Beyerdynamic DT531

Burson HA160

Currently:

Beyerdynamic T1
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Audiolab 8200CDQ
Arcam rPAC

Currently in regular use -
beyerdynamic DT1350 (portable), Stax SR-303 (home)

Currently owned but not used much -
Westone 3, Yamaha HP-1, beyerdynamic ET1000, Phonak Audeo PFE 112 V1, Alessandro MS1, AKG K140 600ohm, AKG K270 Playback, Jecklin Float Model 2

Previous -
Koss Portapro, Ultrasone HFI-780, Fostex T50RP, Sennheiser HD650, AKG K702, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Alessandro MS2i, AiAiAi TMA-1, Grado SR125i, Grado SR80, Grado SR-60, Sennheiser CX300

I used to listen Sennheiser HD650, but after hearing the Grado GS1000i I sold the Sennheiser immediately.

Now I listen to the Grado through a Grace Design M902 DAC Headphone Amp and enjoy it everyday.

Currently own:
Headphones
Grado PS1000, PS1, GS1000, HF2, RS1, SR60, iGrado
Hifiman HE500s
Westone 3SX, UM2s
Etymotic 4S
Yuin OP1

Amps
Grado RA1
EAR-Yoshino HP4
Melos SHA-X

Have owned or had on hand for 12 months:
Sony MDR10s (3 versions)
Stax Omega IIs
Sennheiser HD800s, HD650s, HD600s, HD580s, HE60s
Grado HP1s, HP2s, HP3s, SR325s, SR300s, SR200s, RS2s
Audio Technica L3000s, WPJ11s
Beyerdynamic T1

Picked up a pair of Fostex T50RPs today for peanuts. It's quite easy to hear how good the planar drivers in these beasties are. The aberrations immediately obvious are resonances in the cheap plastic shell/ baffle mouldings and the leaky fit of the skimpy ear pads.
I'm going to get to work on them when with published mods I get home.
Tried their new open TH500s- a lot off kick from them on percussion but a little coloured compared with 600 and 900s.
Also had a very big grin listening to Sennheiser HD800s playing London Calling through the Hugo. Big fat soundstage and remarkable rendition of kick drum.

From what I can remember;
Sennheiser HD800
Weiss DAC202
Grado PS1000
Naim DAC-V1
Chord Hugo
Stax 009
Stax 007t Kimik
Grado PS500
Mcintosh MHA100
Sennheiser HD800

Damn, nearly £25,000 worth of kit. Need a glass of wine......

Shure EC-2N but now I'm 56 it's a job keeping the ear hair under control so I tried to find some headphones last year.

I tried 3 pairs so far :

AKG K550 Very nice but these didn't fit my head properly so I sold them on pfm.

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B which were just terrible so returned them to the shop.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 80 OHM. I liked these a lot but one channel stopped working after a day or two so I returned them as duff, at which point I bought a pack of Comply T-200 Isolation Earphone Tips for the in ear Shure phones.

Still looking for something suitable

Senn HD-595
Senn HD-380 Pro
AKG-K701 (twice! :D)
AKG-K550
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Senn Momentums
Focal Spirit Professional

At the moment, I've got the Focals and a pair of 701s.

Amps: various pro audio jobbies and sound cards. At the moment I mostly use a Cambridge DacMagic XS and an Arcam rPAC.

Oh, jeez, why did somebody have to resurrect this thread after three years? I have just about managed to curb my addiction to all things headphone-related (I can't even begin to list all my headphones, amps, DACs, etc.).

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the Pink Fish...

Rega Ear driving Sennheiser HD 650's.

Scratched an itch and have been running them for nearly a year. Spend most of my time listening through them now.

Crikey, seven years on :eek:

Well the headphones went, but the itches didn't.

Xel followed by Naos (both former flagship Rega speakers). Both superb, the Xel's literally head and shoulders above the ELa's and the Naos quite stunning driven by a J Sound Lab 8watt SET but latterly being driven by a Mira3 and lastly by an original Elicit.

Full circle and itches scratched. Speakers and amps gone, now using Rega Ear mkII and Sennheiser HD600.

Started off as a teenager with Sony cans and a Pro-Walkman.

Tried a set of Beyerdynamic, AKG, a few sets of Sennheiser including the HD-650 and Momentum. Have now come full circle to the wonderful Sony Z7 which I use with the Sony PHA-3 balanced amp/DAC. I also have the Sony Z5 IEMs which are equally good. I preferred the Momentum to the HD-650 so I've also kept them and use 'em with an X-Can V3.

Still prefer both Sonys overall but the Momentum have a certain appeal.

Used to use the usual Sennheiser buds etc. before getting a pair of Koss Porta Pro, which are still my favourite portable headphone.

Spent years with a STAX setup, which I sold recently as the lack of dynamics compared to, erm, dynamic headphones was a deal-breaker for my music tastes. Classical and acoustic music lovers may well disagree.

Now I use an NVA AP10H headphone amp with a pair of Sony MDR-V6 and Grado RS1s, and the MDR-V6 do not at all show themselves up despite being 1/10 of the price!

Built a CMoy ages ago to drive my HD25s (I've used these for DJ purposes for years and years).

Upgraded the power supply on the CMoy.

Bought some Beyerdynamic T90's - amazing headphones, sold me on the concept as a main listening solution.

Tried some T1's....took the T90's back :)

Bought and built a Bottlehead Crack amp, and that is where I am currently with the T1's.

I have the Speedball kit to fit, and some ideas about re-wiring it and playing with different pots/tubes/caps etc, but for now it just sounds ace and as such is resisting being messed about!

All fed from either my '12 of my ADS1.

Been a bit of a stick in the mud headphone wise mostly Beyers 770s 880s 990s every decade, recently I had a disappointing time with the pre fazor audeze lcd3 so went for some fazor lcd2s which are much better. stuck with them for a few weeks and find them to be to my taste. Fed by preamp outs on the Devialet 200.

Might need need a headphone amp for the bedroom unsure what I want really. I can make something myself I suppose but I would like an all in one everything solution. Perhaps build a thing from a pi and some off the shelf parts...

Not really a big user till recently, but in my apartment in Germany i use Naim DacV1 with Sen 600, brilliant i find

Sennheisser hd800 and Auralic Taurus. Very good. But I have not heard them with the EAR HP4.

I am interested in the Auralic Gemini for bedroom and travel. Has anyone tried one? I like the idea of holding everything on an SD card and just streaming from it of a phone. I am losing patience with my ability to get myself tangled up in DIY projects.

Current headphone setup:
Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheiser HD700

Current portable setup:
Sony NWZ-A847 Walkman > Westone UM3x

Previously owned earphones:
Westone UM1 and Sennheiser CX300II

advertisement

Back