advertisement

Flatpopely NAIM based ABX test - 24th August

could be fun, i've been told that flatty is a good host and it should be interesting.
Without a doubt.

I will have been in Lundun all week so I'll be at home over the weekend. It's not the right date for me but I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Paul, if you had had a chance to partake of the cake in question, you would tell Andrew to yes please go to the trouble of preparing it ...

Paul, if you had had a chance to partake of the cake in question, you would tell Andrew to yes please go to the trouble of preparing it ...

I won't, Mrs P will :D

P.S. I'm getting the feeling that whatever the result neither side will consider my test 100% valid .........

I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that I'll be able to correctly identify the subjects in ABX testing 100% of the time if we do the test to Malteser cake and curry.

I'm going to get the agenda sorted this weekend and email to those who have indicated that they are coming.

Still four places left, it will be fun, I guarantee it!

Would have liked to be there now that I see the date is August 24. Yesterday I looked for the final report from the listening session.:)

Looking forward to the outcome and the ensuing discussion. Have fun!

Best wishes,
Peter

All the bits have arrived for the ABX speaker switch box. I will build it this weekend and post some pics. Naturally its going into a NAIM Shoebox case.

A copy of this plus my location and contact details will be sent to attendees today.

Introduction
In this document I hope to give you all the information required to attend and enjoy the ABX NAIM test on the 24th August 2013.
Agenda
Start 1:00 pm 24th August 2013 (Don’t be early Mark and I have cleaning and hangovers to get over)
Finish 4:00pm
Pub 6:30:01pm 

The ‘without whom’
YNWOAN (helper and guru)
Sergeauckland (Advise on the actual mechanism for doing a valid ABX test)
pfm – nuff said!

The listening
The primary goal is to have FUN; the secondary aim is to see if people can identify a NAIM Nait v a NAIM separates amp system in a controlled ABX blind test.

A single listener at a time will sit in the ‘hot’ seat. I will play the music (about 1 mins worth) via Amp A and then Amp B. I will then proceed to play the track through A or B for a further 8 times, so the samples will be A B X X X X X X X X. I will know what the X related to and all listeners will use the same sequence. A 15 sec gap between each 1 min sample will exist to allow me to cue the track again and switch the box. The switch box and Amps will not be visible to the listener, only the speakers.

Each listener will have a sheet in front of them and they can tick off against the X if they think they are listening to Amp A or Amp B.

The results of this sheet and the listeners preference are NOT to be discussed with anyone unit all the listeners have completed the listening session.

For those not conducting the test they won’t be in the room so that they can’t get used to any nuances in the music that might slew their result.

I intend to choose something no one will have heard.

Once all done, I will collate the results and publish them on pfm

The system
Amplifiers to be compared. Note A and B does not relate to the connection to the switch box.

Amplifier A.
NAIM NAIT MK1, red LED version (all original)

Amplifier B.
Preamp
NAIM NAC72.
• NeilJadman 321 and 729 cards fitted
• 5 Teddyregs fitted 1 each for the 321s, 1 each for the 729s and 1 for the motherboard.
• Noble 25k volume pot.
Preamp PSU
Dual Linear PSU housed in NAIM olive shoebox case.
• 120VA with dual 22V secondaries
• Hacker generic rectifier PCB configured for dual positive output in CRCRCR mode.
Power amp
NAIM NAP135s
• Chrome Bumper Version
• Full NAIM service in 2009
Speakers
Linn Kan MKI
Linn Kan MKII stands.
Source
Dell XPS M1330 laptop
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard

I will record/rip something suitable in full uncompressed WAV and replay at the same sample rate and bit depth.

I have built a loudspeaker switching box using a high quality switch. This has three positions so I can select Amp 1 – zero – Amp 2. The box will have its output connected to my Linn via NACA5 cable. The inputs to the box will be via 2 mm mains flex with banana plugs at either end. The runs will be short and as both Amps will ‘see’ the same cable - switch box – NACA5 and speakers so there are no differences between Amp 1 and Amp 2 when selected to play.

The outputs of the amp will be level matched to each other and in individual left and right balance.
Both amps will be measured with a scope so that they do not distort when playing at a reasonable level. This will be achieved by using a 1 KHz test tone applied to the amps and the waveform measured across the speaker terminals.

advertisement

Back