advertisement

Islandscape Photography Course and the X100

Mr Perceptive

Perceptive Member
As some of you may have noticed, I've been up on Mull for the last week, on arrival I discovered that I had left the bag at home containing my SLR, Lenses, and the filters, wide angle lens adapter, battery chargers, etc for my Fuji X100. All I had was my X100, lightweight tripod and three batteries of indeterminate charge!!! I had to make every shot count!

The first full day and the weather was great so we took the boat trip to Staffa and Lunga, on return to Tobermory, I noticed a Land Rover marked up for Islandscape Photography and a flyer in the Land Rover listed available courses and spaces left. I noticed that there were two spaces left on a Photographic Tour on the Thursday. When leaving the pub later I saw the Land Rover on the moved, so hailed it down and had a chat with Sam (the proprietor of Islandscape Photography), I explained to her my situation and how I would like to go on the course on Thursday, she said no problem and offered to lend me an SLR for the day.

Thursday came, the little Fuji was still on the first battery, I was joined by a pair of American ladies on a Scottish Tour. After an introductory classroom session (with well need coffee), we headed out to the first location. At each location (there were 6 in total), Sam advised us of views and good positions for composition. Her knowledge was very good, and her knowledge of Mull amazing! When asked she would provide technical advice.

I carried on shooting with the Fuji, currently it is my favourite camera and the SLR on loan had a much smaller viewing LCD (350D). Sam was so impressed with the Fuji, that she was scanning secondhand and new adverts on line before we returned!!

On return, Sam selected a number of images, about 15 or so, for review, and briefly went through these. I was pleased with the results straight out the camera and even more pleased when I had subsequently processed them.

It was a very enjoyable day, and although I didn't learn a great deal, we went to some great locations, and had a fun time. What I did learn though will be invaluable and will help with future composition. The course cost was £85 which I thought was good value (up here it costs £60 to go the Staffa and Lunga on a day trip boat!!!!). Sam is very personable, and really made the day with her enthusiasm. I would certainly recommend this day out to anyone on this forum visiting Mull.

All my Mull pictures are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/sets/72157634009184707/ and they all have been taken with the Fuji X100 (base camera, no filters, etc). Processing has been done with Lightroom 4 and Silver Efex 2 (for the monochrome), I still have some more to process and so will be adding to this set over the next few days.

The one's I really like I've included below:-

Ormaig2 sm by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

fingals cave sm by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

glen more sm by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

waterfall, aros sm by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

kilmore standing stones sm by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

http://www.islandscapephotography.co.uk/

wonderful pix. i mostly think one lens and one camera just focuses you on the job in hand. great shots

Local knowledge of subjects & views make the itinerary but your skill and your finger on the shutter make the photographs. Kit helps but not as much as the brain behind the viewfinder.

Keep it up.

Are the panoramic images done by cropping or with the x100 panoramic mode?

Some or each, the long Ben More was using the Panoramic mode, though I've found it pays to use a tripod, and do a sweep to make sure that everything is level, I also have one of Tobermory (though this was handheld, but is straight out the caemar, no post-processing)

tobemory x100 panorama by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

The rest are crops

good work Mr P

I did something similar in Spain a few years back with just an M8, 35mm Cron, one battery, one memory card and four days of shooting.

Thanks for sharing! Interesting experience, great location and nice shots to boot. This is quite a good range of situations for just one day!

I'm off on a shoot in Bangkok this week, i will leave at home the Pentax 67 and Leica S2 outfits.... will be taking the Plaubel Makina 67 with fixed lens. Sometimes less is more!

advertisement

Back