advertisement

Am I going mad or deaf

Njb

pfm Member
I bought a set of Wharfedale Evo 40 floorstanders from a mate to experiment with. 2 months later and they are still connected, with my Dynaudio Excite X12 nicely packed away. All logic says that this cannot make sense. My Naim 62/150x pre/pwr pair should make the Dynaudios sing and the Wharfedales look like impostors at the party. Reckon I am either mad or deaf. Are the Wharfedales actually that good, or is it just evidence that the 150x is actually quite a nice amplifier that likes the easy load of the wharfedales? :confused:

Your focus is the music and you (rightly) don't give a toss (until you decided to write your post).

Don't the Dynaudios need quite a bit of power, perhaps the wharfedales are easier to drive and sound better with the 150x.

I bought a set of Wharfedale Evo 40 floorstanders from a mate to experiment with. 2 months later and they are still connected, with my Dynaudio Excite X12 nicely packed away. All logic says that this cannot make sense. My Naim 62/150x pre/pwr pair should make the Dynaudios sing and the Wharfedales look like impostors at the party. Reckon I am either mad or deaf. Are the Wharfedales actually that good, or is it just evidence that the 150x is actually quite a nice amplifier that likes the easy load of the wharfedales? :confused:

"Should" sounds like you've either believed the reviewers or the opinions of others. If the Wharfedales sound better to you that's "what is" and surely must count for more than "should".

Like others say, if you like it then it's good. I've heard £thousands that I wouldn't want in my front room, and some cheaper stuff that shouldn't be that fantastic that just works.

In addition, we don't all hear the same thing. As an example, I wouldn't put your Naim gear on the rack in my place, yet you and others here like it above all else. Different strokes.

The 150X is a sweet power amp; if you like the way it spanks the Wharfedales then happy days.

Back to the music I say!

If you do a measure and they are right, you are wrong. And you must start enjoying them instead of asking questions all the time such as 'Am I enjoying them?’

If you do a measure and they are wrong, you must change them because you are not enjoying them. Or, if you are, that is wrong and you must change.

I had a similar experience when driving quad 22L's with a XS. I upgraded to Spendor A6's but didn't work that well so went back to the quads. When I upgraded to 282/200 the spendors really started to shine and you could see why they cost more. I still preferred the presentation of the quads though. :/

Synergy perhaps?

S.

Exactly ! I once had a SONY Cassette deck and amp, playing through some Wharfedales (can't remember the model) and for some reason it all combined positively to give a result that was way beyond its price level.

And that is all that matters.

Well, that has told me. It is the combination that has to work in order to elevate it above the sum of the parts. My original post was inspired by the belief that the more highly regarded Dynaudios should have set the bar. Perhaps I should dig out my old Epos ES14s and see what happens then.....

Well, that has told me. It is the combination that has to work in order to elevate it above the sum of the parts. My original post was inspired by the belief that the more highly regarded Dynaudios should have set the bar. Perhaps I should dig out my old Epos ES14s and see what happens then.....

Ah, a man of taste. I've had a pair of Epos ES12 standmounts since 1997 and I've never regretted spending the money. At the time, I had no intention of spending more than £250 on speakers. At the same time, I bought an Arcam Alpha 9 amp (on sale with almost £100 off - cost me £360). As I was putting my coat on (I'd booked a listening room for the first time) I saw this gorgeous pair of speakers on the floor. ''What are those?'' I asked the young 'un who was taking my money. ''Well, if you don't want to spend more than £250, you don't want to hear those'' he said. To be fair to the lad, he did try to warn me. I asked him to hook them up to the Arcam amp. That was it. They cost me £500 and left me with £250 less to go on a CD frenzy with, but it didn't matter; they gave me a brand new music collection at home to fall in love with all over again. With any luck, these speakers will see me out.

My first speakers were a pair of rather large Wharfedale stand mounts. I can't remember the model, but along with my Musical Fidelity A1 and Rega turntable they produced a deep and rich sound with I still miss today.

advertisement

Back