the UK next week, let me know. My ID is the same as here.

Yes, i've been playing for a while now - I remember the original wire frame BBC version, and also versions for the C64 and Amiga (with filled graphics would you believe it!).

I got a copy to see if my son would find it fun, and he's been playing a fair bit, although more closed 'shoot everything you can see' style multiplayer games are things he's fairly into, so the slower pace is something he is having to adjust to.

I like the overall feel of the game, the controls, and think the system of viewing the planets within a solar system, with potentially many different fractions fighting each other matches more closely what you'd expect when we head for the stars in our faster than light vehicles ;-)

The size of the universe means that they have to work hard to try and get real players to the same places on the map, and I expect them to put more effort into this, and balancing as the game develops. It's all promising though, and let's hope they stick with it.

This brings back memories.....

When I was a youngster, I used to play Elite on the ZX Spectrum IIRC. Used to love it. Didn't even think it might still exist on newer platforms.

Ooooh.... not played Elite since getting it on my Amstrad CPC464 back in the day. Must find out more... :)

Hi chaps.
I know we had a thread about WoT. Thought it might be worth starting one on Elite, partly because some of you may have played the original.

Anyone here already playing? I've just recently started, I see this one sticking.

For those unaware:
- Elite has been created by the same team who did the old versions, yep, including the wireframe version that I first saw on the BBC model b 30 years ago
- Design is similar to the old one. Take a ship, go out an explore, trade, go mining or just blow things up. Take your pick on how you do it. Personally I'm doing a lot of smuggling
- The setting is a HUGE universe, really massive and interestingly, there's just the one in game, which is used by players for the PC, Mac and now Xbow one versions
- Usual stuff of go out, do things, earn money, get to buy bigger ships
- Right now, there's no losses from buying and selling ship components. So if you add something, find it doesn't work, just sell it again for no loss and replace it with something else that might. Great way to encourage experimentation
- Whilst there's just one persistent universe and you can see all computer generated ships, there's limits in the game meaning that for example, you can't see Xbox players if you're on a PC (and vice versa). If you play "solo", you can't see any other real players. You can go out there for general open play with say all PC players, or chose just to play with a small group of friends and ignore all other real people. VERY interesting idea, partly because whilst you can't directly interface with other people unless you chose to, ALL players can still influence what's happening in the universe
- Graphics look ace. Control wise it looks just as a modern version of the original is. Apparently it's very well optimised and includes the capability to use multi-core CPUs. Works wonderful on my PC, but even runs on my crappy laptop (playable, but not nice looking)
- It already supports new VR hardware (i.e. occulus rift) and will support the new HTC unit. I've been reading about this, and have GOT to do it
- It's added something recently called Powerplay. In short, there's 10 "factions" in the universe. If you wish, align yourself to them and get an even wider choise of missions to undertake. Includes there own benefits
- The control mechanics can be done using a mouse and keyboard, but that's not optimum. I tried a cheapo MS Xbox wired controller last week, and that was better. Just added a decent flightstick and that makes it lovely.

If anyone fancies creating a "wing" when I'm back in the UK next week, let me know. My ID is the same as here.

Have you seen this guys vids on Elite: Dangerous?

[YOUTUBE]?v=3jbxW1jVd4c[/YOUTUBE]

Boys give us old retards a few links to get up to speed

Love scifi but never played any game except marathon free on a MacUser disc

What sort of mac kit is needed

Brilliant - thanks for this!

I've some cracking memories of "Right on Commander" messages on my way to achieving 'Deadly' status - even sent off for the badge.

Rico - IIRC there are both pc and mac versions. Check out the store at Frontier.

https://www.frontierstore.net/

Cheers

Nick

There is also an XBOX One beta for £24.99 on the XBOX store.

Downloaded the 2-hour trial last night, was just about to dock and my time expired.

The old puppy dog sales tactic worked as I've now parted with the cash.

Cheers

CMDR Doodle Dosh

advertisement

Back