advertisement

Onix Oa21s integrated advice please

ron 1

pfm Member
Advice please should I leave the amp on all the time or turn it off after use. I,m trying it with Naim Sbl,s anybody tried that combination before if so interested in your views.

Regardless, if it has not been serviced in last 10 years it will benefit from one (at least new smoothing caps).

Thanks Dowser on your comments on the Onix. Question, it has,nt had a service for quite a while but on the other hand it has,nt had much use either. Would it do any harm if I left it on all the time? Also where are the smoothing caps on the circuit board?
Thanks again

I have an Onix OA21s still that I use in my garage work shop. I go by Dowser's idea, only leaving it on if I plan to return within a day.
This is another of those debated topics on other forums regarding all gear. It saves warm up time but I am not one who leaves everything on. First, I have 5 full hifi set up (Sonneteer Orton, Rega Brio R, an HK and a Marantz.) That would be a lot and I have the light police in he house to make sure we don't waste power. In spite of her best efforts we have only cut the bill from $100 to $80 per month, which does not include cooking, heat or hot water except the circulating pumps. I don't think the cost is such a big deal but it seems that leaving it on all the time could shorten it's life. Some who know more than me disagree.

Thanks Dowser on your comments on the Onix. Question, it has,nt had a service for quite a while but on the other hand it has,nt had much use either. Would it do any harm if I left it on all the time? Also where are the smoothing caps on the circuit board?
Thanks again

As above - and if you have to ask where the shooting caps are, get someone else to change them :) They will be the 2 biggest electrolytic caps you see when taking cover off, and they may well hold a charge for a while after being powered off.

Richard

The smoothing caps are the 4 large ones near the transformer (4700uF 63v). Maximum height you can fit is 50mm. Look for high ripple current.

Hi, I had a bit of a problem with the volume pot and the input selector purely from lack of use, this has now been rectified and all is sweet again. The original blue capacitors 4700uF I gather were especially made for Onix and are now no longer available .From trawling on various sites I have seen Panasonic TS-Ha 6800 uF 50v being used as a replacement for the originals. Before embarking on getting the amp serviced I would be interested if any members have replaced the original caps and if so which ones together with feedback on the results.
Thankyou to all for their input on this thread.

Bhc ALC40A472BD050 would probably be the equivalent as the blue caps were made by bhc I think. Can't find anywhere that stocks those on a quick google though. As long as you stick to 25mm max dia and 50mm max height you'll be ok. Those panasonics are probably fine.

There's quite a few options for 4700 or 6800uf 25mm dia 50v or 63v caps at RS-online actually. Be worth taking a look there. They have the tsha caps along with lots of others.

advertisement

Back