advertisement

ZU audio

dougie834

pfm Member
has anyone heard or owned any loudspeakers for Zu audio ?
been doing a lot of research on some of there models they all seam to be able to give the music a 'live' feel as being there at a gig with great dynamics
any opinions would be great thanks

I had a home demo of the Druids a few years ago but couldn't get the bass to sound right. I think thick pile carpet I have didn't help as the bass is tuned via a port on the underside and the gap between it and the floor had to be right (about 5mm).

I also don't really like exposed drive units.

Apart from that, I think they are good value for money and have the advantage of not needing many watts to drive them.

I had the Soul Superfly, and indeed they are very forward and fast. Work best with valves, solid state can work too but must be careful selected. The Unitiqute was a good match, for example...

Did sell them because I discovered that their 'live' sound was too much in the face for me.

Cheers
Klaus

I ve got Druids and Trafomatic Aries amp and I agree with the 'live' feel.
Excellent dynamics and very involving sound - it feels rude leaving room half way through a track!
No problems with carpet I ve got mine on two thin marble slabs and it's a simple adjustment with the supplied threaded bar feet.
I m sure James who has far more experience of all things Zu will be along soon

Heard them a few times, sounded best on the end of a Audion amp and WT turntable. First heard them with Densen and it was not good.

Avonessence is your man on Zu speakers.

A speaker I would love to try one day.

Did sell them because I discovered that their 'live' sound was too much in the face for me

I think I'd blame that on the amp more than the speakers. I've yet to be convinced by using Naim amps on Zu speakers.
Maybe the speakers were showing up the character of the amp.

I think I'd blame that on the amp more than the speakers. I've yet to be convinced by using Naim amps on Zu speakers.
Maybe the speakers were showing up the character of the amp.

That might well be! ZUs are generally very revealing. Although the Unitiqute was the only one from Naim who could keep up with the speed of the ZUs. Supernait etc. just were no match at all.

Tube amps are a natural choice and work much better. I just don't want to have tube amps.

As said, this was with the Soul Superfly. The Essence are different beasts altogether.

I ve got Druids and Trafomatic Aries amp and I agree with the 'live' feel.
Excellent dynamics and very involving sound - it feels rude leaving room half way through a track!
No problems with carpet I ve got mine on two thin marble slabs and it's a simple adjustment with the supplied threaded bar feet.
I m sure James who has far more experience of all things Zu will be along soon

Happy New Year mate, good to hear you are still enjoying your music through them.
Must get over to hear the IV's on the end of the Trafomatic.

has anyone heard or owned any loudspeakers for Zu audio ?
been doing a lot of research on some of there models they all seam to be able to give the music a 'live' feel as being there at a gig with great dynamics
any opinions would be great thanks

Dougie,

I have had and enjoyed Zu speakers since 2007, never really had my head turned by any other speaker, except for the current Druid V's.
Started off with the Druid IV-2008's, changed for the Essence but went back to the Druid IV-2008 when I got a valve amp, I now have the Druid V's, IMO it can't get any better than this? If it can, I am absolutely sure I would not be able to afford it or even justify its cost.

I would describe the Zu speakers (with the correct ancilliaries/set up) as the listener being right on the front row of a gig/studio/recording location, you are certainly involved in the performance, not just a distant observer.

The Druids in particular the V's excel at a wide range of music that I listen to, Folk, Americana, Prog, Rock, Blues, Jazz and other types which I haven't pigeon-holed my music into.

IMO (but I'm biased) if you want to really hear what they do, you need to travel to hear them in a static set up. You are more than welcome at mine (Manchester area).

Best

James

Dougie,

I have had and enjoyed Zu speakers since 2007, never really had my head turned by any other speaker, except for the current Druid V's.
Started off with the Druid IV-2008's, changed for the Essence but went back to the Druid IV-2008 when I got a valve amp, I now have the Druid V's, IMO it can't get any better than this? If it can, I am absolutely sure I would not be able to afford it or even justify its cost.

I would describe the Zu speakers (with the correct ancilliaries/set up) as the listener being right on the front row of a gig/studio/recording location, you are certainly involved in the performance, not just a distant observer.

The Druids in particular the V's excel at a wide range of music that I listen to, Folk, Americana, Prog, Rock, Blues, Jazz and other types which I haven't pigeon-holed my music into.

IMO (but I'm biased) if you want to really hear what they do, you need to travel to hear them in a static set up. You are more than welcome at mine (Manchester area).

Best

James
sounds like my kind of speaker,have you heard the omen def ?

The omen def is a good loudspeaker, but then again that would depend on the point of view you have regarding whether you favour dynamics and shove, or if you are more looking at tone and solidity (timbre).
You can't have both, no matter what people will tell you, so you have to decide what is most important to you.

The next consideration would be budjet. ? Zu over here are not cheap, but you will soon come to realise how hard it is to find a better speaker if you connect with what they do, especially at the price.

As James says, really you do need to experience a static setup. Zu speakers and cables take a little while to settle once being moved, so unless the dealer is deming a system that has not been moved for a couple of days, I'd then say home dem is a must.

Hi Paul, nice to see you still enjoying the druids.

sounds like my kind of speaker,have you heard the omen def ?

Dougie

Yes I have heard the Omen Def's on a number of occasions, a very good speaker as are the Zu speakers I have heard/owned, but I seem to be swayed by the presentation of the single FRD it has a certain magic about it which is hard to describe in words.

Best

James

The omen def is a good loudspeaker, but then again that would depend on the point of view you have regarding whether you favour dynamics and shove, or if you are more looking at tone and solidity (timbre).
You can't have both, no matter what people will tell you, so you have to decide what is most important to you.

You can't have both? Why not? Please explain.

I think what Ian was trying to say that you can't have both as major aspects of these particular speakers, one or the other will be the dominant signature.

But, apparently you can have both as equal signatures, they are called the Zu Dominance.

The easiest way would be to go and listen to the different characters. Both are a means to an end, it depends on what you really cherish or crave the most.
I think another way to try and clarify it would to be for you to try and give a little more idea as to how you would prefer the end result to sound.
Do you want large scale impact with rock concert thrown in. Or close intimate gig in a small club sat on the front row almost playing with the band ?

advertisement

Back