advertisement

Unsighted comparisons

It's not black and white at all. You are saying that you struggle to hear differences after a short while.

Quite obviously those differences Re therefore very small and insignificant.

There is no agenda.

Do I have to explain the analytical versus enjoyment mode thing again?

Did you get the point about 5 minutes of tape hiss?

But has this test been done? That's the question in the OP. The answer seems to be 'no'.

I'm pretty sure there have a quite a number of blind listening tests conducted over the years.........I'm not sure you can conclude that listener fatigue has never been accounted for.

If people can reliably tell the difference then it will show in the statistics.

If a difference is real and not imagined, it will repeatably and reliably show up in blind tests.

Example:

Me and an old friend from the record shop days have a game where we play recordings for the other to pick the orchestra and conductor, can you understand how doing this sighted would spoil the game?

Baz,

Sometimes, I feel you just don't take this place as seriously as you once did…

Where's the Star Trek dood?

Sorry, I'm broken and tired. I have lost the flame.

But I can oblige with some Trek. The Captain Kirk fight music that starts at 2:30 is awesome. Watch it at least that long.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
The likes of yourself, our nocturnal BE718 and Purite are basically saying blind tests should not be difficult or fatiguing.

I take care to explain carefully how and why they may be difficult and fatiguing.

Purite comes back with they are not difficult or fatiguing.

Hence, "Whoooosh!!!!!"

No, that's not quite what is being said, but the point is if you can't hear the difference, you can't hear the difference, it's therefore too small to be significant.

I am still bemused why some find it all so terribly stressful that they lose the ability to hear all of a sudden.

No, that's not quite what is being said, but the point is if you can't hear the difference, you can't hear the difference, it's therefore too small to be significant.

I am still bemused why some find it all so terribly stressful that they lose the ability to hear all of a sudden.

It doesn't happen all of a sudden, it happens gradually in the case of fatigue.

Hearing what is relevant to musical enjoyment can be more difficult in analytical listening mode. Hence the tape hiss.

You seem not terribly interested in investigating the listener fatigue element.

I wonder why.

Baz,

No idea, but did you know that mods on Steve Hoffman's forum are called gorts?

Joe

I have reader fatigue , am i reading what i think i'm reading or am i part of my own universe & everyone else is an illusion in my matrix world.

See what i mean

Joe,

I did not, but more importantly, how many PM's has poor Tony recieved on this matter?

Thanks for the vid man, outstanding!

Hang on, change of plan.

I think the mods here should be called 'The Borg'

I have reader fatigue , am i reading what i think i'm reading or am i part of my own universe & everyone else is an illusion in my matrix world.

See what i mean

Not really, just the usual (deliberate IMHO) misunderstandings...

What i think would make a great blind test would be to pair a budget £300 system against some exotic 10 grand system (using speakers in the middle ground) without knowing this in the process, the listener would not know the make or model of anything used or the reasoning behind the test , just to note their thoughts.

Especially if they were told they could walk away with either system free of charge (speakers excluded)

I do wonder, without the view of such grand gear, sitting proudly on the rack, how they would respond to it's sound in comparison.

I have heard many a budget set up outgun a so called superior one costing ten times the price.

A cambridge 340c cd player for one costing £150 up against a Cyrus CD7Q costing over a grand, no contest.

Do I have to explain the analytical versus enjoyment mode thing again?

Did you get the point about 5 minutes of tape hiss?

Oh please do Steven, I'm most excited to hear about it again. Also there may be new members who would benefit from learning from your experience.

Some certainly would

Quite. There they are listening to records and stuff without realising that if they raised their speaker cables on little plastic cones or did other amazing things like 'cable dressing' (a bit like dressage without horses or well dressing without wells) they would be so much happier. It is a national disgrace!

Quite. There they are listening to records and stuff without realising that if they raised their speaker cables on little plastic cones or did other amazing things like 'cable dressing' (a bit like dressage without horses or well dressing without wells) they would be so much happier. It is a national disgrace!
What you get up to in your spare time is none of my business ;)

advertisement

Back