advertisement

ST60 vs MB100

That's a question i would like some opinions on as i am considering going down the Teddy Pardo route. Maybe some more information Michel as to what source and speakers you have. Are they the same inside?
Welcome to the forum Michel.

Hi Nirvanah

Quick introduction. I am 60 years old and purchased my first Naim amp in 1984. Made some Naim upgrades in the 80’s. From 1999 to 2001 made additional upgrades. Restarted the upgrade project last fall.

Last summer started to read about Teddy’s products. I am retired, so read many posts on 2 forums.

The starting point: Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 3D (CD), NAC82 with 2 HI-CAP, Naim IXO (crossover), 2 x NAP250, Credo speakers. All wires are Naim except Chord for the CD.

In November I purchased the Teddy’s DAC because I wanted to get into streaming. It is better than the Nu Vista’s DAC but I was expecting more. I thought the Credo’s reached their limit. So I paused the project and I visited stores to listen to Spendor, PMC, NAIM, DynAudio, and DeVore all in passive mode. After each listening session, I was not as thrilled as I was expecting.

n December, installed the TeddyPre and it completely changed the system. The Credo’s now sound much better. The TeddyPre is much better than my NAC82 with its 2 HI-CAP. More detail, smoother HI’s, more controlled bass.

Today’s System: The CD feeds the TeddyDAC, TeddyPre, Naim IXO (crossover), 2 x NAP250, Credo speakers. All devices are connected with Teddy’s wires. Naim speaker wire and Naim banana plug.

The next step is the power amp and I was really struggling with active versus passive. Emailed Teddy and he recommends active. I will remain active with the following options:

2 x ST60 or
4 x MB100 or
1 x ST60 to drive the tweeters and 2 x MB100 for the mid/bass drivers.

No issue with the cost of 4 x MB100, but if the improvement is approximately 15% over 2 x ST60, the latter is probably the better choice. If the improvement is 50% or more 4 x MB100 would my choice.

Sorry this was a bit lengthy

No issue with the cost of 4 x MB100, but if the improvement is approximately 15% over 2 x ST60, the latter is probably the better choice. If the improvement is 50% or more 4 x MB100 would my choice.

Hi Michel,

Interesting perspective. Of course ones man's 15% is another man's 50% :) but I get the gist.

To be honest in the context of your system I would have thought that between the choices you present the differences are far more likely to be in the 15% ballpark (and personally for an amp difference of the sort you present here I'd be more than happy if it was even that).

Over to someone who actually knows the amp/speaker combos from personal experience :)

Michel
I can't help with the comparisons that you request I'm afraid but I have an all Teddy system with 4 X MB100 driving SL2. I moved to this from a 52/snaxo supercap/ 4 X135s and I am very happy with the improvement in detail and soundstage. I am hearing new instruments in music that I have listened to for years. Teddy will allow you a period to try the equipment and this may be the best way for you to compare in your room.

Hi Bhamer,

Thanks for your comments. After the speaker listening session, I continued to read posts and I read your comments. They made me realised that keeping the IXO and Credo was an option. At the same time, I read in interesting review of the IXO on the Naim forum. It also contributed to my decision to continue in the active mode. Like you I am hearing new instruments in music that I have listened to for years. This is with the current set-up. Can’t wait to order the power amps.

What I am hoping to find is a member that used the ST60 for a while and replaced them with MB100. It would be nice to read his comments.

I have heard both, and I decided to buy the ST60. TBH I heard very little difference, other than the greater power of the MB100s (not really surprising, I suspect much of design is common to both) and as I have reasonably efficient speakers (SF Liuto Towers) there seemed little point in spending more. The ST60 is quoted as suitable for 4-16ohm, the MB100 2-16ohm so I personally would only change if I had considerably more difficult to drive speakers (eg Shahinians) in mind.

I go along with your findings on the Pre Michel.
I also listened to both the ST60 and MB100. The differences seemed not that big indeed, but to me they were audible. Its to those last few % the money goes in most cases anyway. Teddy himself confirmed the differences are small. But to keep future options wide open I decided to go for the MB100. Still waiting delivery :-(
By the way: his interconnect cables are also VERY good and at real world prices.

Hi 33rpm,

I completely understand you comments regarding future options. This is one of the reasons I am struggling between both amps.

I talked to Teddy about 1 x ST60 (tweeters) + 2 x Mb100 (bass) and he is Ok with that option. May be it is a good compromise!

Excuse my ignorance,but can someone explain how to use 4 x mb 100's and what would be needed in addition to the power amps to do so,avoiding anything to do with Naim!
Thanks Andrew.

boegelund, yes probably Naim ixo. But without using Naim Ixo or Snaxo how or with what can you run a 4 pack of mb100's?

With SL2 guess he use electronic crossover

I do use a Snaxo / TeddySupercap to the 4 x 100s driving my SL2s. I kept the Snaxo after changing my Naim gear for Teddy. I would have thought that you could use another crossover and see no reason why it has to be Naim although I also don't understand why it shouldn't be either.

I do use a Snaxo / TeddySupercap to the 4 x 100s driving my SL2s. I kept the Snaxo after changing my Naim gear for Teddy. I would have thought that you could use another crossover and see no reason why it has to be Naim although I also don't understand why it shouldn't be either.

After many many years of Naim I jumped ship. Now its all Teddy gear so would rather stay away and find a suitable alternative!

After many many years of Naim I jumped ship. Now its all Teddy gear so would rather stay away and find a suitable alternative!

Does your Naim jumping not vote for SL2 or am I in misunderstanding ?

I'd rather see crossover, electronic or passive as a part of speakers

I actually asked Teddy about whether he had a recommended crossover for 4 xMB100s. He replied that he had designed one for personal use but it was not available commercially. If Teddy decided to market it I would buy it but until that happens then I shall just enjoy what I have - Naim or not.

Does your Naim jumping not vote for SL2 or am I in misunderstanding ?

I'd rather see crossover, electronic or passive as a part of speakers

If you mean,do I have SL 2's or Naim speakers, no I don't, but agree that if I did it would be appropriate to use Naim crossovers.

It's nice to read about an IXO/Credo combination as I ran an identical set up for many years, only replacing it within the last few months. I also have a Teddy DAC-VC which I hope will bypass the need for my NAC 82 (and Dual Teddy +) when I have ripped all my vinyl.

I now have a SNAXO and SBLs and found the detail this gave significantly better than the IXO/Credos. The Credos sounded a bit boxy in comparison and the SNAXO gave much sharper edges to the music - if you have the chance then please audition.

A Teddy x-over would be a very interesting prospect as I for one would never go back to a passive set up. I did try it with the SBLs and it just wasn't as good.

CHE

advertisement

Back