advertisement

mid life crisis upgrade

A proper mid-life crisis should surely involve some self-pitying introspection, followed by a dramatic collapse and a complete change of direction.

So I say listen to nothing but Nine Inch Nails for a month, then sell all the Naim, and follow Clive's suggestion of some whopping speakers and a Devialet.

You will emerge stronger and wiser.

Even if you dont have the tom burning a hole in your pocket.. a midlife hifi crisis is easy to justify.. "either a mistress or me at home listening to hifi..which do you prefer?"

in the 2nd hand market 10 grand gets you a ton.. stuff that maybe cost 25k a few years ago..often going off at a complete tangent and doing a system reset can work too.

Thanks for the room compliment, its an a amazing place to listen in..built around the speakers...

The devialet, even tho mine is only a D prem..is an outstanding piece of gear in many ways . its actually pretty good value..
Im shrewdly negotiating to buy another d prem and do a 500 .. off to ireland for a wedding in december so my hifi warchest has dwindled to a mere piddle..

I'd get some Roger Sanders electrostatics (and I'd probably get a pair of his amplifiers, too) or a pair of new top of the line Quads.

Perhaps there's a reason why you only play vinyl where something's not available on CD. You seriously need a better TT in the context of the rest of your system. Sure, you'd need a phono stage and a good cart, plus some more vinyl too, but £10k would buy the lot, and a very fine TT.

A Devialet seems really popular here on this forum, I've got to try one sometime! It's hard for me to get my head around in terms of looks alone it seems too thin, clean and shiny to product a meaty involving musical sound. My wife would "love" me to ditch my separates and replace with something as good looking as the Devialet.

New speakers and have a listen to some Vitus or Norma amps. .
Or just go on that trip to New Zealand or Cuba you always wanted.

Ah, Devialet at exhibiting at the National Audio Show coming soon at Whittlebury Hall - there's my chance to have a listen and see what all the fuss is about!

Devialet: clean and clear. Flexible, adaptable. Better than anything else? Hmmm.

When I listened to the Devialet Premier I found that it sounded at least as good as my then Nac 252 + Nap 200 x 2 active into Linn Ninkas. But it was not better-sounding, I thought. But then those were my cloth-ears.

If you want a life-style product with some claim to very good sound and a stylish remote, then go ahead. But other brands will sound equally well at that price point, albeit with a slightly different sound signature.

In ones fiftieth year one buys a Minimoog. It is the way of things. Mine is a Voyager as I couldn't afford a mint restored Model D, but for £10k you'll have no problem.

I'm going to regret asking this here ain't I :)

SJB
I'm afraid so

BTW i would ignore the "Naim tat" remark, you obviously purchased it for a reason & have enjoyed it, i doubt you would have listened to tat for all this time as would have lot's of other Naim owners.

My CDS3/252/300/SL2 was a lesser system to OP's but ATC made me realise it was game over for Naim. I sold all my Naim after that, got a very simple system and got much more enjoyment from it.

About 6 or 7 years ago, well before my midlife crisis had hit hard, I heard your amps (552/300) through Focal Diablo Utopias. People say Focal are violently detailed and harsh etc , and I've heard that demonstrated once or twice in other systems. But this did sound pretty amazing. It was only for a few minutes, so hard to judge how I would live with an ultra-resolution deadly poisonous tweeter in the long run, but I still remember it very clearly 6 or 7 years later. And I still couldn't possible afford it. Since you could, it might be worth a listen.

advertisement

Back