advertisement

Teddy Pardo does speaker cables

Much of this site is devoted to the innards of Naim products. Should be ok to discuss the innards of TP products too. If it is not, suggest people don't post about them.

Not sure what you are on about there to be honest. Just know that you kept on about having photos posted on this forum of the inside of Teddy Pardo integrated amps. Got pretty boring really.

Well, good luck to Teddy. This debate stemmed from someone's claim Naim had copied his idea of a discrete regulator. I believe that is incorrect but perhaps I am incorrect.

It also appears a more detailed discussion of the internals of TP products is too sensitive a subject for some owners/resellers - although Teddy himself seems ok with it.

Well, good luck to Teddy. This debate stemmed from someone's claim Naim had copied his idea of a discrete regulator. I believe that is incorrect but perhaps I am incorrect.

It also appears a more detailed discussion of the internals of TP products is too sensitive a subject for some owners/resellers - although Teddy himself seems ok with it.

From what I can tell by reading the Naim documentation, the Naim DR is a discrete component linear regulator (a feedback regulator), in other words, the same principle of operation as the LM317 used in the older HiCaps but a better implementation. I don't think that they have copied anyone, but if they did it would more likely be Walt Jung who lead this approach. We have used this concept of discrete component linear regulator for the TeddyCap mk1, which was based on improved version of the ALWSR.

The SuperTeddyTeg which we use for the TeddyCap mk3 is based on a totally different approach. It is not a linear regulator, it is not based on feedback, and IMHO is superior to linear regulators, even discrete... :)

What is more likely, is that Naim had to react to the situation where 3rd parties like us and Avondale created power supplies that were considered superior to their own.

I can answer these easily , I hope..!

I have never ever stated that I know anything about how hi-fi works. In fact if I remember correctly one of my posts mentioned that there might be falafel inside one of Teddys products and I wouldn't care. I use my hi-fi to listen to music, always have done.

My thoughts entirely.

The SuperTeddyTeg which we use for the TeddyCap mk3 is based on a totally different approach. It is not a linear regulator, it is not based on feedback, and IMHO is superior to linear regulators, even discrete

That's interesting; so is the regulator used not the TeddyReg2? If anyone in the Sheffield area has a TeddyCap mk3 I would be very interested to hear it please.

At last someone who actually have heard the cable. Thanks Kafy.
You said it has only been in your system for a week, maybe it will open up even more after burn in. Would be interesting to hear more about the soundquality of this cable if you can describe that please.

What cable did it replace?

/Magnus

Sure, I will let you know if the sound change in the next weeks.
My previous cables were "MPC Equilibre".

Hi Kafy

Thx for keeping us updated. I have NACA5 for ages and I think it is a fine LS cable. I still have a pair of Van Damme lingering somewhere, which was not as good with my then NCC200 250. The main reason for me to ever consider a change is the inflexibility and poor badging of + and - sides of the cables. It`s easy to wire them out of phase or loosen them if they are moved. SQ is of course important as well, but I don`t expect miracles there. Hey fancy coming over from Paris for a bake off?

Hi 33RPM,

Hope you're fine.
The TP cables are the ones you have seen before. The TP cables are made with mono core cables and are not very flexible. My previous cables were often unplugged if they were moved due to Y spade connectors. The wbt banana plugs on the TP cables are very good and they keep connected.

Hi 33RPM,

Hope you're fine.
The TP cables are the ones you have seen before. The TP cables are made with mono core cables and are not very flexible. My previous cables were often unplugged if they were moved due to Y spade connectors. The wbt banana plugs on the TP cables are very good and they keep connected.

+1 im using TP cables too

Yes, for the ST60 and the MB100 we are using the LM4780, a chip from the Overture series which I found that with good regulated power supplies performs better than common discrete circuits. In my designs I try avoid fixations such as "chip is bad, discrete is good", I use what I believe is best. In our new phono stage the input stage is also based on a chip, because I found that it performs better than a discrete circuit. Why do you ask?

