advertisement

Hegel amps.

Any one have any experience of the Hegel range of amps. ?
In particular the new H160.
Thanks.

IMO waste of time asking anyone else re SQ including magazine reviews you have to listen for yourself with your speakers in you listening room for complete authenticity or accuracy.

There was a wigwam bakeoff recently and I think someone took a H160 along. Seem to remember reading positive comments. If you search the bake off room on the wam you should find it.

There was a wigwam bakeoff recently and I think someone took a H160 along. Seem to remember reading positive comments. If you search the bake off room on the wam you should find it.[/QUOT

Thanks very much for the info. James . I am ALLWAYS interested in hearing other peoples views.

Any one have any experience of the Hegel range of amps. ?
In particular the new H160.
Thanks.

I know I'm a Hegel dealer but, the H160 really is the 'The Bee's Knees' if downsizing from multiple boxes or needing an integrated/DAC. One customer is in the process of replacing all his Naim, and also commented it was better than the Devialet 120 from his memory, I'd admit.

Always best to trial in your system. Growing fan base..!

Peter

Hi Rick, from the post linked to:

"Banter ! Social! Bonding errrrr ( just on occasion!). Fab pics esp of the terrific amp now properly named ( my error) HEGEL . I' m no expert on high end amps technology but I know what I like and I've heard a lot and it was the best I've heard in every respect dynamics thro the range and lovely decays so good it sounded 'natural' . Norwegian?Swedish? The only one to compare was TAD( pioneer offshoot) at Cranage and that was an inconceivable££££££."

Slightly hard to decipher but you get the gist...

Hi James

Thanks :) I can see Hegel now in yellow even though their colour is orange :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I was at the Wam bakeoff where the Hegel was introduced. It is a very good integrated indeed. It was felt that the Hegel lost out in the bass region to my Nakamichi combination but the latter would be very expensive indeed if made today; in fact Nelson Pass, who designed the Nakamichi, now sells a similar specification pre-power for £30k!

If I were in the market for a new integrated in the price range they would probably be first on my list to listen to.

Oldius - Thanks very much for the info. My ears will be the ones that choose what I will buy eventually but comments and opinions of other like minded souls are always of value.

Don't suppose you will be selling your Nakamichi combo any time soon then !

I use a Hegel H70 with Spendor SP1/2e speakers, which are biggish stand mounters, quite easy to drive.

The Hegel replaced a Meridian pre/power combo, which I found gave a thin sound with the Spendors. The Hegel has (IMHO) a more substantial bass, so it's done what I hoped it would do. The 70W seems more than adequate to keep the Spendors on song.

I was also drawn to the simplicity of the Hegel amp; it doesn't have unnecessary extras like a tape loop or double speaker terminals for biwring.

My only criticism involves the optical digital input, which is connected to my TV. When I'm using my BluRay player (connected to the TV by HDMI), the digital signal to the Hegel switches on and off a few times when you start playing a disc, and this causes a relay in the Hegel to click each time. This isn't very elegant, but it's not a big deal, and I guess the problem lies as much in the TV/BluRay units as it does in the Hegel.

I have the H160 and cannot recommend it too highly. I am really enjoying its looks, its versatility and particlarly its sound quality. It replaced a load of boxes and is now capably driving Shahinian Obelisks. FWIW I would rate it as one of the best value-for-money hifi purchases I have ever made.
Phillip

I have the H160 and cannot recommend it too highly. I am really enjoying its looks, its versatility and particlarly its sound quality. It replaced a load of boxes and is now capably driving Shahinian Obelisks. FWIW I would rate it as one of the best value-for-money hifi purchases I have ever made.
Phillip[/QUOT

Thanks Philip, that's a very positive recommendation.
I've heard that the lovely Obelisks are not a particularly easy amplifier load, so knowing that H160 is driving your Obs. well is useful info.
Think I may have to arrange a home demo of the Hegel.

Thanks very much for the link Rick - interesting video.
I think I will be contacting you shortly !
Cheers.
Jon.

Maximise the onboard DAC potential and start to understand/pay attention to room correction (DSP), and then you'll make real world gains with this amplifier.

Peter

Thanks very much for the link Rick - interesting video.
I think I will be contacting you shortly !
Cheers.
Jon.

Hi Jon

Your welcome :)

Funnily enough shortly before your post I just finished demoing a H160. Client loved the H160 and also bought Monitor Audio's Gold 300's :cool:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

advertisement

Back