advertisement

Grammar and tense...

windhoek,

Can't help you with grammar, but I know what caused the dinosaurs* to go extinct.

far-side.jpg

dinosaur_volcano1_h.jpg

Joe

* Apart from the birds.

Well they stoned one way or the other :)

Example A
1. I listened to the album and thought it was highly compressed.
2. I listened to the album and thought it is highly compressed.

Surely 1. is the correct version. The thinking happened because of the listening, both happened in the past, therefore both should be in past tense. QED ;)

Surely 1. is the correct version. The thinking happened because of the listening, both happened in the past, therefore both should be in past tense. QED ;)

I'm inclined to agree, although uncertainty arose when I considered whether the album remains compressed, which it presumably does, and what would be the most apt way to express it.

I'm inclined to agree, although uncertainty arose when I considered whether the album remains compressed, which it presumably does, and what would be the most apt way to express it.

Ah, in that case, one would indicate the listening was done in the past but the thinking is in the present. Therefore: I listened to the album and think it is highly compressed. QED again ;)

Ah, in that case, one would indicate the listening was done in the past but the thinking is in the present. Therefore: I listened to the album and think it is highly compressed. QED again ;)

Yeah that's what I thought...and think :)

This is correct:

I listened to the album and thought it highly compressed.

Sounds wrong to me. I'd add in a 'have':

I have listened to the album and think it is highly compressed.

Or, 'I didn't listen to the album because it is highly compressed' (a fact which might be knowable a priori).

I listened to the album and thought it is highly compressed.

Is there any problem with, I listened to the album and thought, "It is highly compressed".

I agree; although I ask because I'm writing a book and want to make sure I get grammar right because apparently, it's quite costly to get a book properly proofread.

Have you considered attending an evening literature class? Investing some time to enable confident basic sentence structure would be worthwhile and allow you to express yourself more succinctly.

advertisement

Back