advertisement

Teddy Pardo i80a Owners Thread

What I tried to demonstrate is that even with small speakers made by a non-expert speaker builder, the system sounds very good. Now imagine how it will sound with speakers made by professionals./QUOTE]
Just a thought, in hindsight, if you had just paired them with a known budget speaker and the sound was exceptional then the response might have been "wow I've never heard these speakers sounding so good! Whats driving them?"
IMO it wasn't clear that the speakers you had there weren't really on show too. Instead one might easily have thought you were now reaching into the speaker domain and had specifically designed the speakers to show your gear in the best possible light.

I think Teddy is right on this one, IMHO.

Everyone, including a well respected musician and record producer, has marveled at the music emanating from my Naim IBLs and asked what the speakers are and how much a pair might cost.....

even my made in China mission mx5 sounds gr8 running tdac-tpre-mb100

the missions cost me about 450GBP here in Singapore :) didnt expect them to be so transparent and accurate hahaha

Thought about upgrading speakers initially but nahhhh after almost 2 weeks running in the teddy system..

With the TP Pre/MB100 in full use flaws in my system are alot more obvious then before. Also the flaws in my speakers. I need something better but not for crazy prices. Even with well braced enclosures and top tweeters etc... they don't need to cost a fortune. So any chance of pointing us out in the direction a good DIY design? There are so many on the net. Alot of them are based in Germany so it seems.

I think I have read that Teddy used SBL's as one of the speakers for voicing some of his products. I am sure Teddy will correct me and maybe will let us know what else may have been used. I personally love the look of all of the range it is a great mix of simple design looks with a diy nod. I think this is why I love the look of c.b. kit too.
So maybe a pair of SBL's might be the thing. What are you using now?

I've just got a pair of SBLs to try in place of my IBLs. Both these speakers work very well with my Teddy amps. I do use the IBLs with a 10" BK sub as well.

I think Teddy is right on this one, IMHO.

Everyone, including a well respected musician and record producer, has marveled at the music emanating from my Naim IBLs and asked what the speakers are and how much a pair might cost.....

Tell them that IBL's can be had for a few hundred pounds and let them discover how they sound :) .. they may come back to ask how you managed to get them to sound so good. Are your IBL's active or passive?

I wonder how IBL's would sound with PR1 > TSC>SNAXO> 4xMB100s :)

Could Teddy squeeze a down powered stereo amp into a PR1 case and create New "Nait 2" equivalent for much less than the i80a ?

A TP entry amp maybe?

Tell them that IBL's can be had for a few hundred pounds and let them discover how they sound :) .. they may come back to ask how you managed to get them to sound so good. Are your IBL's active or passive?

I wonder how IBL's would sound with PR1 > TSC>SNAXO> 4xMB100s :)

They are passive with 2 x MB100's. I used to have them active with 2 x 250's. I prefer the way they sound now though.

Yes a Teddy 4 pack would be something special I'm sure...:)

They are passive with 2 x MB100's. I used to have them active with 2 x 250's. I prefer the way they sound now though.

Yes a Teddy 4 pack would be something special I'm sure...:)

I have a std NAC102 into 2x Std CB HiCaps into SNAXO into 2x std CB 250's into Les' RMS Rev 2 speakers (active at the moment)

I'm thinking of going PR1-2xMB100 .. passive sounds like I would like that from what you've experienced Bob.

I still ahve Naim IBL's but don't plan to sell them unless your friend wants a pair at some inflated price ;)

I originally intended on buying an i80a but plumped instead for the pre/ monoblock combo to power my Kans and the TP Pre1 arrived today (the monoblocks are still in transit) and boy, what a preamp! The Pre1 is hooked up to my Nait XS via it's AV Bypass input and it sounds bloody good :)

I've only listened to a couple of albums so far (Aja by Steely Dan on vinyl and Computer World by Kraftwerk on CD) and both sound superb. My Nait XS seems like it's just discovered it had more power on tap that thought as it seems better all round and able to drive the Kans much much better. I don't know how much this makes sense, but as it is, the Pre1 is a definite improvement of the Nait XS' preamp.

Oh I can't wait for the monos to arrive ;)

Mine's running into an XS as well. I had a 72 with Avondale 821 boards before. Cliches abound: the Teddy just sparkles. Clearer, sharper, deeper. A definite sense of quiet between everything. A quantum leap over anything I've heard before. But I've said this before on here. I'm in danger of becoming a Teddy bore but I can't urge others enough to look at it's price and get a listen or a test. Punching well above it's weight. And I don't care what it looks like although I quite like it. Plain and simple.

Mine's running into an XS as well.

Snap! ;)

I feel the same Ginger and also feel it's money well spent! Even though I've only had it for a few hours, I can see why some think it would compare favourably to some very expensive Naim boxes.

p.s. I use the AV Bypass input because doing so bypasses the XS' own preamp giving it direct access to the poweramp. All you need to do is slide the switch at the rear towards the XS' speaker connections. Remember to turn the Pre1 volume way down beforehand (as well as powering off the XS!) because the XS' volume control will be bypassed and if the Pre1 volume is up high, the volume will be high! If you connect to any other input, you'll be hearing a mixture of both preamps.

I took the link plug out and went direct into the power amp section, so I don't think it is going through the pre. Unless I'm being a bit stupid. Which, in fairness, is entirely possible...

Aha, in that case, all is good. :) If I had an rca-4 pin din cable I'd do the same, but as I don't, AV Bypass it is.

As to SBLs. Unfortunately my back "wall" consists of a closet as wide and high as the actual wall. Can't put speakers against it, so this means no SBLs for me.

I ended up with the NAIM XS2 (70wpc) AND upgraded to the Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers. The XS2 can drive them just fine in regards to volume. My source is the weakest link: a Meridian Direct DAC.

I guess I am wondering what to do next...

1) Invest the most into a new DAC. Contenders include the Arcam irDAC, Schiit Gungnir, TEAC UD-501, Redga DAC-R, TeddyDAC, NAIM V1, and Chord Hugo. But if I go north of $1K I won't be able to invest in much else.

2) Add a TeddyCap to the XS2?

3) Add a PR1 to the XS2?

4) Upgrade to the SuperNait2

In my opinion got for option 1 (Chord Hugo or TeddyDAC) followed by option 3 Instead of buying a PSU for your Naim stuff, invest directly to a TeddyPre.

Does the TeddyDAC have a decent reputation? I mean, no one seems to talk about it. As for the Hugo...no one talks about anything else!

Personaly I own a TeddyDAC and I'm very happy how it sounds - connected my SBT/Teddy PSU by async USB to TeddyDAC.

Never heard a Chord Hugo but I don't like the plastic look of it and as I'm replaced my Naim components by Teddy Pre 1 his DAC matchs mutch better.

Somewhere there was a review on a Forum of a user and he stated, that the Hugo sounds a little bit better than the TeddyDac but not by much - can't remember the source.

Does the TeddyDAC have a decent reputation? I mean, no one seems to talk about it. As for the Hugo...no one talks about anything else!

The teddy dac is a very good product indeed. I've not heard the async USB version though. However the Hugo IMO wipes the floor with any dac that I've heard in terms of resolution; its not a subtle difference it lifts several layers and confirmed to me that i didn't have to upgrade my downstream components. Still I just didn't find the presentation as engaging or rhythmic as either the Teddy DAC or Naim DAC so couldn't stay.

advertisement

Back