advertisement

Sonos for dummies...

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Can someone please explain what the Sonos components actually do ?
I have a Squeezebox classic, a Western Digital Mybook Live with all my media on it, flacs, oggs, mp3s and wavs.
I am looking to replace my Squeezebox as I don't want to have to switch on my laptop to run the media server.
Is all I need a Sonos play 1 linked into my hi fi or the Sonos connect.
What is the Sonos bridge ?
The web site is'nt helpful and all the ebay people flogging them don't provide a description of what thet actually do.
I'm sure somebody here knows all about Sonos....

Mike. You'll need:

1. Sonos Play (1,3 or 5), or Connect attached to your original HiFi
2. Your music library on a NAS or PC (which will need to be on!) AND/OR a subscription to Spotify/Qobuz...
3. Either a smartphone/pad or a PC to run the Sonos app that you choose what you're listening to,

You no longer need a Bridge, as long as you Sonos component is within range of your router (by wifi or Ethernet)

Ideal setup:

1. Your choice
2. NAS AND/OR Spotify/Quobuz/etc subscription
3. Pad.
4. A thick skin, to protect you from all the Golden Ears who contest that Sono is unlistenable trash (it's not).

I gather the Sonos is limited to 16/44 (if not, someone correct me), so if you have any hi-res, that won't play....

If you want to run a Sonos through your main hifi then you need a Connect.
Plug it into your pre if you want to use the onboard dac or use the digi out and hook up to an external dac.
I connect mine to my router via an ethernet cable or you can do it via wireless, it should work with your Mybook and you can subscribe to Tidal/Spotify or there is a good offer on with Deezer at the mo. The only other thing you need is the free remote app for your phone, tablet or laptop.
oh and Sonos is limited to 16/44

Another option would be to upgrade the MyBook to something that supports Squeezebox server. I went from a WD MyBook Live to a QNAP and it serves both the Squeezebox in the main hifi and two Sonos Play 1s quite happily without the need for switching on a PC.

Thanks guys, I was aware that the Mybook had its limitations but I don't want to upgrade it. So if I want to run it through the hi fi I need a Sonos connect...I wondered if the Play 1 had an optical or digital out I could use like the Squeezebox...but it appears not.

If you want to run a Sonos through your main hifi then you need a Connect.
Plug it into your pre if you want to use the onboard dac or use the digi out and hook up to an external dac.

Yes. Note that the Play 1, 3 and 5 are essentially stand alone speakers/amps. So if you want to use your existing speakers/amps you get the Connect, this acts as the interface between your amps and the internet/your digital files. You could then use one or more of the 1,3,5 in other rooms, if you wished.

The Bridge allows the Connect and the other Sonos components to talk to your router. It often came bundled with the components, even if it didn't it was only about £25. As someone said above, as of last Autumn, I don't think the new kit requires a Bridge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11072032/Sonos-ditches-the-Bridge.html

Been fiddling with a Sonos Connect this week. The interface is terrific. Nothing fiddly. Easy to set-up and it just works (from the laptop, via iPad, Android and iPhone, and using music ripped to my MacMini one story away from the Connect). The Tidal interface via Sonos is better than the Tidal app (which isn't saying much I guess) and infinitely better than the Ickstream/Squeezebox Touch interface. This is really how streaming audio should work.

Having said that--and it pains me to say this--the SQ is a several notches below the Touch when both are fed through my Resolution Audio Opus 21. Certainly fine for casual listening but not nearly as good as the Opus 21. Not sure if a more recent (or different) DAC would yield better performance or not. I suspect I'll probably return the Connect.

Try using the analogue outputs of the Sonos, some of the DAC's I have used with the connect either had no effect or even made it sound worse.

I gather the Sonos is limited to 16/44 (if not, someone correct me), so if you have any hi-res, that won't play....

I think they will play but will be down sampled... But I'm not certain on that.

Any streamer will need either a file server of some kind to be running on your network (PC or NAS), or a subscription service such as spotify, qobuz or tidal.

A cheap, silent, low energy computer running the squeezebox software might be your best bet. Dedicated NAS drives seem a bit pricey to me so I have been using a repurposed mini PC running wonky media for the last 6-7 years to run my linn DS... It's in the cupboard under the stairs, out of sight and mind. Works a treat!

advertisement

Back