advertisement

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

The present list of of people wanting to try the demo unit is getting to the point where everyone on it has tried it, so anyone else wanting to give it a go please let me know :)

Jez, it is definitely time for a holiday for that busy unit. I am more than happy to pay postage to here. Are there any other people in Australia that would like to hear it?

Jez, it is definitely time for a holiday for that busy unit. I am more than happy to pay postage to here. Are there any other people in Australia that would like to hear it?

Bruce, I don't think folks in the colonies are going to want to pay maybe £80 plus in return postage.... then there's the import/export regulations and taxes etc... That's why I only deal within the EU (it has it's uses... so UKIP yah boo sucks)

I understand Jez, the import restrictions here in oz are pretty good, no tax on new products under $1000 dollars and as your unit is a sample it would be fine. I am coming home next year and I am hoping to scratch a few itches in between family commitments.

Hi, could you add me to your list for the loan unit. I have a michell gyrodec with roksan tabriz arm with mm shure vst v cartridge. l have a stock 640p running into ATC SIA2-150 amp onto Yamaha NS1000M.

Looking forward to hear what magic is possible.

Cheers

Hi, could you add me to your list for the loan unit. I have a michell gyrodec with roksan tabriz arm with mm shure vst v cartridge. l have a stock 640p running into ATC SIA2-150 amp onto Yamaha NS1000M.

Cheers

Compare it to a stock 640P and be prepared for a BIG surprise!!
Consider yourself on the list ;)

Cheers

Hmm... I don't know how much you play your vinyl but you are quite 'front end light' IMO.

Agreed, one of the reasons I am considering Arkless unit. I mainly listen to squeezebox. Through mdac. Or cd on naim cd2. is it the 640p or also the cartridge you think is light, I am happy with TT imho.

I agree, hence interest in Arkless. Changing to a quality mc is a bigger investment and decision. I have a goldring eroica high, never tried it, any views?

for me though there are MMs I like a lot going to MC was an irreversible step, I feel that my gyro SE with NIMA warrant it, as does the Arkless

Jez has had my (spanking new...I've never even seen it yet) 651P since march 2013.

I sold up all my analogue front end on the strength of a 1 month turnaround.

I paid extra for the "turbo version"....and of course paid in full.

Emails from Jez have only come when I've asked for them.

Promised 2 weekly updates have not happened.

I'm not sure how to feel but "overwhelmed by great service and support" doesn't spring to mind at this moment. I know Jez is a one man band but......

Steve

PS - It really saddens me that I'm having to post this here.

Jez has had my (spanking new...I've never even seen it yet) 651P since march 2013.

I sold up all my analogue front end on the strength of a 1 month turnaround.

I paid extra for the "turbo version"....and of course paid in full.

Emails from Jez have only come when I've asked for them.

Promised 2 weekly updates have not happened.

I'm not sure how to feel but "overwhelmed by great service and support" doesn't spring to mind at this moment. I know Jez is a one man band but......

Steve

PS - It really saddens me that I'm having to post this here.

You sent me your unit at the end of March and didn't decide to go for the turbo version for a couple of weeks later....I told you that it hadn't even been designed yet and therefore the original estimate for delivery of the standard unit was no longer viable... I also explained that it was likely to take quite some time and that your patience on the matter would be appreciated. You were given a discount on it for being the first adopter of the new version (when it's ready!).
I don't give updates to customers unless there is anything to actually update them on!
I have replied to your emails.... basically telling you that there was nothing yet to tell you...
On our last communication (a fortnight ago) I informed you that virtually 100% of my time was being taken up currently on R+D work for a more upmarket phono stage which had nothing to do with the 640P mods and that technology from that work would "trickle-down" to your 640P.

As a goodwill gesture I will now guarantee that you will have it within 10 days.

Thanks Jez. I'm on business for about a month so if it helps complete the project under less pressure, please be aware of the extra time you have.

As i see it, what i will actually get is:-

1) An Arkless phono stage
2) An upgraded version (so called "turbo") over your standard unit
3) further enhancements and mods that you trickle down from a future version

I have to say, I cannot wait to hear vinyl again. All these posts have whetted my appetite to a frenzy...

Rgds

Steve

Utter rot! Nothing wrong with that front end at all!

No need to get shirty - Didn't you write this?

It's not hard to respect others opinions - assuming one is reasonably civilised and has the capability to think before they type - even if we do not agree with them.

As it happens, I was referring to the standard 640p; but perhaps you think there is nothing wrong with that...

However, I'm not a great fan of MM cartridges either :).

Thanks Jez. I'm on business for about a month so if it helps complete the project under less pressure, please be aware of the extra time you have.

As i see it, what i will actually get is:-

1) An Arkless phono stage
2) An upgraded version (so called "turbo") over your standard unit
3) further enhancements and mods that you trickle down from a future version

I have to say, I cannot wait to hear vinyl again. All these posts have whetted my appetite to a frenzy...

Rgds

Steve

That is indeed what you can expect to get. The extra time is helpful.

Just received an Arkless modded phono amp, only one word to describe the sound through this thing, stunning!

BTW, if anyone finds a jaw in the Glasgow area please get in touch as I've lost mine.

:cool:

I've just received mine too. Sounds great straight out of the (Coors Light) box.

A big step up from my local Teddy Reg'ed PreFix.

Thanks Jez

I've just received mine too. Sounds great straight out of the (Coors Light) box.

A big step up from my local TRed PreFix.

Thanks Jez

I've spent the afternoon playing records, the biggest compliment i can pay Jez and his amp is that I can't stop listening to records.

Everything I've played has been a revelation, Jazz, Soul, seventies stuff like Lou Reed, nineties stuff from the likes of R.E.M, Norah Jones etc etc.

Best I've heard vinyl on my system, just fantastic.

A complete bargain too plus Jez is a top bloke to deal with.

Definitely well worth the wait.

Tony

advertisement

Back