advertisement

Those who have moved on from Naim.....

Not sure if I have replied to this before. At one point, had 52/SC/250. Had various things in-between. Now firmly in the active camp. Rationale? Well, far better value and fewer boxes, plus I get a sound quality that is beyond anything I could get from a passive amp+speaker combo at the cost of my speakers.

I will qualify this by adding that some types of speaker had to be ruled out of consideration, e.g. electrostatics or larger horns; these might equal or better my actives for certain things I am sure, but there is always a compromise for such speakers...

Regrets? Probably not sticking with the Adam Compact Actives (which I still have) as they are, for all intents and purposes, 90% as good as the 100 towers at a fraction of the price, and far more room friendly. But I had to have big active floor standers; that itch needed scratching...

I went from heavy Naim-route to Regas. I had 252/SC/CDS3/XPS2/SuperLine/SC/300 before and (or still I have 252 and xps2 for sale) went to Rega Osiris/Isis/Aria.
I found Regas more fun, more body and they sound same every day. Naim didn't.

My TT is Simon Yorke Designs 9fv with Lyra Delos. Cables are Atlas Hyper.

I'm not in the least bit interested about moving on from Naim, neither have I got any interest in upgrading, I'm really happy with what I've got and the way it sounds

I went from a 52/Scap/250 to 32.5/Hicap/Mono modded 110s. If I ever upgrade again it will be Cambridge or something bought on specs alone but more likely active speakers- ATC or Event Opals. The whole Linn/Naim thing has become a luxury lifestyle accessory like those silly handbags or cars the Beckhams like.

I've been a Linn / Naim user since 1978 when I bought the LP 12 with Ittok, which I still have today in it's various incarnations. This being Karmen, Armeggedon, Cirkus, Aro and Keiski Blue.
I bought my first Naim system in 1982 32, snaps and 250 CB and at the same time I bought a pair of Isobariks DMS. I lived happily with this set only upgrading the snaps to a Hi-cap and the 32 to a 32.5. From then on only upgrading the LP 12, Valhalla to Lingo mk1, Asak to "T" then a couple Karma's.
Then 7 years ago I changed the Karma for a Dynavector DV 20XL and the Ittok for the Aro. About 5 years ago I changed the Lingo for the Armeggedon, then bought some LesW 821A boards for the 32.5. Roundabout the same time I had Zener of this parish fit NCC 200 boards for the 250. 3 years ago I bought the Micro Benz Wood SL at the same time I bought the ASR modual for my 2 Hi-caps, as one of them I use on the 3.5CD.

I kept this system like this for about a year then I had the Khan fitted to the LP 12.
Last Christmas Gaius found a Grad 1 pre and a TPX 2 set-up which I bought, at the same time I had the Karmen fitted together with the Keiski Blue.

Finally I parted with the 250 and bought a pair of Witch Hat Audio monos. So now the only piece of Naim kit I have is , 3.5CD, ASR Hi-cap and my 101 Snaps tuner.

I have to thank the Tangerine Audio lads Mark and Derek for being ever so helpful in all things related to Hi-fi. Good people to deal with my next step will probably be to have the Kore fitted.

Now that I've had the monos in the system for a while I must put pen to paper to post my findings on them shortly.

Regards,

Martin

From what I've been told the L300 is not available now and has not been for the past year. What do you hear?
Thanks

Source: Naim CDS3/555PS > Rega Isis > Arcam Alpha 5
Amplification: Naim 552/250.2 > Rega Osiris > Primaluna Prologue 2
Aural connection to the music: Naim Allae > Zu Druid IV > Zu Druid V-Dueland Black Copper

Extremely happy now, it was an expensive trip but worthwhile to get where I am today with my music replay.

Had nait xs, cd5x, flatcap2, stageline and headline+napsc. Jumped out of a naim wagon because of long and costly upgrade paht, that I found to be on front of me.
Now I had Heed Obelisk si+Obelisk dt. Sounds more to that what I like.

