advertisement

KEF Speakers?

strummer

pfm Member
I always thought of KEF as Richer Sounds Chipboard tat. I never see them mentioned on here.

Then I read American sites & they seem to rave about them. Also I see Devialet have 12 KEF speakers on their "SAM ready" list.

So are KEFs any good?

KEF are very good. A truly innovative and R & D lead company. Indeed they don't get the attention they deserve here on pfm.

Kef reference 104/2
Superb

OK. Interesting. The reason I ask is I'm after a pair of Stand mounts & noticed the Reference 201/2.

Admittedly, the reason I was drawn to them is they appear to be a rip-off of my dream speaker...

kef_2012_angled.jpg

Technical%20Brain,%20Lloyd%20Walker.JPG

but then I started reading reviews & saw some big claims being made.

Kef reference 104/2
Superb

I had a pair of the REF 104 when they first came out (later AB'd them) as I had heard the smaller REF 103 at the BBC where my baby bro' was a sound engineer at the time. My bro' later got his hands on the Rogers LS3/5A at a good BBC discount and they are still in use in his house today!

I still have fond memories and often wonder if I made the correct move when I replaced the 104s by the Linn Sara's.

Cheers,

DV

I always think of Kef being similar to ProAc or Celef in their approach to speakers and although I don't like them the LS50's have some excellent reviews.

Isn't that Walker in the photo who makes a ridiculously expensive TT?

so you didn't think much of my Kef 105 mk1's;)

Superb but I never owned one - too big for my room. Ditto Briks.

"At the 1980 Edinburgh Festival, for a performance of Berlioz’ Te Deum, thirtysix Model 105.2s were located in the Usher Hall to reproduce the sound of the organ of St. Mary’s Cathedral some one mile away. The sound was relayed by an FM radio link set up by the BBC - a video link also being used to allow organist Gillian Wier to follow the conducting of Claudio Abbado – who judged the event to be resounding success."

I have a picture in my mind that I haven't yet located in t'web but remember seeing each speaker with a Quad 405.........

This not the one I was looking for that actually showed the speakers with the amps but its better than nothing https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=2715e660b6d09a30774fc8e7dec90090&oe=55BB3727

Cheers,

DV

They seem to have fallen from favour since those days.

Interesting!

Any reason?

No idea really.... it seems to be just one of those pfm things! Musical Fidelity and B & W also seem to get little attention even though they are also BIG (by UK hifi standards) companies who get rave reviews elsewhere..... whereas virtually unheard of Royd gets mentioned quite a lot... I dunno :confused:

Happy KEF Reference 105.3 user here ;)

OK. Interesting. The reason I ask is I'm after a pair of Stand mounts & noticed the Reference 201/2.

Admittedly, the reason I was drawn to them is they appear to be a rip-off of my dream speaker...

kef_2012_angled.jpg

Technical%20Brain,%20Lloyd%20Walker.JPG

but then I started reading reviews & saw some big claims being made.

I think you'll find it's the other way round, the dual concentric drive units in the TAD were developed by Andrew Jones who had previously worked at KEF on their uniQ drivers. Also the basic styling cues of the KEFs have been around since late 2001 when the Q1,3,5 etc were introduced.

Oh and for the record, KEF have made some fabulous speakers, they are and always have been a very innovative company, indeed many other manufacturers, linn included have turned to KEF for drive units.

I owned Kef 107/2's during the 1990's and they sounded superb, powered by 500 watts/channel of Sony Esprit (900 series) bi-amplification. They gave the best sounds I've had in my room until the current (active) speakers, which even so don't do some things as well as the Kef's did.

Their current cheap range sounds terrible to me, very much in the ' make a sale in thirty seconds mould' - iffy bass, brash treble etc. The ones up the range are much better, but still not a patch on the old Reference series.

No idea really.... it seems to be just one of those pfm things! Musical Fidelity and B & W also seem to get little attention even though they are also BIG (by UK hifi standards)

i've never considered MF because of reliability concerns i've read over the years. maybe just chatter?

love my LS50's.

No idea really.... it seems to be just one of those pfm things! Musical Fidelity and B & W also seem to get little attention even though they are also BIG (by UK hifi standards) companies who get rave reviews elsewhere..... whereas virtually unheard of Royd gets mentioned quite a lot... I dunno :confused:

Happy KEF Reference 105.3 user here ;)

I think you'll find it's the other way round, the dual concentric drive units in the TAD were developed by Andrew Jones who had previously worked at KEF on their uniQ drivers. Also the basic styling cues of the KEFs have been around since late 2001 when the Q1,3,5 etc were introduced.

Oh and for the record, KEF have made some fabulous speakers, they are and always have been a very innovative company, indeed many other manufacturers, linn included have turned to KEF for drive units.

Interesting, thanks!

I always thought of KEF as Richer Sounds Chipboard tat. I never see them mentioned on here.

Then I read American sites & they seem to rave about them. Also I see Devialet have 12 KEF speakers on their "SAM ready" list.

So are KEFs any good?

A better question is 'which KEFs are good'

In my opinion, the smaller KEFs can be pretty ordinary (although chipboard tat they are not - where did you get that idea ?)

The LS50 are 'marmite' speakers (love or hate)

The large KEFs (I have Reference 3~2) are very good and will stand comparison with any high end speaker.

advertisement

Back