advertisement

reinforced concrete and sound isolation

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
The problem:-

reinforced concrete.... and the very efficient way it transmits noise in and out of my listening room

The question:-

is there any simple-ish solution to reduce the amount of sound entering and leaving my listening room that could be implemented when I get it re-decorated?

Is dry lining too much? A double thickness of plasterboard or something denser like multipro (magnesium silicate) board, fixed together with silicone or green glue, then compliantly fixed to a wooden frame, and back filled with wool would help, though you also need to pay attention to air leaks as sound can find its way out through small holes quite easily. seal doors and windows etc.

You really need to make a room within a room, and the 'imside' room has to be acoustically decoupled from the outer,
Let me know how you get on!
Keith.

Interesting! The first reply from JemHaward recommends wall sound proofing but your thread asks for reinforced concrete isolation which I know ( being a construction Joiner) would suggest floor as no walls in a domestic residence that I'm aware of are built from reinforced concrete. If you meant party walls ( neighbour problems?) then it's a fairly comprehensive job. I renovated a house a few years ago that didn't have an external wall cavity. To provide insulation I battened out the walls then insulated with rock wool, vapour barried then plasterboard and skim. That method would provide good sound insulation (amongst other things) on an internal party wall. A recommended joiner who can plaster ( or the other way round) would be the man to seek out.

Interesting! The first reply from JemHaward recommends wall sound proofing but your thread asks for reinforced concrete isolation which I know ( being a construction Joiner) would suggest floor as no walls in a domestic residence that I'm aware of are built from reinforced concrete. If you meant party walls ( neighbour problems?) then it's a fairly comprehensive job. I renovated a house a few years ago that didn't have an external wall cavity. To provide insulation I battened out the walls then insulated with rock wool, vapour barried then plasterboard and skim. That method would provide good sound insulation (amongst other things) on an internal party wall. A recommended joiner who can plaster ( or the other way round) would be the man to seek out.

That's the proper way to do it. Would cost a few bob.

Sound proofing a Flat is a bitch. The floor and ceiling will most likely be Bison Beams. 8" thick topped with a 2" screed (I wouldn't think about sound proofing those) so they should transmit less sound than the walls. The above method still best for the walls. Materials not too expensive. Maybe @£100 for say a 15 foot wall. Labour @ x 2 days per wall if you redecorate yourself. Hope this helps.

Gyproc Soundbloc plasterboard dot and dabbed onto existing walls and skimmed. Wall and floor joints, door and window frames sealed with acoustic sealant.

Most effective and cheapest. Decent plasterer should do it in a day and the sealant when plaster dry.

Hope this helps

advertisement

Back