advertisement

Vinyl back on sale at Tesco

I think this is brilliant news.

HMV in Tunbridge Wells have expanded on two floors with at least 150 vinyl albums. I bought yet another copy of Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon" given there was only one left, and at least 15 young men and women were hunting through the titles modern and old with excitement.

Now, if they can increase the content the albums would prove interesting reading and listening.

Peter

I agree Peter, it would seem that digital streaming is succeeding at the expense of CD, in turn a small subset of those people who want a physical copy are buying vinyl. Let's hope that the sales numbers are consistent. Whilst I stream everything I currently listen to, a world where recordings are only released digitally with no physical media would be very sad. For the seemingly few modern artists that write and perform their own music, I imagine they want something to show for it, other than a page on the iTunes store.

Vinyl resurges. Nestled between the Family Guy "World's Greatest Dad" mugs and the slave-labour-manufactured Darth Vader Tee Shirts for £5. Welcome back. Hope you like your new digs.

Whilst I stream everything I currently listen to, a world where recordings are only released digitally with no physical media would be very sad. For the seemingly few modern artists that write and perform their own music, I imagine they want something to show for it, other than a page on the iTunes store.

Likewise, I'd be disappointed if I couldn't buy the physical media...

I've just noticed a different model from Amazon, perhaps others have already seen it, but it's new to me...

I bought a Fall CD the other day, only to notice this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DHSLUGK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

CD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.co.uk.

and for an explanation...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201187910&pop-up=1

It'll be interesting to see what dbpoweramp 'Accurate Rip' makes of it...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My local HMV has reopened as a branch of Head after being shut for a couple of years, along with a reasonable selection of vinyl they also stock some t/t's. Among the plastic Crossleys etc is a Project and even a Rega! How times change.

It will be just like the late 80s and 90s when people pressing vinyl will simply sell it all because it's... [shrug] well you know... it's vinyl. I am convinced to this day that this is why Hootie and The Blowfish existed.

Groover,

We have made the RP1 turntable available to independent record stores in the UK as the logical extension of our involvement and sponsorship of Record Store Day 2015 (and 2016 to come)

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

A local independent music shop in Worcester stocked a few LPs about 4 years ago, and now about a third of the floor space is vinyl, and the manager says vinyl sales dominate their profits.

Nic P

Now we need to see Rega sold in Tesco. Frozen peas..... check...... RP1 tescos edition.... check :) That would be an eye opener :D

I would like to think people in Tesco can recognise and afford a bit of quality....ooooh I'm such a snob! :)

Anyway I'm hoping to see vinyl at £5.99 to a tenner.....Fat chance eh!

Vinyl resurgence is becoming mainstream. This is the beginning of the end. Hipsters are already trying to get rid of their collections which have been transformed into normcore almost overnight.

I found a new vinyl copy of a relatively obscure band's (Wire) most obscure album (Document and Eyewitness) in HMV in Kingston a couple of months ago. Rather disturbed me in a way.

Groover,

We have made the RP1 turntable available to independent record stores in the UK as the logical extension of our involvement and sponsorship of Record Store Day 2015 (and 2016 to come)

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Brilliant, just brilliant. Almost makes me want to come back to the UK.

nothing like that in Hong Kong ... yet...vinyl is still the domain of the 'high-endy' here

well good luck to Tesco. I visited the so called once famous record exchange in Nottinghill Gate London. Used to be quite an empire there much now reduced. As for the LPs. What a joke all rubbish tat dog eared junk back when I used to buy records years ago from there. None of the good stuff I have in my collection. The classical section was embarrassing poor again with junk, junk junk. The only good thing is that dvds there can now be quite cheap:),. The sad thing was that there were a few people in their 20/30's hunting thru the LPs with glee & great concentration

R&TE always had dog eared records on account of the many punters thumbing through their wares. Never bought much from them except when desparate or the very very occasional rare one that slipped through -- they were always as far as I can recall overpriced... always, and man, their stickers were *brutal*

advertisement

Back