advertisement

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

I think I have this demo unit at my house. I've certainly just been loaned an Arkless modified Cambridge. I genuinely haven't read any of the proceeding thread so, when I plugged it in yesterday, I really didn't have a clue what to expect. Well, that's not entirely true because I have heard a standard Cambridge stage in my system and two heavily modified ones. Unfortunately this is some time ago, when the Cambridge was launched. Since then I have had a bunch of much more expensive and ambitious stages in the system.

So, I see that the previous MM sockets have been reconfigured to act as cartridge loading plugs (excellent idea) and, so far, I haven't configured them to best serve my cartridge (though I intend to and have the bits).

I plugged it in, connected my arm earth and.... Nothing - in the sense of no negative - no hum, very little hiss, plenty of gain but not too much - spot on in fact.

I sat back to listen. Now you have to bear in mind here that I have been in search of 'the best' phono stage for some years now and recently settled on a design called the Paradise, a very elaborate and ambitious design - as a result, my sights are set beyond the natural place of the Cambridge. Nevertheless, my first reaction was to be impressed. Dynamic swing was good, particularly bass which had very good extension and weight. The standard unit struck me as very dry sounding and this modified one seems significantly more sophisticated and developed its presentation. It very much reminded me of the Linn Uphorik, which is considered by many to be good value at 2K.

Negative aspects, well it isn't the last word in stereo focus or ambience retrieval. Also, whilst it's all there information wise, it isn't ordered with quite the level of sophistication that some (not all) much more expensive stages can manage.

Of course, all of this is with the wrong cartridge loading so we shall see how things change/improve when the loading is better matched.

Will update :) - but I would already say it is something of a bargain!

Hi YNWOAN very nice write up. We look forward to you dialling in your cart and your thoughts. I still think this unit needs a holiday soon.

It's going to misterdog when I get back to Sheffield on Saturday.

Roll those loading caps and resistors that i gave you Mark, though they are specifically for the Paradise and your cart. 2k might be too high with the Arkless 640, try something around 500 ohms as well.

I'm pleased to hear that it's sounding good so far! The plugs you have with it are 100 Ohm and 1nF in parallel BTW if that's any help as a starting point....
I'll be interested to hear your final verdict with optimum loading ;)

Unfortunately I was just about to make up some alternative loading plugs when the Cambridge stage was spirited off to go to another pfm'ers house. So, no updates from me - but I've experimented quite a bit with altering loading in the past and I doubt it would have changed my thoughts very much.

I plugged it in and played with it last night. Certainly there's a world of difference between it at 100ohms and 2k, which is my preferred for my Benz LP. The changes are just in the balance of treble to mid and bottom end but the effect is pronounced and i certainly prefer it with the correct loading.

It's a while since I had a 640p in my house more than 2 years so I really can't draw a close comparison between the two. That sound it sounds much more grown up, more linn Uphorik than CA 640p as my memory serves. Bass is deeper and tighter, without that roll-off that the 640p has in stock form. The treble seems more delicate than i remember and overall it sounds more grown up.

For the money I'd struggle to think of anything I'd be tempted to take instead of it, which is about as good a recommendation as one could hope for.

I'd be very keen to see what Jez can do from the ground up. His mods to the 640p move it on significantly from the stock item so one would assume he can bring even more to the game given complete free reign to create something from scratch.

I plugged it in and played with it last night. Certainly there's a world of difference between it at 100ohms and 2k, which is my preferred for my Benz LP. The changes are just in the balance of treble to mid and bottom end but the effect is pronounced and i certainly prefer it with the correct loading.

It's a while since I had a 640p in my house more than 2 years so I really can't draw a close comparison between the two. That sound it sounds much more grown up, more linn Uphorik than CA 640p as my memory serves. Bass is deeper and tighter, without that roll-off that the 640p has in stock form. The treble seems more delicate than i remember and overall it sounds more grown up.

For the money I'd struggle to think of anything I'd be tempted to take instead of it, which is about as good a recommendation as one could hope for.

I'd be very keen to see what Jez can do from the ground up. His mods to the 640p move it on significantly from the stock item so one would assume he can bring even more to the game given complete free reign to create something from scratch.

Glad you liked it :)

One point though, which I find myself having to state over and over, is that in effect it is not a 640P anymore! It's just that so many people seem to be saying that "compared to the stock version the modded one is xyz blah blah"... It has two stages to it (like the stock unit and like many other units) and the first stage is TOTALLY replaced by my own design and has no similarity to the original. The second stage is a fairly generic circuit and I've kept the same basic design.... but it is heavily modified!

Just trying to set the record straight for all those who seem to think it is going to have some sort of similarity to the stock unit ;)

To be honest, I would have thought that that you would be better just making it from scratch. As it is in a Cambridge case and was a Cambridge unit when it was sent to you, I think it is somewhat inevitable that people are going to compare it to the Cambridge and treat is as a modified unit.

No doubt changing the loading would have helped open up the top end for me - but as it was, I was fine with the balance.

To be honest, I would have thought that that you would be better just making it from scratch. As it is in a Cambridge case and was a Cambridge unit when it was sent to you, I think it is somewhat inevitable that people are going to compare it to the Cambridge and treat is as a modified unit.

No doubt changing the loading would have helped open up the top end for me - but as it was, I was fine with the balance.

I would love to, but as you will be aware the costs involved in making the casework/having the casework made for me, including all the drilling to the required precision and the sockets and the silk screening etc, would be huge when we're only talking very small quantities. I would guesstimate that I would have to charge something like £500 instead of £160! It would still be very competitive at £500 as there is little to rival it at even £1000 but it would no longer be such a mega bargain.

I do have things in the pipeline for an all Arkless model but it will be more like £1500 I should think. Research is in progress at the moment....

Then there is the more expensive version of the Arkless 640P which is also being simultaneously researched ;)

I think you'd be surprised by the willingness of people to part with £550 for a designed in the Uk phonpostage.

Custom made casing is expensive but there are many 'off the shelf' enclosure options that are much more reasonable and can be bought in very small quantities. One can have legends and logos silk screened, or etched. But you can also have a sticker printed and this is much cheaper and is what many small manufacturers do.

Imagine a forum sponsored design with a custom feel, and different levels of upgradability.

It would be fascinating sponsoring a prototype.

You want the DIY Audio forum then - they often do that sort of thing - group designs and group buys etc.

The demo unit arrived here today.

Just wondering about the loading. Is what's fitted suit an Asaka? If not, what should I use?

advertisement

Back