advertisement

Nikon help needed

Rack Kit

pfm Member
A mate has asked about the best Nikon for doing product shots varying from small to around A2 size items. He has a budget of around £700 and would prefer new. I told him to go after something well looked after but used but his missus ain't wearing it.

I couldn't advise him being a Canon shooter so don't have a clue about Nikon's products.

Any ideas people?

Cheers,

Rack.

I would imagine something like the D3300 with a kit lens and a 40mm f2.8g should be easily achievable within budget and should cover everything he needs, but then I'm not an expert, just a keen amateur so I might be talking b****ks :D.

I would also have gone used on that budget because you could get some really nice kit but each to their own.

Personally I would get the D7100, the reason being that it is backwards compatible with older manual focus lenses, and can be had for £735 body only at wex photograhpic. The smaller consumer models tend to work only with G/S models (with the AF motor in the lens) and those lenses are more expensive.

I'd pair the D7100 with the 60mm Micro Nikkor D (rather than G) to save some money.

My old D7100 is up for sale at apertureuk.com and I'd had less than 1000 shots out of it so it is a bargain!

A2, assuming 300dpi print resolution, is approximately 35MP, assuming no cropping, and assuming a fairly standard print resolution

So you might bear that in mind. Standard APS-C dSLRs might not cut it if that resolution is really important.

A2, assuming 300dpi print resolution, is approximately 35MP, assuming no cropping, and assuming a fairly standard print resolution

So you might bear that in mind. Standard APS-C dSLRs might not cut it if that resolution is really important.

Not producing prints up to A2 but web images of A2 sized artwork for his website. So needs a lens/camera combination that can cover this. Wondering if the kit 18-55mm on the cheaper SLR will do this.

Not producing prints up to A2 but web images of A2 sized artwork for his website. So needs a lens/camera combination that can cover this. Wondering if the kit 18-55mm on the cheaper SLR will do this.

what you would want to photograph A2 art work is a lens that can focus reasonably closely when mounted on a tripod and not have too much distortion, hence the recommendation for the Micro Nikkor. The kit lens would have far more distortion and wouldn't focus close enough for the smaller objects.

The 18-55mm is not very good for product photography, it's OK for outside, but I wouldn't use it for products, I have a D7100 and the kit lens, I never use the kit lens.

I have an old 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, which can be bought used for about a hundred clams. Stick that on a Nikon with aperture coupling and an APS sensor and you have a combo that will given you tonnes of real resolution.

Gloves are recommended if you handle the pix because they'll be so sharp you're bound to cut yourself.

Joe

Personally I would get the D7100, the reason being that it is backwards compatible with older manual focus lenses, and can be had for £735 body only at wex photograhpic. The smaller consumer models tend to work only with G/S models (with the AF motor in the lens) and those lenses are more expensive.

I'd pair the D7100 with the 60mm Micro Nikkor D (rather than G) to save some money.

My old D7100 is up for sale at apertureuk.com and I'd had less than 1000 shots out of it so it is a bargain!

I'd have also suggested the D7100 for the same reasons as you have, just the budget that stopped me as the guys wife wants brand new :(

The omission of an AF motor on the 3/5000 series cameras is a let down IMO. If they were to reintroduce it in the next 5000 series body it would be a start.

The D200/300 are used buys IMO. Got a barely used boxed D200 recently on here in mint condition for £100 which is a crazy bargain.

Something like that with the rest spent on lenses and lighting would be perfect.

Madness going for new with an offer like that. I have a D7000 that I bought with a fairly low shutter count, was like new, with all the bits and bobs still wrapped and boxed. It remains completely reliable 3 years down the line.

Madness going for new with an offer like that. I have a D7000 that I bought with a fairly low shutter count, was like new, with all the bits and bobs still wrapped and boxed. It remains completely reliable 3 years down the line.

I advised him go used as he'd get far more for his money but his missus won't entertain the idea.

I'll mention the Nikon D7000 & a decent lens to him tho & let him see if he can change her mind tho.

advertisement

Back