advertisement

Death Metal fans(?)

Yomanze

pfm Member
I never hung out with metallers, instead I got to enjoy raised eyebrows and "turn that off!" amongst friends and family through the years. Going to gigs solo, meeting some gig buddies along the way, but still, death metal still has a place in my heart for pushing the boundaries of technicality, but still holding a mean tune or a crushing groove - this stuff *is* music.

I also listen to much more minimal stuff - rather than warp-speed riffs and taking a constant aural beating - such as 70s and 80s dub music, hip hop and electronica, which I still listen to, but more and more I have been coming back to some incredible releases, including:

Death - Symbolic
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Cynic - Focus
Carcass - Heartwork
Entombed - Clandestine

So, death metallers, I'd love to hear about your favourites, I know you're here, hiding it from others or sitting there with a band shirt & beard.

Used to enjoy a bit of Nile, Animals As Leaders, Beneath The Massacre etc etc... Dont really listen to it anymore though so have no idea of current bands.

More of a Debussy man these days :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the current bands either, sure it'll be recycled riffs from the 90s and early 00s stuff, but the classics are drawing me back. Ah yes Nile, very very brutal (I enjoyed the melodic stuff more) and technical band, will give them a listen again. Yeah the tastes do soften through the years, I rarely listen to metal these days, but do come back from time to time. :D

Used to enjoy a bit of Nile, Animals As Leaders, Beneath The Massacre etc etc... Dont really listen to it anymore though so have no idea of current bands.

More of a Debussy man these days :D

Sounds more like prog to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my favourites:

Enemy At The Gates, Konkhra, Arch Enemy (older stuff), The Haunted, The Red Chord & Face Down.

Cryptopsy are along the same lines as Nile, Between The Buried And Me have their feet in all kinds of camps, so would tie in with the earlier recommendation of Animals As Leaders.

I'm more of a 'heavy metal' guy, but do like a dabble in the death side of things too.

Check out:

Gorguts - Obscura
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Those are great and two of the most unique albums in the genre.

Yes always a big fan of Atheist, but I didn't properly listen to Gorguts, so now I will do. Cheers. :)

I've been listening to Obituary again and the first few Morbid Angel records.

I somehow managed to miss Death after Leprosy have been enjoying catching up recently.

Autopsy - Mental Funeral is excellent (no idea what they're current stuff sounds like - I saw they're back together)

And perhaps more a precursor to grindcore but the Repulsion LP still sounds amazing to me - despite being 29 years old!

Fan of the stuff at the melodic end of the spectrum.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Meshuggah - Catch Thirty Three

Discovered Gojira a few years ago - great discography.

I've been listening to Obituary again and the first few Morbid Angel records.

I somehow managed to miss Death after Leprosy have been enjoying catching up recently.

Autopsy - Mental Funeral is excellent (no idea what they're current stuff sounds like - I saw they're back together)

And perhaps more a precursor to grindcore but the Repulsion LP still sounds amazing to me - despite being 29 years old!

Obituary, yeah! Another band I haven't listen to for years, but "Slowly We Rot" is absolutely crushing. I do like the mid-paced stuff like this. Will have a listen tonight. :)

I don't know if it's death metal as such but death and torture is often it's subject. John Zorn's band Naked City. Albums: Leng TCh'e and Torture Garden are good starters - the latter being brutally short, fast and furious, the former being akin to a slow and agonising death. His other project is Painkiller with the albums Guts Of A Virgin or Buried Secrets. Some of this stuff is fast, some slow, but all intense.

220px-Torture_Garden_%28album%29.jpg

220px-Leng_Tch%27e_%28album%29.JPG

220px-Guts_of_a_Virgin.jpg

My Dying Bride anyone?

Not sure if they are strictly Death Metal or some other sub-genre of metal...

Yeah huge fan of My Dying Bride (as well as Paradise Lost and Anathema), my favourite is The Angel and the Dark River.

They're a doom metal band that indeed does a lot of doom/death stuff. "Turn Loose The Swans" is very doom/death, but other stuff is more experimental doom stuff. :)

Nowadays DM is not just recycling the old stuff although there are countless bands doing that too. Death Metal has gone through a revival with numerous old bands getting up from the grave, gigging and doing new stuff.

Here in Finland we have a rather huge (for a country this small) DM scene currently. There's even a special old-school finnish DM festival next autumn called Finnish Death Metal Maniacs Festival (http://www.fdmmfest.com/) with loads of new and old finnish DM bands.

If not familiar with these yet I suggest a virtual trip to your dearest death dealer's website and pick up the latest Stargazer and Dead Congregation albums (why not all of them while you're at it, it's worth it).

Turn Loose the Swans is my favourite MDB hands down. TAatDR comes close second. After that I can't enjoy it too much. The old demos and EPs are great too!

advertisement

Back