advertisement

ST60 vs MB100

It's nice to read about an IXO/Credo combination as I ran an identical set up for many years, only replacing it within the last few months. I also have a Teddy DAC-VC which I hope will bypass the need for my NAC 82 (and Dual Teddy +) when I have ripped all my vinyl.

I now have a SNAXO and SBLs and found the detail this gave significantly better than the IXO/Credos. The Credos sounded a bit boxy in comparison and the SNAXO gave much sharper edges to the music - if you have the chance then please audition.

A Teddy x-over would be a very interesting prospect as I for one would never go back to a passive set up. I did try it with the SBLs and it just wasn't as good.

CHE

Hi CHE

I agree with you, the Credos sound a bit boxy. I had them on a 3.5 with 250 and for the last 10 years in the current set-up. But with the TeddyDAC and TeddyPre the boxy sound is reduced by about 50%. Some discussions on the forum highlighted that Naim and specially the NAP250 are boosted in the mid-bass region. I now agree with this comment. The ST60 and MB100 don’t have this boost.

So, I am very anxious to receive Teddy’s amps to ear the result.

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to order 4 x MB100 instead of the 2 X ST60. The 12 days of wait to receive them in Canada will be very long!!!

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,
Michel

Michel
I can't help with the comparisons that you request I'm afraid but I have an all Teddy system with 4 X MB100 driving SL2. I moved to this from a 52/snaxo supercap/ 4 X135s and I am very happy with the improvement in detail and soundstage. I am hearing new instruments in music that I have listened to for years. Teddy will allow you a period to try the equipment and this may be the best way for you to compare in your room.

Bhamer,

I am extremely interested in your journey from Naim to Teddy since I have just taken the first step from 52/2x135 to my goal of an active Teddy system. I generally like what the 52/135 setup does, but do feel that aspects of it can be improved.

I recently purchased a PR1 (2nd hand to lower the risk having not actually heard any of Teddy's gear). If this works out, I'll be looking for SNAXO and either 2xST60 or 4xMB100. My thinking is that although the MB100s would be nice, a pair of ST60 should provide sufficient power for the SL2s. I rarely get above 9-9:30 o'clock with digital sources or 12 o'clock with my analog (Roksan Shiraz with 'E' boards).

Just wondering if you or anyone has experience with ST60 vs MB100 in a scenario like mine.

Cheers

I go along with your findings on the Pre Michel.
I also listened to both the ST60 and MB100. The differences seemed not that big indeed, but to me they were audible. Its to those last few % the money goes in most cases anyway. Teddy himself confirmed the differences are small. But to keep future options wide open I decided to go for the MB100. Still waiting delivery :-(
By the way: his interconnect cables are also VERY good and at real world prices.

33RPM,

Could you expand on what you feel the differences between the ST60 and MB100 are?

Cheers

Bhamer,

I am extremely interested in your journey from Naim to Teddy since I have just taken the first step from 52/2x135 to my goal of an active Teddy system. I generally like what the 52/135 setup does, but do feel that aspects of it can be improved.

I recently purchased a PR1 (2nd hand to lower the risk having not actually heard any of Teddy's gear). If this works out, I'll be looking for SNAXO and either 2xST60 or 4xMB100. My thinking is that although the MB100s would be nice, a pair of ST60 should provide sufficient power for the SL2s. I rarely get above 9-9:30 o'clock with digital sources or 12 o'clock with my analog (Roksan Shiraz with 'E' boards).

Just wondering if you or anyone has experience with ST60 vs MB100 in a scenario like mine.

Cheers

Hi
I moved from the 4x135 directly to the 4xmb100 so have no experience of the comparison between the Teddy amps.
I can only repeat my pleasure with the change and that the Naim mid range boost has become so obvious after hearing the Teddy presentation of the same music.
I can hear more instruments and the clarity of voices is much improved. This is in addition to a much wider soundstage which considerably improves the width whilst retaining the sense that you can't hear the speakers - only the music.

I have a Naim NAP250.2.....are two MB100 much better than a NAP250.2. I understand you are comparing to a 250 and not 250.2 who should be better than the 250. Or are many of the improvements infact comming from the switch to the teddypre.

I bought a teddydac 4 weeks ago, and are now running-in a Teddypre for 8 days. What an improvement over my naim nac202/hicapDR and the system including new AR Lunar sound RCA cables are not yet fully run in....

The next step is 2*MB100 (maybe) but I really like what the NAP250.2 did instead of a Nap200. If I can get even more improvement from Teddy's amps then it would be great.

If I can get even more improvement from Teddy's amps then it would be great.

IMHO I think you will find a pair of MB100s quite a bit better than your Naim amp. I have never compared the 250 2 with the Teddy amps but have owned many 250s and a pair of 135s. The Teddy power amps, when used in a full Teddy system, bring more to the party than one might imagine. This is mostly down to the synergy between the components. Its as if you a putting the last few pieces of the puzzle in place and suddenly seeing the whole picture.

I recently lent a good friend my TeddyDAC as his CD player was out of action. What I heard from his system was very good but ultimately rather frustrating. Because I'm used to a full Teddy system I was hearing glimpses of what the TeddyDAC can fully achieve but nowhere near the full amount.

I'm not saying with Teddy kit that it's all or nothing but there is a very tangible rightness and magic that happens when one has gone fully Teddy Pardo.

I intend to agree on that last one. Although I have kept away from digital for serious listening till now.
I heard a difference between ST60 and MB100 when Teddy demoed them. I preferred by a small margin the MB100s. But it seems (if I understood correctly) this was more due to evolution wherby an "older" ST60 sounds slightly different to a recent one. The ST on demo was in use for some time, the MB100s being latest spec.

number of amplifier double per channel resulting lower output impedence and better loading characteristics

advertisement

Back