advertisement

M-badged RB250?

Not absolutely certain but I think it could be Moth (marketing), we have been supplying them with arms for over twenty years.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Mind you it could be Michel (engineering) as again we have supplied arms to them for years, but I believe that they tend to "modify" their arms so perhaps these are easier to place.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Thanks Paul. Then it's very likely a Moth arm as there's no other mods than what was done by J7 at Audio Origami (rewire and brass couterweight with endstub).
Bought this arm 2nd hand but never asked the seller what that M stood for.

Moth RB-250's used a green Moth logo:

390373-moth_rega_rb250_tonearm_free_shipping.jpg

Michell ones used a Michell name plate:

448816-rega_planar_2__michell_rb250_tonearm_rb350_stainless_steel_base__ortofon_cartridge.jpg

Though I can't find a photo to prove it, I am 99.9% certain the M-badged versions were supplied to Manticore.

Unless someone has more recent info, Doug Hewitt's last known company name was Manticore Audio Visual (rebranded from Manticore Systems Engineering) so that may well be the logo, as it somewhat resembles a line drawing of a video camera in profile view.

I can definitively state that the M badging denotes Manticore - I have one too that was removed from a fully loaded Mantra Turntable.

I also have a Manticore Mantra with it's original RB250 arm - supplied new c1988-1990 as a turntable/arm package. It has the M logo pictured above.

advertisement

Back