advertisement

Cassette players - worth anything?

stevec67

pfm Member
I've given up on cassettes. I still have a couple of tape players, an Aiwa from 1986 that needs a new drive belt for the FF/RW mech but plays well, and a 3 head Sony TCK 520 that was a fairly nice item in the mod 90s. Are they worth selling or are they charity shop fodder?

From what I see in flea markets, they are worthless land-fill. Nobody wants them except for a very few cassette-nuts who will only consider the very best and most expensive players from the cassette era, e.g. Nakamichi.

FWIW, I have a new, or nearly new, Teac deck that I bought to rip some old tapes that had sentimental value, that I've tried to sell a few times, and basically failed.

Well, as luck would have it I've had a PM re this, so I'll come up with a suitably reasonable price and it's one fewer box sitting doing nothing.

Edit - and the deal is done. I may as well keep the old Aiwa, it has sentimental value as I had it in my student system and I carried it home from Tott Ct Rd with my then girlfriend. Aaah. All together now, pass the sick bag.

The better looking fully featured 3 head machines do sell. Motorized loading, fancy displays and dolby S all add to the buyer appeal. The older ones built like tanks with VU meters can also sell.

It depends what the model is but most of them are basically scrap. Prices are generally low until reaching the status of Nakamichi

You may as well keep one for sentimental value. Its fun dabbling with them. There are still interesting cassettes about and I like the ability to play music on all the formats

I still have a boxed mint Aiwa AD-F810 in my cellar - never got around to trying to sell it, and doubt there is any interest here in CH...but hate to throw it out...looks barely used!

I sold my Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2 on EBay last year for £65.

The buyer was from Lithuania, fortunately he had relatives in the UK, so I didn't have to do an overseas post.

;)

FWIW, the Teac V-615 mentioned in post 3 above is available. Either very cheap or for a charity donation, in West London.

Hi Guys:
I had an Old Yamaha KX-230 not a bad deck for the asking coin, two motor transport, variable bias fine tuning, Dolby HXpro, B & C noise reduction as well as remote control. It was actually quite good as cassette decks go. I left it at a second hand HiFi dealers to be sold on consignment. The dealer went bust and I lost the deck. To be honest I don’t really care as I never got on with cassette tapes and it’s the one music format that never really peaked my interest.

I had access to some pretty high-end decks through work and colleagues but I never really got on with the whole tape thing. Even though I used good quality chrome tapes and always stored them properly, after a couple of years the tapes always suffered HF loss and dropouts. Once the price of a computer CD recorder dropped to the same price of a reasonable cassette deck, that was it for me, cassettes were history.

LPSpinner.

I have an Akai GX-R35, always seemed well made and recorded well, and probably worth more now than the £15 I paid a decade ago.

I still have a boxed mint Aiwa AD-F810 in my cellar - never got around to trying to sell it, and doubt there is any interest here in CH...but hate to throw it out...looks barely used!

You will sell that. Put it on the bay or gumtree for a while. Have a laugh at the prices the US sellers want for them

You wont make a great deal of money but will find it a new home.

advertisement

Back