advertisement

Recommend me a CD Transport

magentawhale

can't carry a tuna
I am looking for a dedicated CD transport, up to about 600 GBP. It is going to be used with a Sonneteer Dryden DAC. Any recommendations (both new and secondhand) are most welcome.

I am looking for a dedicated CD transport, up to about 600 GBP. It is going to be used with a Sonneteer Dryden DAC. Any recommendations (both new and secondhand) are most welcome.

What are you using at the moment? I ask as the LG Bluray player I have is so good that I use that nowadays when I want to spin a cd. It does output 16/44.1 though unlike some machines.

Thanks. I am currently using Sonneteer's Byron CD player. This will most probaly be used in the second system when I have found a CD transport to use with the Dryden in the main system.

Thanks. I am currently using Sonneteer's Byron CD player. This will most probaly be used in the second system when I have found a CD transport to use with the Dryden in the main system.
Isn't the Dryden the dac section from the Byron?

I could sell you my Musical Fidelity M1CDT if you like, £380 - boxed with remote. Was £599 brand new!! Owned by me from new.

Isn't the Dryden the dac section from the Byron?

Yes, that is what I understand from the scarce to be found info on the Dryden as well. However, while comparing both the Byron's internal DAC and the Dryden, the latter one seemed to sound more ambient. The difference could be due to differing interlinks, so I will try switching these to see if the effect is still present.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
An old Pioneer stable platter model would make a good cheap transport esp if you have a better master clock fitted.

Audiolab 8000CDM wiped the floor with anything I compared it to.

However, it does use the CDM9 Pro, so caution on the mech is advised.

Audiolab 8000CDM wiped the floor with anything I compared it to.

However, it does use the CDM9 Pro, so caution on the mech is advised.

I have a reconditioned 'F' reg CDM and the matching DAX up for grabs if anyone is interested...along with an apogee AES/EBU 0.5m interconnect :)

I have two rather rare but exceptional transport suggestions.

1 an audiomeca - there are a few get the best you can - there's an Obsession on E bay just now, well within budget
2 a shigaraki clone - very hard to find but the best transport I have ever heard. I sold my top of the range CEC TLOX when I found one, really!

Cyrus cd8x.
The digital O/p of this player was paid particlar attention to by Cyrus as many would use it as a transport for new Dac , which would be a path upgrade for it. They did not have an actual standalone transport at that time. I was told this by Cyrus. I was looking for a transport for my new Benchmark DAC 1 10 yrs ago or so. But one that was a really good cd player in its own right.
Still own a DAC1 and CD8x. Both still top performers - in my opinion.

I should add that electrically the digital OP is good. The racket and nature of disc tray loading operation does not inspire much confidence though. Not for a £1000 machine.
But its a very good player despite this minor quibble. Still servicable too I believe.

Thanks to all, some very nice options mentioned already. I'll search around for some of the recommended models.

advertisement

Back