advertisement

Olympus OM2 outfit

Si74

pfm Member
Got given this by a friend and a bit flummoxed? by it.
Cocking the shutter and firing it off, the mirror stays up
until the reset function is used?
The batteries are obviosly long since dead but was uinder
the impression that the camera was manual and the batteries
would only be for metering ala my old Canons.
Hoping someone can help
Thanks

False alarm just found a review that proves me wrong, will buy some
batteries and hopefully all will be well:)
Got given the camera with a Zuiko standard & wide angle, Olympus flash and a Tamron zoom when I mentioned going to a car boot sale,lol
No way, lovely little thing staying in my collection!

From memory the OM2 was an electronically controlled shutter camera that had a default manual mode if the batteries failed. It might be 1/60th or B or something, it was a long time ago. Lovely cameras, I still have an OM1n.

Excellent! It's a beautiful little camera, sometimes described as the 'Japanese Leica'. I don't use mine very much, but when I do it's a joy - and still has just about the biggest, brightest viewfinder ever made.

DSCF6115

Agreed, I rather like the OM1 i've got. Mine has the 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5 with it. The other camera from this era I really like is the Pentax MX, which again has a great viewfinder, is a lovely small camera, and has great optics available for little money.

There is only one issue with these systems, and that's getting hold of a sensible 80mm or so lens which seem to be very rare and expensive when available. I'm really not sure why that is!

My first proper SLR camera was an OM1n bought new in 1981 with the 50mm f1.8 lens and ever-ready case. I loved it - a really superb camera with amazing build quality, a great viewfinder and just that little bit more compact and elegant than the competition (Nikons look decidedly clunky sat next to an OM1/2!). I wish I'd still got it as an ornament as it's a real design classic IMO.

I have owned both OM1n and an OM2n (still have an OM2n). The OM1 is all mechanical with a battery that only powers the built in meter. The OM2 is electronic and features `off the film plane metering`. Both are excellent cameras.

You're going to enjoy that - a beautiful camera and a joy to use. Check that the light seals are ok though, they've probably perished by now, and that you have no black gunk on the prism.

I have a little Olympus collection, OM-1N, ON-2N, OM-10 and 35 SP rangefinder, love them all;) The all mechanical OM-1 is my favourite of the SLRs, the only real weakness I would say is the 1/60th flash speed sync, that's where the leaf shutter of rangefinder wins out.

You're going to enjoy that - a beautiful camera and a joy to use. Check that the light seals are ok though, they've probably perished by now, and that you have no black gunk on the prism.

I have a little Olympus collection, OM-1N, ON-2N, OM-10 and 35 SP rangefinder, love them all;) The all mechanical OM-1 is my favourite of the SLRs, the only real weakness I would say is the 1/60th flash speed sync, that's where the leaf shutter of rangefinder wins out.

I would agree the OM1 is a gem. I did have a beautiful OM2sp for a while. It was like a super spec OM2 and that was a wonderful camera; can't remember why I sold it now? The OM2sp morphed into the OM4 whilst Olympus reinvented the OM1 and called it the OM3. The titanium bodied OM3 and OM4's are wonderful things.

I worked my way through the Olympus line over a ten year period, buying, using and selling on second hand cameras. I never bought a brand new one. I had a stable of 5 lenses from 21 - 135mm. I started with an OM1 then an OM2, OM2n and 2 x OM4Ti. Out of all of them my favourite was the OM2n, particularly when I fitted the newer and brighter OM4Ti focussing screen. The OM4Ti was technically the high water mark. However, it was a bit bigger than the 2n, and the manufacturing attention to absolute detail seemed to have been lost along the way. I cannot remember how many times I cut my finger on a sharp bit on the front of the pentaprisms.

Excellent! It's a beautiful little camera, sometimes described as the 'Japanese Leica'.

Indeed it was. Apparently the original design brief was to make a single lens reflex camera no bigger than a Leica M3.

When I was a young teenager, I had a Saturday job in a camera shop. The very early production cameras were actually called the Olympus M1. Until Leica complained. Olympus then had to change the engraving, and any cameras which up to that point had been completed, had a small piece of plastic engraved with the new OM-1 logo stuck over the original M1 designation.

Not actually put a film through this yet but have to agree about the viewfinder, amazing compared to my modern stuff. Love the size of the thing but have to say it caused me to dig out my Canon F1 and I find the handling and speed of setting the correct exposure far easier on my old workhorse.
OM2 won't be going anywhere tho, far to nice a thing to part with.

Chuck a couple of batteries in and show it a roll of film:cool: It takes two EPX76 1.55V silver oxides.

I still have my OM1 (purchased used on the drip, while I was still in high school), to be fair though I've not used it for 8 or 9 years. I have a light seal kit uninstalled, waiting for my attention. I keep meaning to sell it, but can't follow through.

Fantastic system. particularly quiet shutter. full professional system camera, yet pretty rugged - though not quite as tough as an FM. The lenses can be picked up for peanuts. The handling is truely excellent.

In terms of ergonomics, no other SLR of the 70's or 80's had the simple layout of Right Hand: wind, shoot. Left Hand: Focus, (exposure) Aperture, Shutter speed. It's worth reinforcing; most SLRs had you setting exposure with two hands with Aperture on the lens, and shutter speed on the top by the wind lever. Not Olympus, their clever layout placed shutter speed around the lens mount, on the same plane as aperture. So sensible and easy to use.

The handling is brilliant, they're unobtrusive and stealthy for an SLR.

Recommemded.

advertisement

Back