Thanks. I ask out of curiosity and because this design choice is fundamental to your design approach. Fairplay to you for questioning the normal order of things.

It seems fair to say that in general chip amps have been held in less regard than discrete amps. However if I've understood you correctly, you're saying regulation with the SuperTeddyReg, itself not a linear regulator, means any prior advantages held by 'common discrete circuits' are overcome and instead the chip performs better.

To me the natural extension of this would be that say a Naim power amp powered by a STR would lose out to a chip amp powered by a STR. I would like to hear that for myself as there is a leap of faith involved. I'm also unaware of any configuration supporting the former so it may be hard to ever test.

Finally, Naim obviously do offer regulated power amps and have done for many years. The 135's, 250's and so on. The ST60 vs one of these is one place to start but hard to find unbiased reviews so perhaps I will try to find both one day and listen myself.

Interesting thread. I for myself do like to know whats inside an amp. Isn't falafel Egyptian btw?
What we are all looking for here is (I might hope) the best way to enjoy the music we like. Some of us will never stop searching for the audio nirvana, others just just stay with what they have on a given moment and don't bother anymore (happy people).
I for myself have, again like most I guess, an idea how audio nirvana sounds (I love going to concerts - especially the big orchestral works - e.g. Mahler - are soooo hard to "imitate" at home) . With TP products I feel I'm getting ALOT closer in understanding what is going on, although I'm sure there are even better products out there (with even better soundstaging, more bass, "slam" etc..). Most are sold with just one 0 to many on the price tag for me. So thank you Teddy for bringing audio nirvana a bit closer.
At a given point you buy stuff you don't feel the need to change anymore. I think this will be the case for me with the Teddy Amps.
For some products like cables I tend to think twice before spending money on them. I have used many different and even expensive cables in the past, but in the end it's more up to personal taste then real value. So if Teddy's cables are more to my taste then Naim NACA5 I might consider buying them.

I recommend to read the site :
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/skineffect/page1.html

This is a good way to understand why different cables may have different sound.
LS cables not conduct only electricity but power and frequencies.
The length, the diameter, the number of cables and what they are made of, is very important.
Errr... By showing the size of the effects the reference is explaining why normal cables sound the same and not different.

Errr... By showing the size of the effects the reference is explaining why normal cables sound the same and not different.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean (My English practice is not good enough).
Do you mean the article shows there is no influences on sound with different LS cables ?

It shows differences as fractions of a dB at high frequencies. These are well below what can be perceived.

Sure, the electrical attenuation is a very small and the accoustic attenuation may be smaller. But a small number doesn't mean small effect.
And the effects are not constant, they depends of the frequencies and the cables act differently in frequencies with the diameter, the matter ...
And in most all, it doesn't mean it is not listenable ?

The only conclusion from this study is that the length, diameter, ... change the electrical signal and that means different cables have differents effect.
I am not saying it show it is listenable ;-)

My personal tests with three LS different cables in the same system show the sound change.

But, as always, the best test is to test. If you are sure the cable can't modify the sound, I recommand you get cables from a shop and test by yourself.

But different is not better (I made the mistake in the past).

Sure, the electrical attenuation is a very small and the accoustic attenuation may be smaller. But a small number doesn't mean small effect.
And the effects are not constant, they depends of the frequencies and the cables act differently in frequencies with the diameter, the matter ...
And in most all, it doesn't mean it is not listenable ?

The only conclusion from this study is that the length, diameter, ... change the electrical signal and that means different cables have differents effect.
I am not saying it show it is listenable ;-)
Without any analysis of what might be audible that result is inevitable and not very informative. It is obvious that unless all materials had not only identical electrical characteristics, but identical chatacteristics which did not vary irrespective of the quantity and shape of the object made out of them, then it would have to follow that different wires made out of different materials in different ways would have to have have somewhat different electrical characteristics. But so what?

advertisement

Back