Just to keep this thread alive my main system (down for service at the moment) is Linn but during the last year my office system has moved from Linn (Wakonda/LK140/Katans) to 72/Avondale TPX/250 and SBLs. Why? I missed something about Naim and as @Gaius says it just plays music.

Went from
Naim CDS3/Teddy XPS => Rega Isis SS => Innuos Zenith MK3/Teddy DAC
Naim NAC252/SC2 => Teddy PR1
Naim NAP200 => x2 Teddy MB100
I regret nothing!
For me more natural sounding. Not only the mids.

Naim was good kit. Well built, good dynamics etc. But not magic. I sold the kit due to financial reasons and wondered what I would miss when I pulled together my budget replacements. Was unsure at first but after a few weeks didn’t miss anything and realised there’s so much other excellent kit out there.Don't get me wrong, I value the Naim as part of my history and journey but now I’m pretty much where I want to be and enjoying the music.

Last edited:
Naim was good kit. Well built, good dynamics etc. But not magic. I sold the kit due to financial reasons and wondered what I would miss when I pulled together my budget replacements. Was unsure at first but after a few weeks didn’t miss anything and realised there’s so much other excellent kit out there.Don't get me wrong, I value the Naim as part of my history and journey but now I’m pretty much where I want to be and enjoying the music.

Out of interest what did you change to and what you class as budget?

Out of interest what did you change to and what you class as budget?
I initially changed to second hand Nad amplifier.I think 325BEE alongside a Rotel 965BX. The NAD sadly failed so I looked for an alternative. After listening to its predecessor I sourced a Yamaha AS 501. This combined well with the Rotel. I had a cassette deck that I’d had since my first hifi buy and I sourced a Yamaha CT1010 FM tuner for £60. All in all the equipment cost me about £350. I bought QED XT 40 speaker cable in place of the NacA4. I had a Squeezebox Touch Pi which Is served by piCoreplayer on a hidden Pi. And this goes through my already owned Dacmagic 100. I also already had my CM8 speakers which had replaced the Spendors S6 speakers I previously owned. It is a very different sound signature to the Naim I had but it is a more transparent with good dynamics and really superb mid range detail. Also a good soundstage with great height.Close your eyes and you’d think the speakers were taller. And a very unbox sound. Best of all it excels with classical, my first passion with is something that the Naim never got right really. So I class this very much as budget, even super budget in respects of the Rotel and Yammy tuner!

I initially changed to second hand Nad amplifier.I think 325BEE alongside a Rotel 965BX. The NAD sadly failed so I looked for an alternative. After listening to its predecessor I sourced a Yamaha AS 501. This combined well with the Rotel. I had a cassette deck that I’d had since my first hifi buy and I sourced a Yamaha CT1010 FM tuner for £60. All in all the equipment cost me about £350. I bought QED XT 40 speaker cable in place of the NacA4. I had a Squeezebox Touch Pi which Is served by piCoreplayer on a hidden Pi. And this goes through my already owned Dacmagic 100. I also already had my CM8 speakers which had replaced the Spendors S6 speakers I previously owned. It is a very different sound signature to the Naim I had but it is a more transparent with good dynamics and really superb mid range detail. Also a good soundstage with great height.Close your eyes and you’d think the speakers were taller. And a very unbox sound. Best of all it excels with classical, my first passion with is something that the Naim never got right really. So I class this very much as budget, even super budget in respects of the Rotel and Yammy tuner!

Cheers for that looking for a budget amp just now until I get myself sorted missing music was seriously considering a Denon micro system as prices of amps seem to have gone up a bit

I had two racks of black boxes (see System Pics thread), and now the only Naim I have is ARO and Fraim, which are great products. Music is flowing much more sweetly in the Nero household, with far fewer boxes.
No Naim-bashing from me, it's good stuff, but there are alternatives.

advertisement

Back