advertisement

Best in ear headphones around £100

Bigbobby666

pfm Member
It's my birthday shortly and I'm off to the mountains in late January. I was coinciding asking for some in ear headphones. I've looked at the Shure 215's and West stone UM10's. Which are better and are there any others worth coinciding?

Cheers
Bob

Forgive me for not suggesting in-ears, but I've been using AKG 451's daily for the last 18months, and pound for pound I don't think anything comes even close.

Closed back design holds virtually all the sound in if leakage is one of your concerns?

Best bit is, Richer Sounds knock them out for well under £50. It's one of the best musical bargains IMO.
Several of my friends have been turned on to them just by demoing mine for one track. Thouroughly recommend them.

A bit over budget but Klipsch x11i are down to £123 on amazon at the moment.

The sound great and are very comfortable, the only concern is some people find they are not so durable. I havent had mine long enough to comment on that but I had X10 before and mine were fine, Until I left them on a plane :-(

cheers

Chris

I have klipsch x10i and have found them superb and far more comfortable than other in ears I've tried particularly my previous etymotics which were both painful and hard to get a good seal. Also their profile makes them work well inside a helmet.

Forgive me for not suggesting in-ears, but I've been using AKG 451's daily for the last 18months, and pound for pound I don't think anything comes even close.

Closed back design holds virtually all the sound in if leakage is one of your concerns?

Best bit is, Richer Sounds knock them out for well under £50. It's one of the best musical bargains IMO.
Several of my friends have been turned on to them just by demoing mine for one track. Thouroughly recommend them.

I have a pair of these. I want in ear specifically as I will have a helmet on my head too!

Etymotic HF5.

+1.

If your budget changes, consider the IE800. I've had them for a month or so now, they are so good it's almost wrong .

Good luck with the hunt.

You should be able to get a cracking pair for <£100 with the advice here.

If you will be wearing a helmet then I'd suggest a custom fit to eliminate leakage.

If riding a motorbike(?) then for will be more important than outright sound quality.

These are lesser known but I heard about them on the DAR blog, whose opinion I respect. At this price, you aren't charged VAT or import handling fees, and having bought a pair believe me, they beat all the sub-£100 in ears I have owned. My transaction with this Chinese site was as seamless as dealing with amazon, they arrived in under two weeks, and I have researched fakes vs genuine and these are (almost) definitely the latter.

Your choice but a genuine recommendation from me, they're under £20 for a £100+ performer.

http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original-xiaomi-piston-earphone-updated-version-brown-5708.html

Hmm... So now torn between the HiFiMan and Westones...

Looking at their frequency response the HifiMan look the better headphone to me:

Hifiman freq response:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANIE400.pdf

Westone freq response:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Wes … X%20RC.pdf

Also 98ohms seems quite high for an in ear I'll be driving with a mobile phone. But I guess when it's so far in your ear it will be bloody loud.

Can anyone else draw any information from those graphs. What do the square waves indicate?

Count me as a happy Klipsch user. I think I paid £15 for my pair of X10i and they're still going strong after four or is it five years. I'd buy a couple more sets at that price if I could find them. Previously had Shure IEMs which sounded good but were uncomfortable.

I have a pair of these. I want in ear specifically as I will have a helmet on my head too!
Daft question, but is this not illegal? I'm not judging, just curious. I'd imagine noise-isolating in-ears would severely reduce your ability to hear other things. Though that might not apply on a bike anyway. I assume we're talking motorbike and not pushbike though?

advertisement

Back