advertisement

Serious demonstration question

Interesting Chris, Serious question - do you think system (perceived) performance is related to emotional/physical well being? Could you elaborate your experiences to validate this?

The reason I ask is:

Would you say in the case of a music system that goes off (quality of performance significantly drops) at roughly (+/- 10 minutes) the same time every night, then would that diagnose a time-related symptom between ones ears?

This is irrespective of what time one started listening, could have been listening to music for 3-4 hours or 10 minutes.

"do you think system (perceived) performance is related to emotional/physical well being"

Absolutely.

"Would you say in the case of a music system that goes off (quality of performance significantly drops) at roughly (+/- 10 minutes) the same time every night, then would that diagnose a time-related symptom between ones ears?"

Nah, unlikely that's probably a mains thing.

When we had electric storage heaters & the old white meter kicked in on timer, we had a voltage drop & that affected the Hi Fi slightly.

Or it could be something in the neighbourhood kicking in on a timer.

When we first got married, there was a fabrication shop at the end of the road & when those buggers fired up their arc welders, the mains voltage was all over the place.

Chris

Fool!!

Pygmy = Congo

Pigmy = S. America

:):):)

Chris

I love it, Chris ! Mind you, I dunno where you got your info., 'cos one is a variant spelling of t'other and they (both !) come from equatorial Africa (only). Unless a mass migration took place after my O.E.D. was published, of course. :D

This sounds more like poor dealer training, I would expect a well trained dealer to demonstrate the first speaker/cable combination, then replace the speakers but keep the cables, then after first demonstrating them that way, suggest that an alternative cable would sound better. This would, of course, give rise to the situation where I would want to hear the first speakers with the second cables. In other words to let me reach a self informed decision.

Very true, but dealers in all walks of life are so afraid of breaking the spell and losing the sale, they will try everything possible to avoid flat-spots during the sale.

Chris,

I never claimed to have Golden Ears, or a perfectly audible memory . But , if something has a typical sound signature ( or should have ) then it should be able to be recognised.
If something is getting in the way some how, and it's audible, and it matters to you, then it's an issue.

All I have said is if these things are unimportant to you ( or you do not feel affected or influenced by them ) , then you are fortunate to be able to enjoy your sytem in a state that others could not.
However, it would appear that you have an external influance to help you reach your nirvana. ;)

I wouldn't use a dealer who did not recognise when a product is performing or not by having to either check it against another. It either works as it should or it doesn't. If you can't rely on your dealer to identify if you have a suspect issue, it's time to change. And that includes cables.

To put it blunty as you appear to continual miss the point , I don't give a **** what the dealer thinks , its what I think , I wish to make up my own mind and I can only do this if unaccountable variables are left out of the mix . If I took the dealers word for it I probably need an new source , new amp and new table to get the best out of my new speakers .

I accept speaker cable effects sound I don't think it can make a shit speaker brilliant , thus it must remain constant in assessing speakers .

What you think is influenced by the demonstration, or you wouldn't be having a demonstration. If the dealer played a speaker and it didn't sound good to you first time round, it's unlikely you'll want to give it much more thought. If the reason it didn't sound good enough comes down to the cables, you might just have missed out on your next speaker. And given the animosity directed toward this whole cable thing, the dealer might not be able to say 'let's try this again, this time with the right cable'.

However, as I said earlier, to just do this without giving a reason is not good. Having looked at the OP, the reason might be something entirely trivial like the first set of loudspeakers only accepted banana plugs, and the second set only accepts spade lugs. But without explanation, it's not entirely right.

Back to burning in speaker cables, it is very very critical to pick the correct recordings to do this. My first advise to you is that under no circumstances you play Jethro Tulls Aqualung on a new pair until after they have been well broken in or they will sound like snott on all your other records. And, never never play three Tom Waits records in a row or the cables will take on the sound of cigars and whiskey that you will never get rid of. I hope you take this good advise.*

Louballoo

PS: Think of how Tom Waits farts sound and smell when he wakes up at 11:00 AM after a night at the diner. You don't want your speaker cables to have that sound for ever - do you?

advertisement

Back