advertisement

NACA5 in non Naim system. What is best alternative

I use string dipped in spit - it has to be camel spit, mind.

It's a bit quiet, but the soundstage goes all the way back to Cairo.

Sold all my Naim boxes but kept the naca5 worst thing I've ever done in many many years of box swapping/cable swapping. I went on to try various well regarded speakers but could never get them to sound good in my listening room mainly bloated bass Bought 14 metres of speaker cable from Ebay the clear plastic type with a red stripe down one side £20 terminated and delivered and these have cleared up the bass problem. They have remained in my main system and have never failed to impress me on any type of music

On a more sensible note, i'd advise leaving it alone, but if like me, you can't resist the tempttion, try some cheap alternatives. 69 strand. linn K20. Various Van Damme etc etc. It's the experimentation that's the fun!! Go for it.

You don't seem to match up to you name diybry roll your own cable ;-)

Pete

I found a reel of 16mm csa wire in the skip so I used that.
It's 10mm diameter and needs a blowtorch to solder it but it is rated at 90 amps continuous.
Sounds wounderful much more open than naca5.

Pete

Why stop there, Pete? What's wrong with 25mm2 tails, or, for the icing on the cake, supply cable as used underground to your house?:)

I used to use 2.5 mm2 t & e for Rogers speakers plugged into my (then) 250 (garden use) and I do wonder what common or garden t & e, say 6 or 10mm2 would do, as it seems not dissimilar to what you have.

Funnily enough have just done so :) and now see what you mean :). Back in the day I used to regularly dem 79 strand against Linn K20, A4 and A5 - the 79 strand was easily beaten.

Funnily enough have just done so :) and now see what you mean :). Back in the day I used to regularly dem 79 strand against Linn K20, A4 and A5 - the 79 strand was easily beaten.
This is based on qed 79 strand not qed 79 strand, he makes his own cables, my 5 pin din is based on Naim 5 pin din selling at 5 times the price, ask most who have compared & 80% can't hear a difference, the other 20% prefer it over the Naim.

It does say on the site that it is equivalent to QED 79 strand - he makes the cable up in that he fits plugs to it - he doesn't literally make the cable itself (not that it really matters).

Look, I was one of the people that recommended Flashback to you in the first place so I've no problem with them and use a couple of their interconnects. But in my experience (direct first hand experience) 100% of people had no difficulty hearing that 79 strand was better than 42 strand and thicker cables (they don't have to be from Linn or Naim) were better than 79 strand.

Honestly, this 80% couldn't hear a difference (they need their hearing checking) and the remaining 20% prefered it is rubbish (perhaps if the sample size was three partially deaf people).

It does say on the site that it is equivalent to QED 79 strand - he makes the cable up in that he fits plugs to it - he doesn't literally make the cable itself (not that it really matters).

Look, I was one of the people that recommended Flashback to you in the first place so I've no problem with them and use a couple of their interconnects. But in my experience (direct first hand experience) 100% of people had no difficulty hearing that 79 strand was better than 42 strand and thicker cables (they don't have to be from Linn or Naim) were better than 79 strand.

Honestly, this 80% couldn't hear a difference (they need their hearing checking) and the remaining 20% prefered it is rubbish (perhaps if the sample size was three partially deaf people).
80% couldn't hear a difference from the flashback 5 pin din to the current Naim 5 pin din at 5 times the cost.

You need to read the post more carefully before starting a rant.

The cable was a simple suggestion to the op, who I believe is looking for a speaker cable to replace a Naim cable, if you are not happy with the suggestion it doesn't really matter now does it, it's the op who will make a decision on what to buy.

This thread is over 3 years old, resurrected yesterday, so i suspect the op has made his cable choice already.

Keep the NACA5! It is now 18 times more expensive than it was 25 years ago. If I wait another 25 years I could probably sell them to pay for my coffin :eek:

advertisement

Back