advertisement

New product on the way from NAIM

At the risk of going to go out on a limb (this being pfm): I like many Naim products.

The market is still there at the core price points Naim used to target, but you have to hit it with products that excel and outperform the others in that bracket.

Unfortunately for Naim, in the last few years they have been undermined by products at half the price or less of their premium flagship models.

The British audiphool is far from extinct or no longer spending, but perhaps they are now starting to listen to what they are being offered.
I've heard Chinese premium brand hifi that is much better than the current Naim offerings. These companies have been big in the east for years.
Naim haven't tailored the sound to meet market appeal, they've just found a new bunch of middle-class wallets willing to buy into the so called appeal of the "British lifestyle" and perceived quality of British built and engineered products. I don't believe performance has much bearing on what to buy, it's all about the badge.

IMO of course.

Hate to be a debby-downer or doubting Thomas or any other nay-saying nickname but I typically when I hear someone getting really upset about a high-end product charging high-end prices, it's usually frustration out of the fact that someone can't afford to buy it.

So many of the inspired DIY products that many PF community members have developed over the years have been inspired by Naim or knock off Naim, etc. Typically because they do make fantastic products.

As a company their interest is to make solid products but of course that drive is fueled by money. Same with Apple or any other manufacturer. IF people will pay for it, then they've addressed a market segment. If you're not in that market segment, which most of us aren't (I'm not), we benefit from being able to try and achieve similar solutions with their research. Or we like something else.

Overpriced? Perhaps depending on how you're looking at it but I'm not sure they can be faulted. A company that doesn't support their customers, though, or back their product, that's something to get ticked about. But I don't often hear that critique of Naim Audio.

NDAC 500

Although when I watched the video I thought it was some sort of new tall omni directional speaker like the old round Rogers dustbin speakers.

I may be wrong here but I heard a price in the region of £100k! If that is the case then to me it does look like a Focal influenced product to go with their £100k+ loudspeakers for the super rich audiophile whoever they are. I wonder if they will be advocating a three way 'active' set up for the 'super' super-rich buyer. Other companies manage to pull this kind of thing off and do quite well out of it and while it may be an "OOOH AHHH" product for some it may be just as big a sticker price turn off for others. It better bloody sound good thats for sure and I hope it does. Best of luck to them, I hope it's a well enough thought out strategy.

As the OP (and a Naim user) I can say that I like the look of the kit. Hate the marketing bull though....just tedious.

All a bit like the Great Machine constructed by the Krell of Altair iv, don't think they used valves.

Forbidden_Planet_-_The_Great_Machine.jpg

advertisement

Back