advertisement

Which DIY balanced pre-amp to build and why?

sam_cat

C'est Crounchifique!
Looking for something new to get my teeth into and have a play with, so thinking of building a balanced pre-amp..

Whats our there?
What have people tried/built and what did you think?

Tempted to try getting a pair of B4's running together in one box to give me balanced but no idea if it will work!

Thanks,
Sam

Get hold of Brunos preamplifier board. It cheap to build and very good. Was free with linear audio magazine.

Get hold of Brunos preamplifier board. It cheap to build and very good. Was free with linear audio magazine.

Has anyone actually built one of those?

Anyway, the Nelson Pass Aleph P 1.7 is another balanced option. There are several sources of clone boards in group buys at www.diyaudio.com .

Aren't you already going directly from MDAC -> NCore? I'm not sure why you'd want a preamp in the way!

Just something to play with/build.
Upstairs system (in the study/computer room) is being experimented on, currently MDac -> LM4780 (fully balanced), just looking to experiment.

I've built the UGS preamp (see the Pass section at DIYaudio). It has a lot of line level inputs and volume control. The volume control is a fixed resistor ladder arrangement controlled by an Atmel 64 chip. It works very well.

However, I prefer the balanced output from my dac straight into the power amp. This is OK for digital. For vinyl, I'm waiting to see what happens here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-integrated-preamp-crossover-dac-project.html

advertisement

Back