advertisement

speakers that you miss

Epos ES11: good synergy with Audiolab 8000A. A likeable set up for the 90's. LP12 front end.

I've owned Linn Isobarik's for over 30 years but had Quad ESL 57's prior to them.
The treble and midrange are sublime but very room dependent.
I'm glad I made the change but sometimes I wish I had them for a day. The nail in the coffin when I moved from the Quad 33 / 303 to the Meridian 101 / 103 D bad move damaged my ESL's. I was advised badly by a hi fi dealer.

Regards,

Martin

I have owned exactly three pairs of shop-bought loudspeakers in the three and a half decades I've been donkey deep in hifi. I don't miss any of them.

1981 - 1987: Acoustic Research AR94, somewhat muddy-sounding but great bass until the foam surrounds disintegrated.

1987 - 2000: Linn Nexus, mellifluous but duller than tepid dishwater.

2000 - 2004: Sonus Faber Concerto, fabulous aesthetic and midrange, but unrefined top-end and farty bottom-end.

Bose 901 mk11. I still have these in the loft. What I miss is that when I bought them new in 1975 and used them with a monster JVC Quadraphonic amp, they were the best party speakers ever. I used to have loads of parties back then. At the time I was not interested in 'hifi' and more swayed by pointless marketing bumf such as they could handle 270 watts RMS per channel. Perhaps innocence was more fun back in the day.

Yes, I heard some at a show I tagged along to with my older brother playing organ music and they sounded very impressive. However the direct/reflecting principle made no sense to me then as it doesn't today. I can't remember what the treble was like but my ears were young and the best side of hundreds of gigs and clubs.

Some speakers I miss but never owned were the Rhedekos. On the end of a DNM system of course.

I have owned exactly three pairs of shop-bought loudspeakers in the three and a half decades I've been donkey deep in hifi. I don't miss any of them.

1981 - 1987: Acoustic Research AR94, somewhat muddy-sounding but great bass until the foam surrounds disintegrated.

1987 - 2000: Linn Nexus, mellifluous but duller than tepid dishwater.

2000 - 2004: Sonus Faber Concerto, fabulous aesthetic and midrange, but unrefined top-end and farty bottom-end.

Actually, I've only parted with two pairs of speakers over the same period:

1978-89: Goodmans RB35. Always too big and boomy for any room they were in. Finally gave them away when a bass driver failed.

1992-2005: Castle Chesters. A bit too soft-sounding in my heavily-furnished room; nothing seemed to wake them up. Probably fine in a different room.

Some speakers I miss but never owned were the Rhedekos. On the end of a DNM system of course.

Yeeouch! The Rehdekos I've heard all sounded like the HF was +10dB up from the mids, and nothing below 100Hz. Astoundingly bright and aggressively painful speakers.

Mirage M3si given a new home for a year - now back from holiday. Could be up for sale as wife likes her front room with out them.

JBL L40. Huge crisp bass (great for all that Prog), and a sweet treble. Midrange wasn't what it might have been, but that could have been due to the rather pokey student room I had.

fronts.jpg

Bose 901 mk11. I still have these in the loft. What I miss is that when I bought them new in 1975 and used them with a monster JVC Quadraphonic amp, they were the best party speakers ever. I used to have loads of parties back then. At the time I was not interested in 'hifi' and more swayed by pointless marketing bumf such as they could handle 270 watts RMS per channel. Perhaps innocence was more fun back in the day.

They certainly rock! I've never known anything to compete with 901's if decibels, bass punch and sheer pin you to the wall ness is combined with their relatively small size... A pair of these in a normal UK sized living room can be scary with a big enough amp! Not subtle though..

Only ones which I'd really like to try again are...

British Loudspeakers (BLQ) Q1
Monitor Audio R352

Got a pair of ma352 md tweeter on cliff stone foundations bought in 1987, running off a t amp in an old cottage with 4ft thick walls and low ceilings...they sound fantastic.

Oh and a very nice pair of Royd Merlins which are fabulous in new extension :)

advertisement

Back