advertisement

New Fuji X Camera, What do we want

cliffpatte

Speed camera anarchist
OK, currently the top of the range X-Pro1, has the older sensor, no on-chip AF, and some kind of a low pass filter. There is a bunch of stuff that Fuji improved between the XE-1 and the X-E2, as explained here

I'd like to see most of that in the X-Pro2 or X-Pro1s, but I'd also like to see

- Better AF accuracy in OVF mode
- Better AF Speed
- Better pixel peeping display for MF - a la Sony / Olympus
- Having to turn off lens detection in the menu for non fuji adapters
- Better support for longer lenses
- High ISO performance
- More pixels (at this size of sensor, 25mpx is becoming the norm)
- Better AF in video mode

Any other requests?

Rumour mill suggests that the new one will be announced on 28th Jan, will be called the X-T1, will be a compact (EVF) SLR format (like OMD etc), be weather-proofed, have side memory card access, still be the same 16MP chip and a few other things, but mainly relating to speed / software. It's not an X Pro2, nor do there seem to be plans for such a thing at present. It will be priced below the X-Pro1 (original retail I assume as they are pretty much giving them away at present), but above the X-E2.

The resolution of sensors keeps increasing and all manufacturers seem to fall into the ever-increasing MP trap, but I think Fuji's 16MP X-Trans sensor hits the sweet spot between good high-ISO performance and the number of pixels people really need. With the X-Pro1's 4896 x 3264 pixels you can print a 16x10-inch print at 300 dpi. With matting and a frame it's as big photo as I'd ever want hung on the wall.

Going full frame might make some sense, but that also means a new lens system.

Better AF and more accurate framing lines would be about the only things I'd want to see... well, if I were going to buy a new camera.

Joe

Sony made the a7r without fundamentally stopping support for the E lenses. The throat of the mount is a factor but it's also to do with how much bending of light you can do from there to hit the micro lenses on the sensor

I reckon they can fit Ff sensor in there, support existing lenses in crop mode, and add some funky new lenses to the range a la Sony. Maybe they're waiting to see how many Sony sell first. Of course the OVF would have to change size too.

Going full frame might make some sense, but that also means a new lens system.

I thought that as well, but it's worth noting that currently they have XF lenses and an XC lens on the X-M1/A1

A FF sensor would be nice, but not at the expense of changing all existing lenses!!!

Early days for me with the XPro but I'd be looking for a simpler/smaller camera rather than a more complex/bigger one. I'm sure I'm in the minority though ...

So, no rear LCD screen (review pictures on an attached phone if you don't know what you've shot), an OVF that uses clever mirrors, prisms and electronically bendable lenses to give a more accurate viewfinder, and with an improved electronic overlay.

(I'd keep the EVF for just review, low-light and macro.)

Built-in diopters.

Battery and card access with the grip fitted, and a built-in thumb rest to stop me pressing buttons accidentally when carrying the damn thing.

More positive lens aperture clicks and an AF switch that doesn't move when pulling the camera in and out of a bag.

Phase detect AF for AF-C mode (but keep Contrast AF for AF-S).

Faster manual focus with the focus ring on the Fuji fly by wire lenses.

Faster card updates and/or a much bigger buffer that doesn't block shooting.

Early days for me with the XPro but I'd be looking for a simpler/smaller camera rather than a more complex/bigger one. I'm sure I'm in the minority though ...

Me too, rather keep the sensor size as is too, and shrink the body to X100 size. Also keeps lenses small too.

I'm not sure I miss anything from the Pro1. I think it's just about perfect.

If they manage to get a full frame sensor into a similar sized body, keep compatibility with the X lenses (cropped obviously), and add a coupled rangefinder for m-mount lenses, that would shake things up ;-)

Joe,

The registration distance for an X lens doesn't leave room for a mirror, so it can't have a TTL viewfinder unless it's electronic. Saying that, if you have tried a Nikon 1, you'll see how awesomely fast an EVF can be, so fingers crossed Fuji have made improvements in that area.

It's certainly got a bit of Pentax LX about it

35354d1243120597-pentax-lx-lx_071110_64k_wex.jpg

Cesare,

Just wondered because the new X camera looked a bit like an SLR.

I think it would be a bad commercial idea for Fuji to introduce another lens system, especially as the line is becoming established.

Joe

Observations:

It's the same sensor as the XE2 which in turn was basically the same as the XPro1, so I would expect the image quality to be the same and the samples do look the same.

So it must be all about form Factor and features. Clearly Fuji have looked at cameras like the OMD EM5 and EM1, and they've picked upon the need for a semi pro water resistant case. So I see this as a direct competitor to the EM1. So how does it comare?

Larger sensor and higher maximum base ISO, so it might be better in low light, but this is to be confirmed, because the EM1 is actually better than the XPRO1 in this respect, so have they simply over-amplified an existing chip and then done noise reduction n the JPEG conversion? To be confirmed, no doubt.

Image stabilisation is only in the lens, unlike the five axis EM1, so this is not as useful for manual lenses mounted on adapters.

It's got wifi and other connectivity features, so no real difference there, I guess. Film simulation seems to be retained exactly like the other Xs, whereas the EM1 has more art modes, which some people maŷ like. I like dramatic tone, but I also like the Fuji tones.

It's looking like a score draw, depending on that high ISO feature being any use, otherwise it would be victory to the EM1 with its brilliant ergonomics and stabilisation features this is more important to me shooting landscapes and cityscapes in low light than high ISO.

advertisement

Back